P3P reflashing controller (gl300a) help

Reaction score
Hello,

In need of some assistance with re-flashing the interface board (davinci) for my gl300a. Have everything wired up and trying to re-flash. I'm confused by the results.

At the end of the prompt, it states ubl1.img file is not present/Interfacing to DM36x via uart failed.

It looks like everything was successful up to that point.

Please see attached screenshot. Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    104.4 KB · Views: 271
I've seen that before many times, but noone explained the issue after fixing it. Here's an example, with some code:

No image transmission signal - P3P
So while I was in the process of trying to figure out what's going on with the gl300a board, I decided to give the gimbal board a shot.

Unfortunately I am an idiot and lifted the copper pad from boot0. I was trying to strip the other end of the wire while it was soldered to the pad. I thought I had held it tight enough my hand to prevent pulling on the pad.....I was wrong.

So Is there anyway to fix the pad? Or another alternate way to short the pad to 3.3v?

I knew better than to do it that way. I'm a bit angry at myself for making a stupid mistake

Skilled technicians can solder even to remainings of a pad or via hole. I even seen a video of one putting a thin wire in place of a missing BGA pad and soldering a component on top. Everything worked.

But that requires skill and precision crafted over years of repairing. Personally, I need to wind down and relax for at least half an hour before attempting anything precise. Not every day I have a luxury to try that.

So - if you don't think you can do it, then that's probably true. No harm in giving it a try though.

Reactions: bterrier
See attached photo. BT01 is the pad that is now missing.

After trying to put the pad back in place, I dropped it and now it is gone forever. Is the material under the pad conductive? If so, I could potentially hold a wire in place to flash.....although not sure of the feasibility of this.

Is this board multilayered? Would it be feasible to drill a hole through where the pad goes?

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Only need to make it work long enough to connect and flash.

The board is essentially busted unless I get this working, so I may as well give repairing it a shot. Can't really do more damage at this point.

Attachments

• 20180913_140812.jpg
    20180913_140812.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 272
No, FR4 is not conductive.

I don't think there's any chance of cleaning mask from the copper path and soldering to it without a microscope.
You probably don't have access to anything like this, so the only way would be to get a repair shop to do it for you.

No, FR4 is not conductive.

I don't think there's any chance of cleaning mask from the copper path and soldering to it without a microscope.
You probably don't have access to anything like this, so the only way would be to get a repair shop to do it for you.

I agree. I just ordered another board.....no idea if it works but it was cheap so I took a gamble. We’ll see when it gets here.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas for reflashing the interface board for the gl300a? I’m in the process of swapping a hard drive and installing windows 7 to see if that makes a difference.

BTW, Thanks for all your help @quaddamage. You have given me a lot of helpful information since I joined this forum a few weeks ago.

Reactions: quaddamage
Tried flashing with windows 7. Still same issue. ubl1.img is not present

Could it be an issue with the ttl to usb converter? Is there a way to try to flash from a MAC?

I ask because I have tried from multiple operating systems, but all from the same machine. I dont have another windows/linux machine, but I do have a macbook I can attempt from.

Last edited:
Ok so I have been researching this issue with flashing the DM36x. I found this thread on the TI website. (Please see last 2 posts)

Flashing NAND via serial port - Linux forum (Read-Only) - Linux (Read-Only) - TI E2E Community

They are discussing utilizing a different file of the sfh_DM36x.exe and had success.

Being that I don't know much about this, I wanted to run this by someone more knowledgeable. Is it safe to attempt the file mentioned in that thread? I just wasn't sure if our .exe file was different due to being used in a dji product, but I would assume it should work.

If someone can just confirm this, I am going to give it a shot.

I attempted the flash using the file referenced above. Still the same issue

Anyone familiar with linux? I am trying to write the command in Ubuntu but I am very new to linux and having trouble. Here is what I have so far.....

mono ph3pns/sfh.exe -nandflash -v -p /dev/ttyUSB0 ubl1.img u-boot.img

I know I am missing something, just says: No such file or directory. Can anyone help me with the code? BTW, I am attempting this in the terminal application and the file is on the desktop, so I changed the directory to desktop via cd ~/Desktop prior to entering the above faulty code.

Last edited:
Make sure mono is installed. Put port into quotation marks. Use "chmod a+rwx *.img".

Can you check my code now?

I'm typing this into Terminal: mono ph3pns/sfh.exe -nandflash -v -p /dev/tty"USB0" chmod a+rwx ubl1.img u-boot.img

I think this code is putting me into the "options menu. (See attached screenshots)

If I run the code below. it appears to start the flashing process but then says permission denied. It states "Flashing NAND with ubl1.img and u-boot.img. Attmepting to connect to device/Permission denied" (see screenshot)

mono sfh.exe -nandflash -v -p /dev/tty"USB0" ubl1.img u-boot.img

Im close but I obviously have something wrong. Can someone assist me with correcting my code to gain the proper permissions and start the flash? Thanks

Here is the code someone else used which I found on the link I shared in a previous post.......alex@alex-desktop:~/.../serial_flash/dm365$ mono sfh_DM36x.exe -nanderase -p /dev/ttyUSB1

Is serial_flash/dm365$ a command or a file? Should I be adding something simiilar?

screenshot.png

screen1.png

Last edited:
Success! Well, sort of.

I was finally able to reflash using this code in Ubuntu:

sudo mono sfh.exe -nandflash -v -p /dev/tty"USB0" ubl1.img u-boot.img

After flashing, I still can’t connect to the dji go app on ipad mini4 or Samsung galaxy S7.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4