P3S robustness and what to do in a downed bird situation

Reaction score
Well it had to happen at some point. Just had the Phantom out and forgot how long it takes to stop at speed and realised it also had a tailwind. Smashed into 7 ft high fence, flipped, and dropped 7 ft into the lawn at speed. I saw this in super slow mo in horror, it was just laid on its back stopped. I turned the remote off and dashed over without thinking grabbing the landing gear and picked it up when the rotors kicked off full speed again luckily missing my leg and started mowing the lawn. I managed to turn if off on the back and breathed a sigh of relief, at least the motors were still working.

In a situation like the above can the motors be shutdown still by the controller?

I have to admit I'm actually seriously impressed with the P3S's robustness. I tried taking off again which was fine but I had no video transmission, landed it and then restarted the lot and it was fine. Cleaned it up to get rid of all the grass and it's fine. Performed a IMU calibration and gimbal calibration to be on the safe side, ordered some new spare props since I guess they should be replaced?

Is there anything else I should be checking?

Many thanks

Well it had to happen at some point. Just had the Phantom out and forgot how long it takes to stop at speed and realised it also had a tailwind. Smashed into 7 ft high fence, flipped, and dropped 7 ft into the lawn at speed. I saw this in super slow mo in horror, it was just laid on its back stopped. I turned the remote off and dashed over without thinking grabbing the landing gear and picked it up when the rotors kicked off full speed again luckily missing my leg and started mowing the lawn. I managed to turn if off on the back and breathed a sigh of relief, at least the motors were still working.

In a situation like the above can the motors be shutdown still by the controller?

I have to admit I'm actually seriously impressed with the P3S's robustness. I tried taking off again which was fine but I had no video transmission, landed it and then restarted the lot and it was fine. Cleaned it up to get rid of all the grass and it's fine. Performed a IMU calibration and gimbal calibration to be on the safe side, ordered some new spare props since I guess they should be replaced?

Is there anything else I should be checking?

Many thanks
Yes. You can shut down a Phantom's motors in an emergency. Do the Startup CSC (both sticks all the way down and all the way to the center) DO NOT OPERATE THE CSC IN MID FLIGHT. THIS WILL MAKE IT DROP OUT OF THE SKY LIKE A ROCK.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl