P3S 2.4 antenna leads broke during crash

Reaction score
Good day! I am a new flyer and unfortunately crashed yesterday breaking the gimbal bracket which is an easy fix. But also broke the u.fl leads for the two 2.4 wires leading inside the unit. It is my understanding this cannot be crimped or soldered back together. I have researched the forum and many have added modified dipole antennas to the bird replacing these and just leaving the old flat receivers inside the birds. These OEM antennas are 18ish dollars and appear to have 3M adhesive on them. Would there be a reason not to adhere them to the outside of the body somewhere instead of going thru the hassle of opening the bird up? Or is it better to do the dipole mod? Please advise. Thanks so much. This forum is always very helpful.

Good day! I am a new flyer and unfortunately crashed yesterday breaking the gimbal bracket which is an easy fix. But also broke the u.fl leads for the two 2.4 wires leading inside the unit. It is my understanding this cannot be crimped or soldered back together. I have researched the forum and many have added modified dipole antennas to the bird replacing these and just leaving the old flat receivers inside the birds. These OEM antennas are 18ish dollars and appear to have 3M adhesive on them. Would there be a reason not to adhere them to the outside of the body somewhere instead of going thru the hassle of opening the bird up? Or is it better to do the dipole mod? Please advise. Thanks so much. This forum is always very helpful.

I don't think there would be any issue doing that, but most will agree that you will get better results with the dipole antennas installed. If you already have the Part 97 antennas, which are really hard to find, I don't see why you can't install them on the outside, other than the aesthetics of it.
Personally, I didn't want to open up the phantom 3 and replace the interior antennas because I didn't want to mess with the main board, which you have to remove to get to the internal 2.4 ghz antennas. Thats why I chose to mount exterior antennas.

Wow, if I've counted right, you are the 4th person to post about this (including yours truly) since I joined the forum a couple weeks ago. That is, crash damage, breaking the gimbal plate and the two broken antennae wires. The plate replacement is real easy and, I think, designed to be the first part to break protecting that more expensive gimbal/camera. But really? Why are those antennae wires routed that way? That's a really bad design methinks, especially with regard to the cumbersome disassembly required to make the repair. Sorry, just venting a bit.
I understand if you want to keep the bird stock, so mounting them exterior should work. I would worry about them falling off, so think about how to make them secure...maybe some sort of bracket affixed to the legs or something like that?

Wow, if I've counted right, you are the 4th person to post about this (including yours truly) since I joined the forum a couple weeks ago. That is, crash damage, breaking the gimbal plate and the two broken antennae wires. The plate replacement is real easy and, I think, designed to be the first part to break protecting that more expensive gimbal/camera. But really? Why are those antennae wires routed that way? That's a really bad design methinks, especially with regard to the cumbersome disassembly required to make the repair. Sorry, just venting a bit.
I understand if you want to keep the bird stock, so mounting them exterior should work. I would worry about them falling off, so think about how to make them secure...maybe some sort of bracket affixed to the legs or something like that?

They are that way because the 'wi-fi' modual is in the gimbal and the antenna are in the body. :)

They are that way because the 'wi-fi' modual is in the gimbal and the antenna are in the body.

I realize that. A better design would have been to route the antenna connection through a connector so the the connector comes loose without breaking the wire. Or, minimally place the antennas where they can be replaced easier.

I realize that. A better design would have been to route the antenna connection through a connector so the the connector comes loose without breaking the wire. Or, minimally place the antennas where they can be replaced easier.

putting connectors in the RF line will degrade the signal and introduce possible 'noise' on the signal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers