P4 Firmware v02.00.0106 Released (2017-07-06)

Edspilot

Yep your bang on with what your saying, the wobble and pulsing of motors occurs when flying straight at speeds over 10 mph, this is also true when going sideways and in reverse.

I even disabled all the sensors in the app but still the same.

My theory especially with the camera horizon being back to front is that the IMU calibration is also calibrated on the wrong sides of the aircraft, unfortunately you can't overcome this by doing the opposite when calibrating as the software simply puts the side it wants in the position it would be if calibrated as per its requests.

I'm sure DJI will come through with the fix soon, but if you haven't already I urge you and everyone to make known to them at your earliest opportunity.

Edspilot

You don't need to fly the drone to test the horizon defect, just fire up everything without props on (for safety indoors) and enter camera view, then select adjust gimbal roll in gimbal settings and click away with the drone on a flat surface.

It will soon become apparent that it's back to front

Let me know your findings

IKW

Note that 'testing' things indoors will not be a reliable way to verify things like the tilted horizon are fixed. Houses, especially older ones have a LOT of EMF interference, especially where the compass is concerned. Things like high current wiring (think stove or hot water service), rebar rods in the concrete foundation etc. will upset the compass and cause strange behaviour. Calibrate and test things outside....

Note that 'testing' things indoors will not be a reliable way to verify things like the tilted horizon are fixed. Houses, especially older ones have a LOT of EMF interference, especially where the compass is concerned. Things like high current wiring (think stove or hot water service), rebar rods in the concrete foundation etc. will upset the compass and cause strange behaviour. Calibrate and test things outside....
Hi Goof
I was not suggesting calibrating anything or flying indoors, I am quickly trying to demonstrate that the camera horizon tilt is incorrect.

The impossible has happened, DJI actually released new firmware for the P4. Here are the notes and the link to their post. The firmware DOES have the new flight modes, and login restrictions, but there is no mention as to whether the Tilted Horizon issue has been fixed, like it was for the P4P.

Overview
  • Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0106
  • Remote Controller Firmware: v1.9.2.0
  • DJI GO 4 App iOS:V4.1.3
  • DJI GO 4 App Android:V4.1.2

What’s New
  • Updated No Fly Zone Management.
  • Added Gesture, Draw, Terrain Follow, and Tripod as Intelligent Flight Modes, as well as Trace and Profile sub-modes for ActiveTrack and a Free sub-mode for TapFly.
  • Optimized Smart Return to Home, added Landing Protection, and Precision Landing.
  • For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.

Notes
  • Make sure you restart both the aircraft and remote controller after updating them to the latest firmware. Otherwise, video downlink may be unstable. Re-link the aircraft with the remote controller if they are disconnected.
  • If you are updating via DJI GO 4, make sure you update the aircraft but only after restarting the updated remote controller. Otherwise, there will be an error in the progress bar of the aircraft update.
  • Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
  • Requires the DJI GO 4 app v4.1.0 or later, otherwise the flight will be restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m.
July 6th man i just got this prompt come today,after reading all these pages not sure i want to,just got rid of bugs i dont want any more,,first firmware update required since new 8months ago,just got me bird normal i think i wait long as possible

Reactions: RémyHeli
July 6th man i just got this prompt come today,after reading all these pages not sure i want to,just got rid of bugs i dont want any more,,first firmware update required since new 8months ago,just got me bird normal i think i wait long as possible
Don't update, I wish I'd left it for a month to be proven first.
Hopefully new bug free software will be issued soon, let us who have no option try it first and then and only then try it yourselves.

And I certainly don't believe this , DJI are honestly clueless!! Surprised they didn't tell you to spray the motors with WD40 lol [emoji23]

.. except if you read the other recent thread on this here, people are reporting that it works ...

It is not that leaving the SD card in while you update causes the problem, it is that if you have the problem, removing the SD card and doing a firmware fresh then the calibrations does fix the issue for many people...

Point is, the P4 has no trouble at all remaining stable in high winds, even with gusts +-20KM/h.... It's an 'error' message just for the sake of it....

If you are flying at altitude, without the warning you really have no clue about the wind levels up there until you try to fly into the head wind.

Yes, if you engage sport mode the P4 can handle quite strong winds, but if you lose GPS/Compass and drop into ATTI mode then you are going to be dealing with that wind unaided and that is when we tend to see posts on here about '... my drone just flew away...'.

I don't find it a pointless message at all, it is telling you something that is not obvious from the ground in all cases and lets you know what you will have to deal with if things go wrong so you can make a judgement about how you fly that day.

One should be flying around in ATTI mode at the start of a flight to gauge what the wind is doing before proceeding with one's flight plan... With very little flying hours, many if not most people will learn to pick up on the wind up there just by how the phantom is flying, ATTI mode or not.

DJI should have made this an option, on by default if necessary, "Notify me of dangerous (5m/s?!?) wind speeds". There are already too many icons and messages cluttering the screen during normal flight. Users of tablets aren't as greatly affected, but users who fly with phones don't have as much screen real estate to work with :(

One should be flying around in ATTI mode at the start of a flight to gauge what the wind is doing before proceeding with one's flight plan...

I agree, but care to guess how many owners can even fly in high winds with ATTI mode at all, let alone do it on a regular basis at the start of every flight?

Much of what DJI do is focused on those who cannot really fly yet firmly believe they can so we end up with stuff that cannot be turned off so DJI can say 'we warned you' when things do go wrong.

I wish it was otherwise, but I understand why it is not...

I guess it could always be worse....

IMG_1328.png

....I hope I don't give DJI any ideas.....

.. except if you read the other recent thread on this here, people are reporting that it works ...

It is not that leaving the SD card in while you update causes the problem, it is that if you have the problem, removing the SD card and doing a firmware fresh then the calibrations does fix the issue for many people...

My question is,, how do you do a "refresh" of the firmware when is already has the current firmware? Where do I go to do that? It was apparent before I did it,, it came up..

Thanks,
edspilot

My question is,, how do you do a "refresh" of the firmware when is already has the current firmware? Where do I go to do that? It was apparent before I did it,, it came up..

You use DJI Assistant 2 on a PC/Mac

You use DJI Assistant 2 on a PC/Mac

Thanks!

My situation is that I fly this P4 for the owner of this P4. Do I need anything to use the DJI Assistant on his behalf, (sign-on and p/w)? I have this just wanted to know what I might need to be ready to complete the process and do the "refresh?"

Thanks,
edspilot

Yes, you will need to log-in when you run DJI Assistant 2

Thank you!

I have all the info and ready to start. Wish for the best....

edspilot

After several hrs chatting w/ dji tech support about my bird after I updated I have re loaded & re calibrated everything w/ 3 different tech guys. I can not go back firmware. Now they tell me it's my phantom that is the problem not their firmware. They want me to send it back. Lucky for me it's less than 2 months old. "It should be covered" at least that's what they told me. I'll update when I get it back.

If you are flying at altitude, without the warning you really have no clue about the wind levels up there until you try to fly into the head wind.

Yes, if you engage sport mode the P4 can handle quite strong winds, but if you lose GPS/Compass and drop into ATTI mode then you are going to be dealing with that wind unaided and that is when we tend to see posts on here about '... my drone just flew away...'.

I don't find it a pointless message at all, it is telling you something that is not obvious from the ground in all cases and lets you know what you will have to deal with if things go wrong so you can make a judgement about how you fly that day.

I agree with you. BUT, the sensitivity should be toned down a bit.

Showing pointless or too many same messages will not deserve as pilots will ignore them. Then they might ignore more important messages convinced the system is too verbose and exagerating.

Also pilots wants keep focus flying and not be distracted where not needed. This can be solved by better tuning sensitivity triggering messages, different way of showing them, with optional sound alerts like real airplanes (human can see and listen quite easily at same time)

Last edited:
Errors the latest update, video cuts, signal and shaking. I have only tried to record in 4k. At 30fps.
I do not understand how DJI can get firmware so little worked....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures