P3P free falls after red 'low (or critical) voltage' error message

Reaction score
I was flying my P3P at about 20 m for less than a minute when an error message on my iPad (DJI GO app) suddently popped up in red with the words 'low' or 'critical low' voltage (I can't remember exactly what it said becuase I was in panic mode). Within a few seconds it dropped to the ground (asphalt) and can no longer be flown. The battery had 52% remaining charge. Any ideas about what happened?

Here's the flight record txt file, but it doesn't make any sense to me....help?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-01_[19-23-28].txt
    80.7 KB · Views: 443
If you look at the battery cell voltages near the end in red....these are extremely low. The battery itself will shutdown when one or more of the cells reaches 3.2 v.......Appears that is what happened.

If you look at the battery cell voltages near the end in red....these are extremely low. The battery itself will shutdown when one or more of the cells reaches 3.2 v.......Appears that is what happened.
Ok, I uploaded the file to generate what you provided. It looks like all of the cells were in red. So does this mean the (entire) battery failed; not just a single cell? And was there anything I could have done preflight to have avoided this crash? Thanks.

And was there anything I could have done preflight to have avoided this crash?
In this particular case most likely not. The first rule here is you should never takeoff on a partially charged battery. This is asking for trouble.
Do you know haw many charge cycles were on this battery and did you maintain it properly? Those are just generic questions, but these batteries as you may or may not know are very finicky about proper maintenance. Unless you had far too many charge cycles, or it was improperly maintained, this should not happen. Not much more I can offer for you other than that. Iv'e seen this happen many times unfortunately, but it is usually a single cell that causes the battery shutdown, not all 4 cells.

In this particular case most likely not. The first rule here is you should never takeoff on a partially charged battery. This is asking for trouble.
Do you know haw many charge cycles were on this battery and did you maintain it properly? Those are just generic questions, but these batteries as you may or may not know are very finicky about proper maintenance. Unless you had far too many charge cycles, or it was improperly maintained, this should not happen. Not much more I can offer for you other than that. Iv'e seen this happen many times unfortunately, but it is usually a single cell that causes the battery shutdown, not all 4 cells.
I normally launch with a fully charged battery; this was my first (and last) exception. I have known for sometime I was not keeping track of my battery use. So, I don't know how many times the battery was charged. I think there are other things that must be done to properly maintain batteries, but again I guess I failed to complete them. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the damaged aircraft. Buy a used P3P body, parts it out, junk it, upgrade. But certainly I'm going to be more rigorous on battery maintainance and I'm sure there's a website for that! Thanks again. Very helpful.

Reactions: msinger
Great. One last question....is there a limit to how many times a battery can be charged?

is there a limit to how many times a battery can be charged?
With proper maintenance and absolutely ideal conditions if is possible to get 200 cycles. I would retire the battery before that however.

Reactions: rwparkinson
Any ideas about what happened?
The battery reached the critically low level and the Phantom started to auto land at its current location (as designed). While it was auto landing, you flew it over top of a tree. It then finished descending and crashed into the tree.

The battery reached the critically low level and the Phantom started to auto land at its current location (as designed). While it was auto landing, you flew it over top of a tree. It then finished descending and crashed into the tree.
Yep. Bummer. But why the low level if I had 52% charge?

But why the low level if I had 52% charge?
The auto landing was initiated earlier than expected due to the low voltage level. If you're going to fly on an extremely low charged battery (like 53%), you need to go very easy on the sticks. Doing any kind of full stick (or near full stick) movements really puts a lot of stress on the battery. That stress makes the voltage temporarily dip down to lower levels.

The auto landing was initiated earlier than expected due to the low voltage level. If you're going to fly on an extremely low charged battery (like 53%), you need to go very easy on the sticks. Doing any kind of full stick (or near full stick) movements really puts a lot of stress on the battery. That stress makes the voltage temporarily dip down to lower levels.
An expensive lazy mistake. And I was not taking it easy on the sticks. Thanks.

Yep. Bummer. But why the low level if I had 52% charge?
Because the battery % indicator only gives an accurate reading when you start with a fully charged battery.
What really matters is what voltage the battery can deliver to the motors.
In your flight, 7 seconds after launching, when the motors were under load climbing, the battery was only able to give 3.3 volts (per cell).
3.3 volts is the critical low voltage level.

Are you sure about the 3.2V LVC? I’m almost certain that was revised to 3.0V in later DJI battery firmware. We had a lot of unscheduled landings with the 3.2V sag. Adding the propulsion output limitation algorithm has saved a lot of us also.

Are you sure about the 3.2V LVC? I’m almost certain that was revised to 3.0V in later DJI battery firmware.
Not 100% certain, but this could be true in more recent firmware. I just recalled the 3.2 LVC. Either way it's still pushing the battery a bit.

Flydawg, can you elaborate on "maintaining properly," or point me to where I can learn more? I don't do anything, that I know of, other than try to run them down to about mid twenties, percent-wise, and store them that way between flights if I can help it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl