P3P Crash

Strange..

Situational awareness is part of operating a drone. Personally if altitude is low and there is possible obstructions close.. Keep line of sight... If your buried in the monitor in FPV, then get your buddy to spot for you.

I have no opinion on what happened, but if you had a spotter you would know what hit the drone, or would have a better idea what happened.

Contact DJI and send em your logs.. They will probably be able to tell. If they see a failure you will get a new drone.

Edit... Sorry if it sounded like I was scolding.. I didn't mean it to sound that way..

Last edited:
Not a chance you hit the roof. You were at least, at least 4' away. Take a look on your roof for feathers or guts. I'm willing to bet you will find some evidence of a bird having been at the 1st dormer, even if it's poop, it's evidence.

I'm thinking you were blindsided by a bird.

No scolding from me. Hopefully they are through. :p

Another great reply, but i think many of us here are trying to learn if this was a bird strike or total loss of power which would indicate a problem with our new P3's. I think that pointing out the obvious with every day flight procedures is something we all know and which many of us will break now and again. But think this thread should be about the cause of the crash and not how it could have been avoided.

Edit, yes sorry if my post seemed harsh i was just worried with this thread and to alarmed to the matter at hand at the time.

Last edited:
Another great reply, but i think many of us here are trying to learn if this was a bird strike or total loss of power which would indicate a problem with our new P3's. I think that pointing out the obvious with every day flight procedures is something we all know and which many of us will break now and again. But think this thread should be about the cause of the crash and not how it could have been avoided.

I did have a spotter - my young son was in the front yard not far from me. I was controlling from the side yard and only steps away from full view. With those few steps I watched the camera come rolling off the roof. Definitely no bird strike. No feathers or guts, and my son saw no bird. I agree - it looks like something wacked it. It did not hit the roof obstruction. I went back up and looked for the slightest nicks - also looked for feathers just for the heck of it. Tried hooking P3 up to my Mac with the micro USB - it doesn't show up at all so I'll need to speak with DJI regarding what to do.

Did't look like it hit anything to me either! I know there is going to be some differences from people who are used to flying the PV+ going from a fish eye to a 90, but I don't believe you were close enough it hit anything. AS another has said it look like either a motor lock up or a bird waked it.....

So yea maybe a total loss of power like the other crash may have been, seems likely at this point. I do hope you get it sorted and feel for you, i really do.

I did have a spotter - my young son was in the front yard not far from me. I was controlling from the side yard and only steps away from full view. With those few steps I watched the camera come rolling off the roof. Definitely no bird strike. No feathers or guts, and my son saw no bird. I agree - it looks like something wacked it. It did not hit the roof obstruction. I went back up and looked for the slightest nicks - also looked for feathers just for the heck of it. Tried hooking P3 up to my Mac with the micro USB - it doesn't show up at all so I'll need to speak with DJI regarding what to do.

If you look at each frame in turn just as you clear the roof line, something comes from the left, its a shadow and its gone again in a blink. (the haze to the left).

The next frame you see the camera pointing at the arm and you see the blade.

I still think a bird hit the phantom.
It nocked it off course had due to proximity to roof had no time to recover.

Screen Shot 2015-05-03 at 22.08.06.png

I had a motor going out on my P2+V3, but I was at 200'.

If you look at each frame in turn just as you clear the roof line, something comes from the left, its a shadow and its gone again in a blink. (the haze to the left).

The next frame you see the camera pointing at the arm and you see the blade.

I still think a bird hit the phantom.
It nocked it off course had due to proximity to roof had no time to recover.

View attachment 18405

Yea just watched it frame by frame and like you say in the top left something appears to happen before the fall. Some sort of shadowing or bubble comes into view. strange one. Me and my wife have watched that video 20 times now i bet and we didnt pick up on that. hawk eye. well spotted

Looks like it was hit to me, likely a bird. It wasn't a loss of power all the lights were still on. It seems like it moved like it was impacted so I don't think a motor locked up.

Looks like the sun glinting off a piece of dust on the lens. Just the right angle, it seems to build as the craft rotates left and into the sun. It also appears to be too circular, like a speck of dirt or debris.

Got a WiFi router/switch in any of those upstairs rooms?

Would be nice to hear the sounds, but there seems to be no audio? That was clearly an impact.

Looks like it was hit to me, likely a bird. It wasn't a loss of power all the lights were still on. It seems like it moved like it was impacted so I don't think a motor locked up.

Oh yea the lights are still on, i wouldn't make a good air crash investigator me would i.

You definitely did not hit the dormer. Just as the camera gets hit, you can see the see the second dormer fully below the camera. That means that the first dormer was also below the camera. It could be a bird, a squirrel or maybe a chimpanzee.

Reactions: dalebb
If it was total loss of power it would have stopped recording instantly as the P3 shuts off too, now you still got recording when it flips.

Yea just watched it frame by frame and like you say in the top left something appears to happen before the fall. Some sort of shadowing or bubble comes into view. strange one. Me and my wife have watched that video 20 times now i bet and we didnt pick up on that. hawk eye. well spotted

The blob that enters the picture is THE PROPS! I checked the original footage and found a few more frames - also froze a frame to show TWO props

Attachments

• P3_Still.jpg
    P3_Still.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 433
I went back and did a second video edit - this time I slowed the video down to 30%. No bird strike. My son would have seen it, and I was close enough that I would have seen something.

Again, the blob entering from the left is definitely the prop.

The blob that enters the picture is THE PROPS! I checked the original footage and found a few more frames - also froze a frame to show TWO props

That's what I saw and why in my post above that I felt like there was a collision form the outside - I still like the bird idea. Something caused the left front prop to suddenly come into view then return back out of the frame.

Chris

That's what I saw and why in my post above that I felt like there was a collision form the outside - I still like the bird idea. Something caused the left front prop to suddenly come into view then return back out of the frame.

Chris
The rear right motor could of gone into full power

Last edited:
Me and my wife have just been speaking about this and the fact your son was watching. The one thing she has stated is how kids pick up on everything, and most of the time they pick up on things we as adults don't because they are so much more alert with early age on there side. I for one would with out any doubt would trust my 5 year old son if he said no bird had hit it. This might seem to be a very silly statement for me to make to many reading this, but with things i see my son and other kids pick up on i highly doubt his son would have missed a bird strike, especially if he is young and with no reason to lie about the matter to his dad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj