P4 does not turn on. HELP!

Reaction score
hi all

So excitedly ordered my new p4 and it arrived last night. Charged everything up and turned it onnjust like the manual said. Managed to connect the drone to the dji app for about two seconds and then the drone switched itself off!! Didn't even manage to fly

After that the drone just would not turn on. The battery is definitely working as whenever I insert and press the power button four lights come on and then I press and hold for two seconds the drone makes a small whirring noise and then just turns itself off! I cannot even update the firmware as the drone won't keep itself turned on at all!

When I remove the battery from the drone and turn the battery on by itself the four lights stay on. It's just when I place it in the drone it turns itself off pretty much immediately!

Please help!

Hmmm... As annoying as it is... I would recommend trying to download the firmware on the laptop and transfer it to the SD card. Then pop the SD card in the phantom. If same problem then I would def exchange it. Heart breaking I know. But you don't want it to cut out in mid air if it does fly. But hopefully @msinger might be able to help out here

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hmmm... As annoying as it is... I would recommend trying to download the firmware on the laptop and transfer it to the SD card. Then pop the SD card in the phantom. If same problem then I would def exchange it. Heart breaking I know. But you don't want it to cut out in mid air if it does fly. But hopefully @msinger might be able to help out here

Thanks. Gonna try that. Just frustruating as it really shouldn't be that hard to operate it!

Usually you turn on the phantom, link the controller and start up the phantom and it should then download the firmware. As silly as it sounds have you YouTube the problem in case someone may have a fix

Usually you turn on the phantom, link the controller and start up the phantom and it should then download the firmware. As silly as it sounds have you YouTube the problem in case someone may have a fix

Yeah it seems really odd ! Have googled it most people have battery problems where the signal is weak and it says so on the app. But mine won't even get through the connecting to the phone bit as the drone won't stay turned on!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This is what I'm having problems with

hi all

So excitedly ordered my new p4 and it arrived last night. Charged everything up and turned it onnjust like the manual said. Managed to connect the drone to the dji app for about two seconds and then the drone switched itself off!! Didn't even manage to fly

After that the drone just would not turn on. The battery is definitely working as whenever I insert and press the power button four lights come on and then I press and hold for two seconds the drone makes a small whirring noise and then just turns itself off! I cannot even update the firmware as the drone won't keep itself turned on at all!

When I remove the battery from the drone and turn the battery on by itself the four lights stay on. It's just when I place it in the drone it turns itself off pretty much immediately!

Please help!

Weird, unless there is an issue with either the drone or the battery (do you have a spare fully charged one to try?). I know from personal experience that if I am not concentrating on starting the controller/drone in a particular sequence, that I inadvertently turn the battery off. Turn it on, wait for the battery to do its self check and then press and hold the button a second time and the actual charge of the battery is displayed (number of lit segments) and away it goes. Unless there is an internal fault with the drone draining the arse out of the battery when you do this, or the battery itself is u/s, then it sounds like a warranty job.

Weird, unless there is an issue with either the drone or the battery (do you have a spare fully charged one to try?). I know from personal experience that if I am not concentrating on starting the controller/drone in a particular sequence, that I inadvertently turn the battery off. Turn it on, wait for the battery to do its self check and then press and hold the button a second time and the actual charge of the battery is displayed (number of lit segments) and away it goes. Unless there is an internal fault with the drone draining the arse out of the battery when you do this, or the battery itself is u/s, then it sounds like a warranty job.
I am a beginner too, so I don't know whether my remark is useful, but although I have now done about 8 - 10 flights I have constantly the issue of the DJI app telling me that the drone is "disconnected".
Then switching off RC and aircraft and disconnecting the cable, and then 1) switching on the RC 2) switching on the aircraft 3) reconnecting the cable it will connect in about 50% of the cases. Quite annoying, but as a beginner I ...

Reactions: Neon Euc
I am a beginner too, so I don't know whether my remark is useful, but although I have now done about 8 - 10 flights I have constantly the issue of the DJI app telling me that the drone is "disconnected".
Then switching off RC and aircraft and disconnecting the cable, and then 1) switching on the RC 2) switching on the aircraft 3) reconnecting the cable it will connect in about 50% of the cases. Quite annoying, but as a beginner I ...
What I noticed is that you must make sure that the last thing you do is connect the cable to the phone. So start up the drone, controller and app (make sure USB cable is not in the phone) then when that is done connect the cable to the phone. It should work first time. Let me know if that helps

Sounds like the OP got a bad unit. Time to exchange it.

Fwiw, my first two P4's were defective out of the box, but Best Buy readily exchanged them in about 10 minutes. Quality control, or lack of, sometimes happens. Someone is running a Mavic poll and currently shows 43 owners and 24 are having "issues" of some sort. Poll: Having trouble with your Mavic? Update here (17 reported) Early release real-world beta bugs perhaps.

Bad drone or bad battery. Seems to me it could be either. If it's the only battery he has then it will be hard to test out. Either way, sounds like the whole unit needs to be returned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.