P4 Hard Set Altitude limit?

Reaction score
Anyone else notice this in the specs?

Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 19685 feet ( 6000 m )

( Software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point )

That sounds like an insanely impressive capability, but I wonder if you can change that 400' limit like you currently can?

I think it's preset from the factory at the legal 400ft. but able to go higher when you toggle the settings in the app. At least, that's what it comes across as...

Reactions: yourpalbigal
I think it's preset from the factory at the legal 400ft. but able to go higher when you toggle the settings in the app. At least, that's what it comes across as...
400 ft is not the legal limit.

Oh, I thought you had to fly under 400ft. Hmmm
Nope not in the US. The FAA recommends that you fly under 400 feet but it is not a law. At least not yet.

Reactions: TWP723
Nope not in the US. The FAA recommends that you fly under 400 feet but it is not a law. At least not yet.

Oh really? Sweet! Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Yea, I'm hoping that's all this is, a software setting, same as the P3. My fear though, is they've removed that ability. Time will tell I guess.

I think every phantom is listed at 6000m but 500m is the max it allows

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That 'spec.' is referring to max altitude for operation, i.e. air density.

Reactions: Sinisalo
Anyone else notice this in the specs?

Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 19685 feet ( 6000 m )

( Software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point )

That sounds like an insanely impressive capability, but I wonder if you can change that 400' limit like you currently can?

What a tease! Its like buying a Lamborghini with a built-in 40mph speed/throttle limiter...

Please be aware that the US does not set the rules for the world when it comes to drones. Each country has it's own recommended height limit for drones. In the US it is 400 feet. In Canada it is 300 feet, and so on. DJI did not incorporate such recommendations within the DJI GO App for Phantom 2 & 3. I can't see this happening for the Phantom 4 either unless the ceiling height becomes a law. Therefore I would think it's only a default setting and one can override it.

There's a YouTube video of one going over 2000' the guy hit return to home but pushed up on left stick an it climbed to just over 2000' then he stopped, might be able to do that with the P4

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think every phantom is listed at 6000m but 500m is the max it allows
Just to clarify, 6000M ASL is the max level it is rated to fly at. 500M AGL from home point is the max limit in the GO app.

I've flown my P3P at 12,000' ASL at Loveland pass. It flew no different than if I was at the beach, regardless of the thin air.

Please be aware that the US does not set the rules for the world when it comes to drones. Each country has it's own recommended height limit for drones. In the US it is 400 feet. In Canada it is 300 feet, and so on. DJI did not incorporate such recommendations within the DJI GO App for Phantom 2 & 3. I can't see this happening for the Phantom 4 either unless the ceiling height becomes a law. Therefore I would think it's only a default setting and one can override it.

Thanks Capt!

Just to clarify, 6000M ASL is the max level it is rated to fly at. 500M AGL from home point is the max limit in the GO app.

I've flown my P3P at 12,000' ASL at Loveland pass. It flew no different than if I was at the beach, regardless of the thin air.
Power and lift capability are substantially reduced in rarified air at high altitude, but other than that, most other unrelated specs should remain the same.

Keep in mind that the FAA 400 foot guideline is AGL, and DJI only measures above your launch point. You can easily be 1,000 feet above your launch point as measured in DJI GO, and still be fully FAA compliant within 400 feet AGL, if you are flying uphill along a mountainside.

Reactions: gringorio

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj