P4 Flips after motor, shell replacement

Reaction score
Crashed and got an ESC error. Opened shell to replace and discovered main board to esc ribbon cable loose. Had to also install one new motor. After repair, first flight hovered several seconds then flipped upside down. Calibrated IMUs, compass, and now it flips almost immediately.

Triple check motor wiring and rotations. I've been told there is a way to calibrate the ESC to the new motor. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Cable from main board to ESC? The ESC circuitry is part of the main board, so not sure what was "loose". Whatever it is, you need to carefully check connectivity and motor functionality. Are all 4 motors spinning, and revving?
All motors appear to spin at appropriate RPM. Not receiving any ESC Errors either.

483B4641-F8F4-402D-B9EA-43C2453623A9.JPG
Crashed and got an ESC error. Opened shell to replace and discovered main board to esc ribbon cable loose. Had to also install one new motor. After repair, first flight hovered several seconds then flipped upside down. Calibrated IMUs, compass, and now it flips almost immediately.

Triple check motor wiring and rotations. I've been told there is a way to calibrate the ESC to the new motor. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

You can see the ribbon cable here:

Sounds silly but you did put the rotors on the correct posts ?
I once put a new prop on a small drone and it flipped instantly on take off. Just a thought.

Reactions: Stevie_UK
Sounds silly but you did put the rotors on the correct posts ?
I once put a new prop on a small drone and it flipped instantly on take off. Just a thought.
You're right! That's silly.:) I was super careful to label all motors, connections, wires. And photo documented every step.

Not 100% sure. But on a previous Drone I had I needed to tell the ESC which way the motors are supposed to turn.
But had a calibration software that told you to spin each ESC so it knows which is which.
Maybe ESCs are set wrong on your Phantom and FC dont know which is which. IE Back left, Front left etc.. That would cause confusion and a flip

Be Careful with flips. My Phantom 4 flipped over and did a powered flight into the ground from about 200 feet. DJI has repaired it but won't or can't tell me why it flipped. I suspect firmware or software because I have posted on four forums asking for help in making one flip and how to do it and no one can do so. DJI was supposed to produce the data logs from the drone but it was repaired and shipped back before they could do so, after numerous requests! Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj