P3P Stok antenna vs. Argtek range extender Range Test

Reaction score
Some guys on youtube mod their P3S stock antennas to Argtek range extenders and got a very impressive range so I think if they could get these range with 3A why not 3P? So I upgraded my P3P stock antenna to Argtek (Blue Proton). I was so excited after replacing the antenna and immediately did a range test but was quickly disappointed with the result. I did a test at a site where I used to fly my AC with the stock antenna I used to get 1.5KM range, with the newly installed argtek I got roughly the same range around 1.5-1.7KM. So I thought it might be due to high interference or antenna cable connection problem in the RC that limits the potential of argtek. I had to admit that the doubt in my mind had bothered me since I did the mod and I always wanted to find out if argtek is worthy. Until now I finally had a chance to do what I believe a comparable range test at a beachside hotel where I believe there is very little interference. To make sure I could push the AC as far as comfortably possible, I dismantled the gimbal camera and flew the AC from the seaside straight toward the sea. In the first two rounds I managed to push it to 4~5KM out, the last round with the help of tailwind I pushed it out as far as 6KM! To clear my doubt about argtek I opened the RC cover and check if there's any loose connection (the mod was done by a drone shop) the two antenna cables were properly plugged into place so I ruled out the connection problem. What I did next was reinstalled the stock antenna and did a range test again at exactly the same site, to exactly the same direction and guess what I got the same range at 6KM! I also found that argtek is very sensitive to where I point my RC antenna (though they call them omnidirectional) the stock antenna, on the other hand, is way better at 2KM when I pointed the RC perpendicular with respect to the AC I didn't see a drop in RC signal which would never happen with argtek. The argtek doesn't help in making my AC less susceptible to interference nor increase signal penetration.
So IMO, the stock antenna is as good as, if not better than argtek range extender. I paid around USD120 for the mod including labour charge, IMO it is absolutely not worth the money I would rather spend it on other 3P accessories. I'm planning to sell the used argtek extender + car kit at the discount and keep my stock antenna. The good thing about the stock is they are ready to fly, unlike argtek I have to assemble and dismantle them each time I fly the AC. After this bad buying decision I really feel that there is no need for antenna mod as Dji has done a really great job in AC range. Furthermore with less than 20 min flight time chances are I will run out of juice before getting the RTH warning.
01Argtek_out.jpg
02Argtek_home.jpg
03Stock_out.jpg
04Stock_home.jpg
05FW version.jpg

Hope you drop a fishing Line while out there :) I got cheap argtec triple antenna with optional gain panels,for me works better than stock,only just,,me p3s bit sad on the range,,which mod did you do,this probly be ok at the coast but no good where I live
1544212877898209425519.jpg

Hope you drop a fishing Line while out there :) I got cheap argtec triple antenna with optional gain panels,for me works better than stock,only just,,me p3s bit sad on the range,,which mod did you do,this probly be ok at the coast but no good where I liveView attachment 106055

I'm glad it works for your 3s but I got the feeling that argtek 3p mod is a failed product. I had a pair of dual band 8dBi 2.4Ghz/5.8Ghz panel antenna and a pair of omnidirectional & two customised antenna cables. In terms of range the panel antenna is worse than omnidirectional I only used the pannel twice.

Reactions: Hariman2000
I'm glad it works for your 3s but I got the feeling that argtek 3p mod is a failed product. I had a pair of dual band 8dBi 2.4Ghz/5.8Ghz panel antenna and a pair of omnidirectional & two customised antenna cables. In terms of range the panel antenna is worse than omnidirectional I only used the pannel twice.
1544232484263.jpg
1544232490782.jpg

Yes I think mine had similar box,my slightly different,my set had the 3 that on me rc and these 2 panels that are 7dbi,and 1 anttenna with 5.8,,not sure what the 5.8 for cause only uses 2.4 ,,
1544233274412-1938880026.jpg

P3S is center 5.8 control signal , outside 2.4 video / telemetry , I have the six antenna package from ArgTek and it made no difference at all , back to stock antenna , ArgTek seems to be hit or miss .

Yes I think mine had similar box,my slightly different,my set had the 3 that on me rc and these 2 panels that are 7dbi,and 1 anttenna with 5.8,,not sure what the 5.8 for cause only uses 2.4 ,,View attachment 106063
I'm not sure about the dual band but I remember reading that some Dji like 3se & spark control signal can be switched between 2.4 & 5.8. The 5.8 may be useful when there is high interference at 2.4Ghz. Have you done a range test on your 3s? What's is the max. range you can get with your argtek antenna mod?

P3S is center 5.8 control signal , outside 2.4 video / telemetry , I have the six antenna package from ArgTek and it made no difference at all , back to stock antenna , ArgTek seems to be hit or miss .
I don't know how many happy owners out there who have their 3p modded with argtek. I agree argtek do produce good antenna mod for 3s but for 3p...No it sucks, for the price I paid I had high expectation it's unacceptable for a price tag of USD100 with "hit or miss" results, I feel i was scammed and will NEVER again put my money on this Taiwanese brand.

I'm not sure about the dual band but I remember reading that some Dji like 3se & spark control signal can be switched between 2.4 & 5.8. The 5.8 may be useful when there is high interference at 2.4Ghz. Have you done a range test on your 3s? What's is the max. range you can get with your argtek antenna mod?
Duno,,, never done proper range test in open,,was bad at new,probly 100mtrs tops,now probly 4 to 500 tops,that length of me street,,have just brought it back out of box lately and am looking at others but won't get these again,,,buy cheap get cheap result lol,its how we learn by our mistakes,hey I know I buy rubbish to get away with few $$$ but aways bites ya in the bum in the end,if I can get 1km out of it I be very happy,all the wifi issues etc made me buy p4, p3s well used but good condition,it was brought back in 2016,never yet crashed it

I have the argtek kit on my p3s build quality was very poor and was cracked out of the box. I did revive a full refund Au$65 and got to keep the kit . panel antennas were useless I bought aftermarket Omni ant with higher db they work great so dose the argtek 5.8 that came with the kit. I got extra range with it. I would advise anyone considering the mod to just buy the mount and purchase seperate antennas designed for home wifi use. Hope this help Somone out there..

Reactions: edmundC

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31