P3S - Can't change max distance to over 500m?

Rip

Reaction score
just bought a used P3S, I've updated firmware, read the manual, charged the batteries, connected to my mobile device but I can't set the max distance to anything over 500m.

Do I have to have the "Enable Max Distance" toggle switch green or not (on or off)? With it on I can only enter a max of 500m, with it off the max distance box disappears, so does that mean my range is not limited by software?

Reactions: Flying Pilgrim
just bought a used P3S, I've updated firmware, read the manual, charged the batteries, connected to my mobile device but I can't set the max distance to anything over 500m.

Do I have to have the "Enable Max Distance" toggle switch green or not (on or off)? Either way I can't input anything greater than 500m...
Yes, you do.... Green = on

So if don't want a range limit of 500m I have to toggle the switch to off?

Thanks, so 'Off' it is then!

Yes set to off. I have an Argtek Antenna on my RC so get near 3 miles distance.
14900 FEET DISTANCE.jpg

Attachments

• STATS 17 MARCH 2017.jpg
    STATS 17 MARCH 2017.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 608
I've only done 6 flights now, I have an ARGtek and the furthest it will go is 400m before loosing RC and Video signal :-( I'm going to have to order a DBS kit something.
For heavens sake - just go and fly somewhere else, with less interference, as I think that's your issue....
Oh and sorry about my confusing post earlier - what's I was trying to say was green means restriction is on!

I did actually go somewhere more open yesterday afternoon and manged 400m distance before loosing RC and video signal. Still not great at all.

Trying going on eBay and get some cheap wifi booster for 5.8ghz and either magic power it and boost the video up to 27dbm from 14dbm or try a 2.ghz wifi booster

Would I not just be better off getting a DBS kit and just selling ARGtek on eBay for like £25. The DBS looks neater, it's smaller and supposedly has better range no?
I'm completely new to quads and video transmission so would like a simple all in one solution.

I used to get around 300m of range before both the RC and image transmission would cut out. But I magic powered my bird (from CE to FCC mode) and am getting 520m of range with the stock antenna and 27dbm magic power mod. At 520m the RC cuts out but the image transmission is still strong [emoji3] I'm just waiting for an $8 parabolic windsurfer to boost the RC signal a bit more and I'll be cheering!

Reactions: Rip
I live in Europe, I was unaware of the wifi limit in the EU and the Magic Power software mod, I've already ordered a DBS antenna so:

Does this EU wifi range limit still apply with aftermarket antennas? Basically will I still have to do the Magic Power mod after installing my DBS antenna?

Since the firmware update have you logged into your account, until you log in I believe there is a limit set on the drone.
hth

You mean log out of the app and then back in? No I don't think I've done that since updating the firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Technical Bob
Click bait story, but it was the first to mention the limits until I found the thread on here.

I live in Europe, I was unaware of the wifi limit in the EU and the Magic Power software mod, I've already ordered a DBS antenna so:

Does this EU wifi range limit still apply with aftermarket antennas? Basically will I still have to do the Magic Power mod after installing my DBS antenna?

What Magic Power does is simply tweak a bit of setting in the drone that determines the output power of the image transmission signals, not the remote control signals. MP overrides restrictions based on your location and allows for maximum performance possible.

The DBS antenna will more so improve your remote control signal, rather than dramatically improving the video signal (although some can do this well too). If you wish to further improve your signal quality overall, you can combine MP and the DBS antenna, however when using the mod you shouldn't change the output power past 20dbm (from memory, please correct if anyone knows otherwise) so you don't burn out anything.

Sorry if this comes across as confusing, but definitely ask for any clarification [emoji3]

Reactions: Rip

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan