P3P, Gimbal Disconnected, No SD, No Video

The RC is a model C. I upgraded the firmware on the RC using an iphone X so does this mean the logs arn't available like they are on an android. Going to read up on connecting the FTDI to the gimbal top board not sure if i need 3.3v or 5v and am a bit lost after connecting will do further reading.

I upgraded the firmware on the RC using an iphone X so does this mean the logs arn't available like they are on an android.

I don't know anything about Apple things. I imagine the app has most of the code shared with Android, so there's likely similar log somewhere.

Going to read up on connecting the FTDI to the gimbal top board not sure if i need 3.3v or 5v and am a bit lost after connecting will do further reading.
All UART interfaces within Dji drones use 3.3V.

Last edited:
Found how to get into logs on iphone have to use itunes. Have added logs not sure what they tell us.

Attachments

• upgradeLog_0.txt
    247 bytes · Views: 1,208
  • upgradeLog_1.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • upgradeLog_2.txt
    6 KB · Views: 1,189
  • upgradeLog_3.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • upgradeLog_4.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,163
  • upgradeLog_5.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,172
I can't find anything meaningful in these ligs.
These seem to be more of "what may be upgraded" log, than a log of what happens during actual upgrade.

I can't find anything meaningful in these ligs.
These seem to be more of "what may be upgraded" log, than a log of what happens during actual upgrade.
Getting a second hand board from eBay on probably Wednesday. It’s off a phantom pro. Does this mean I should upgrade firmware using the Pro version. Will it give me any other complications.

Getting a second hand board from eBay on probably Wednesday. It’s off a phantom pro. Does this mean I should upgrade firmware using the Pro version. Will it give me any other complications.

Just upgrade firmware to the one you have in the rest of your drone, and it should work. No other changes needed.

Just spent a few hours reading up on this issue. I can't believe how scandalose this is. Ive had my P3 pro in its box for about 10 months. It worked perfectly fine before I put it away. I turned everything on last night and forgot to turn the wifi off on my tablet and somehow it ended up updating DJI Go and then firmware on the controller. It Lost video signal and thought I was on inconsistent firmwares due to the update. Updated the P3 Pro as per DJIs instructions and it failed at 1.11 and on the sd log showing these same device error logs. So its now garbage with no video signal! How can they get away with such shoddy practises?

Warning: total off-topic, skip this post if you're just here to fix discussed issue.

I can't believe how scandalose this is. [...] How can they get away with such shoddy practises?

Ha, there's way, way more actions on Dji side which would be unacceptable for EU or US citizens. I bet sometimes Dji employees don't even realize what they do is controversial.

There are many claims against Dji which we can't (or don't have enough will to) fully verify. Western corporations tend to avoid anything which could be perceived as anti-consumer. Dji either lacks that "correctness", or their actions really are targeted at monopolizing the segment and controlling the consumers.

Looking at the electronics within Dji products, Ph3 and Ph4 was kind of laptop-grade, and newer drones go into more Smartphone-grade technology. And most people replace their smartphones every 2 years. So it doesn't look like the longevity will improve with new generations.

Design flaws happen to every company. What is different for Dji is that they never publicly acknowledge them or offer any compensation. And that would be bad by itself, but the fact that Dji forces users to update, even though this leads to some percentage of the platforms no longer working... In the western world, companies do get sued for artificial aging.

The more I am into the drone world, the more I love the products Dji makes, and the more I despite Dji as a company.
There must be a lot of passionate people at Dji. And a few greedy ones as well.

Warning: total off-topic, skip this post if you're just here to fix discussed issue.

Ha, there's way, way more actions on Dji side which would be unacceptable for EU or US citizens. I bet sometimes Dji employees don't even realize what they do is controversial.

There are many claims against Dji which we can't (or don't have enough will to) fully verify. Western corporations tend to avoid anything which could be perceived as anti-consumer. Dji either lacks that "correctness", or their actions really are targeted at monopolizing the segment and controlling the consumers.

Looking at the electronics within Dji products, Ph3 and Ph4 was kind of laptop-grade, and newer drones go into more Smartphone-grade technology. And most people replace their smartphones every 2 years. So it doesn't look like the longevity will improve with new generations.

Design flaws happen to every company. What is different for Dji is that they never publicly acknowledge them or offer any compensation. And that would be bad by itself, but the fact that Dji forces users to update, even though this leads to some percentage of the platforms no longer working... In the western world, companies do get sued for artificial aging.

The more I am into the drone world, the more I love the products Dji makes, and the more I despite Dji as a company.
There must be a lot of passionate people at Dji. And a few greedy ones as well.

Thats the main thing for me as-well. I have a love HATE relationship with DJI. Ive owner their range going back to the S800 right upto my current goto the P4 Pro. The P4 Pro really is the last DJI drone I will buy. It is an almost perfect piece of kit. That being said Ive learned NEVER to touch firmware from them untill its mature. Im running on a an older firmware before all the forced NFZ interventions with VERY buggy unlock procedures (I fly commercially) The only reason I went Down the upgrade path with the P3 was because quite simply I was forced down that path. Now I cant believe a piece of kit Ive invested £1000s in is literally junk or I pay for a repair and which point its not economical to sell on like I had planned.

Just upgrade firmware to the one you have in the rest of your drone, and it should work. No other changes needed.

Just to make sure am connecting everything correctly.

FTDI Gimbal Top Board

RX..............TX (368_U0_TXP)
TX..............RX (368_U0_RXP)
GND.............GND
3.3V............3.3V
5V..............5V

Board connected externally not connected to drone at all.

Run Putty set to serial connection.
Select Com port (10 In My Case)
Select Baud Rate (Not totally sure which to pick)

Connect the 5v to boot the board and hopefully get some output in the window.

If nothing connect the 2 boot points to 3.3V to boot internally ignoring nand ?

Went ahead like this and got nothing until i connected the 2 boot points to 3.3v then a repeating Boot message in window so this means Ambarella is working but Nand isnt ? so try to flash or replace nand next option. Also it seemed to work fine without having the 5v connected is this right ?

Last edited:
3.3V............3.3V
5V..............5V
Either one or the other, connecting both may be a bad idea. If I remember correctly the board creates 3.3 from 5V by itself. Check schematic if you want to be sure.

Select Baud Rate (Not totally sure which to pick)
I think 115200; check the wikis on dji-firmware-tools to be sure.

Besides that, very good plan.

Went ahead like this and got nothing until i connected the 2 boot points to 3.3v then a repeating Boot message in window so this means Ambarella is working but Nand isnt ?

Ambarella has nothing to di with the serial interface you tapped to. You are watching DaVinci. But you're probably right that NAND is not working - either it is damaged, or needs re-programming of bootloader.

so try to flash or replace nand next option. Also it seemed to work fine without having the 5v connected is this right ?
Yeah, either 5V or 3.3V should work, as long as you select the correct one - there are two 3.3V lines.

Is bootloader the same as U-boot ? Then i need TI utilities to do the flashing and u-boot.img. This u-boot.img is that from the texas instruments site or from DJI upgrade files ? and the chip is a DM365 and software is appropriate to that.

U-boot is a popular software, you can read about it on the web.

You should use the version extracted from Dji FW updates.

For details, see diagram and links from the "DaVinci" spoiler section here:
Fix no video feed / black screen / no image transmission / no FPV on Ph3 Pro
Is this a success or has it failed on ubl1.img I have triple checked the image name.

The other part that I dont get is that unless I have board powered up before I start Putty it crashes Putty with a com error. So if i boot by connecting ground or 3.3v Putty crashes. Its Usb 2 port which appears only to support 500mA, so is this the likely problem. Am i best to look for something with Usb 3.0 socket or a powered hub ?

Attachments

• 7733B798-0F43-4354-9212-E43A17B41050.jpeg
    7733B798-0F43-4354-9212-E43A17B41050.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Is this a success or has it failed on ubl1.img I have triple checked the image name.

It failed. I've seen other people complaining about this error too. They claimed the file is where it should be, has proper privileges, and they tried shorter directories or placing the files in root dir. But the problem persists. No idea why; issue with C# libs? It worked for me.

The other part that I dont get is that unless I have board powered up before I start Putty it crashes Putty with a com error. So if i boot by connecting ground or 3.3v Putty crashes. Its Usb 2 port which appears only to support 500mA, so is this the likely problem. Am i best to look for something with Usb 3.0 socket or a powered hub ?

Oh right, maybe that's the problem. I used external powe brick, as the device needed more that 1 Amp of current. I guess if you connect to 3.3V line it may need less, as it will not power Ambarella and STM32.

It failed. I've seen other people complaining about this error too. They claimed the file is where it should be, has proper privileges, and they tried shorter directories or placing the files in root dir. But the problem persists. No idea why; issue with C# libs? It worked for me.

Oh right, maybe that's the problem. I used external powe brick, as the device needed more that 1 Amp of current. I guess if you connect to 3.3V line it may need less, as it will not power Ambarella and STM32.
Bought a powered usb hub. Renamed the file copied it to root. Checked the properties. Still no joy. Does anyone have a solution to it. Can’t see why it’s not seeing file. Are we sending the exact same line both times should second time not be different ?

Attachments

• E3D94137-D47A-44FB-AFD2-EB8698ED5162.png
    E3D94137-D47A-44FB-AFD2-EB8698ED5162.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 267
  • 6B50405F-2EC8-4A14-A669-0D71EEA3AC99.png
    6B50405F-2EC8-4A14-A669-0D71EEA3AC99.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 263
  • 1FCA277D-9364-462D-9111-1E9EDD4DE860.png
    1FCA277D-9364-462D-9111-1E9EDD4DE860.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 258
  • 7CB05AC8-F0ED-42D1-A229-990F07D06740.png
    7CB05AC8-F0ED-42D1-A229-990F07D06740.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 260
Bought a powered usb hub. Renamed the file copied it to root. Checked the properties. Still no joy. Does anyone have a solution to it. Can’t see why it’s not seeing file. Are we sending the exact same line both times should second time not be different ?
Just to add copied the image file to c:\users\”current user” seemed to stop file not found error now I have a new error nand open<>.

Attachments

• 085799B7-D3B2-4508-BF27-815086E97B92.jpeg
    085799B7-D3B2-4508-BF27-815086E97B92.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 271
Then you have the issue I described here:
Fixing flash in DM365 chip within Ph3 Pro gimbal

Sorry, no go without new NAND. You may try rebailing first, though.

Also, after replacing NAND the FPV will only work at 8fps - a fix for that is now being developed; hopefully it will be as easy as connecting to a PC and running a command.

Pity we don't have any service software from Dji..

Then you have the issue I described here:
Fixing flash in DM365 chip within Ph3 Pro gimbal

Sorry, no go without new NAND. You may try rebailing first, though.

Also, after replacing NAND the FPV will only work at 8fps - a fix for that is now being developed; hopefully it will be as easy as connecting to a PC and running a command.

Pity we don't have any service software from Dji..
Ok so I have 2 gimbals original advanced and a pro that i have been working on through these threads. Is there any point in taking nand from advanced and fitting it to pro i understand it would be limited to 8fps for now. The advanced doesnt give any respose to putty although i think i now understand that it cant because it doesnt have DaVinci. Or would i be better trying to flash the nand in the advanced first and take it from there. My head is imploding with trying to learn enough to fix this.

Is there any point in taking nand from advanced and fitting it to pro i understand it would be limited to 8fps for now.

No, and you already know why:

The advanced doesnt give any respose to putty although i think i now understand that it cant because it doesnt have DaVinci.

Or would i be better trying to flash the nand in the advanced first and take it from there.

We don't know how to flash Ambarella NAND, if this is what you're referring to. It is possible, I just never had the need to do so. Though it is harder than DaVinci because Ambvarella A9 datasheet and programming guide are not public.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.