P3P Crash

As I have mentioned, this is something that should not be done. I use these birds to inspect my buildings whenever there is a problem or to check on contractor to make sure that they are doing the work to specifications. Let me tell you, it sure beats climbing up to the roof in the heat or freezing cold.

I almost always stay at least 25 to 50 feet away MINIMUM. Take video and photo and analyze afterwards. Just did a building yesterday and was able to ascertain repair that is need on a roof down to which shingle that needs to be replaced or missing all from about 25 feet away. With 12mp, you can see individual grains on the shingles from 25 ft away when zoomed in.

Just trying to make sure that this bird is O.K. before I put it to work, and that there is inherent problem with the firmware.

FYI today's flight is with 1.1.18 firmware
yesterday of course with 1.1.16

What the heck happen to 1.1.17

I have Inspire & can tell you that within close proximity to an incline can confus the ultrasonic sensors & combined with the repetitive pattern of the shingles made optical sensor confused as well. Possibility the Phantom banked hard left into the house, thinking it's attitude was in error.

The problem with the sensors is they don't confuse themselves until the operator gives inputs so it only freaks out when you move the quad while above this kind of ground underneath. So drifting slowly over a roof may not be an issue however commanding a quicker rotation & forward movement is too fast for the sensors to process & it gets confused.

Wormwood

Reactions: snowghost
Well... that is the problem with FPV. especially with no fisheye wide lens. You probably would not have crashed with a fisheye camera.
It does not seam you cleared it to me.

I agree, you started going up before you got clear. Try flying with prop guards for a bit. The props are really touchy. I sucked a bumble bee through mine once and it shattered the prop.

It did not happened to me when I did the experiment.
I was flying at about 2 to 3 MPH going around in circles over a piece of 4x8 with shingles on it prompted up at a 4/12 pitch. I flew over it about a hundred times using 2 full charges with no instability what so ever. I did the same with a whole bunch of boxes and it worked fine also.
I was in P mode. anywhere between 1 to 3 feet.

It was only when I lost GPS from 14 to 3 that I was able to flip the bird.
So I think GPS has priority over VPS .
I will try to block the sonar with a piece of tape new week and try all these experiment again and determine what is going on

Does Atti mode use the VPS and untrasonic sensors ?
I still have to test.

So far all I lost is one chipped prop with all these tests. I wish DJI will give us a chart on priority of VPSsensors vs ultrasonic vs mode vs height vs GPS so we can set and fly accordingly instead of the end user doing experiments and worse, a lot of inexperience flyer thinking that it is a real RTF craft and crash them.

This thread is too long to follow from beginning to end. Does anyone has a copy of the flightlog

I agree with what others have said about possibly a bird strike. It is spring, birds are nesting, and anything coming into their territory is fair game for them. I would be looking around for a nest, possibly a hidden one under one of the dormers may be possible. Even one in a tree, birds can be very territorial this time of year.

Yes even small birds can kill your bird This was shot just 5 minutes before my bird was downed by one of these little ba$#%$
Thanks to my killer r/c gimbal guard, camera was saved> 2 props and I was off and flying
Even mother nature hates us:(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yes, definitely birds even bees are hazard to drones.
Looks like Alfred Hitchcock horror move "BIRDS" there.
I will land my drone when I see so many birds right away.
A swarm of wasp of bees sucked up into the propeller can definitely do some damage.

I'm shutting off VPS unless I'm indoors or something. I too believe the pitch and shingles of the roof made it try and correct itself to align with the roof angle.

I am also going to turn VPS off until it is more understood. Too many bad crashes are being blamed on it. if you are flying over something close to a roof or a cliff and then go over the edge, it appears it may attempt to drop quickly to get back to the sonic altitude which it had before going over the edge. I need to understand what it does for me better than GPS altitude outdoors. Indoors is a different ball game.

Roof crash - gimbal/camera is off. I wasn't in line of sight when it happened - just offsite at the side of the house. What I can't understand is it looks like I have clearance from the first roof section.

Anyone want to chime in as to the prop hitting the roof OR the P3 malfunctioning - I really don't know. Again, it seems to me that I had enough clearance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It looks like an external impact from something other than the house itself. Like power line or wire that was not visible or a bird. It's also within the realm of possibility that you had a motor failure but it looks more like an impact to me.

It looks like an external impact from something other than the house itself. Like power line or wire that was not visible or a bird. It's also within the realm of possibility that you had a motor failure but it looks more like an impact to me.

I have to agree. Looks like an impact to me.

GOOD GOD MAN!!!!!

you CLEARLY hit the first dormer!!!!

dont blame p3!!!! operator error 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD GOD MAN!!!!!

you CLEARLY hit the first dormer!!!!

dont blame p3!!!! operator error 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there was an impact with dormer 1, dormer 1 is possessed and jumped off the roof and attacked the P3.

Get your family out of there! Sell the house immediately!

Reactions: dirtdummy
I need to understand what it does for me better than GPS altitude outdoors. Indoors is a different ball game.
FYI .. the Phantom does not use GPS for altitude.
While GPS is great for horizontal position, it is very poor for altitude and can easily have an error of 100 ft or more.
The Phantom uses a barometer for much more accurace than GPS can give for altitude.

Some kid with an air rifle, & a good scope. I watched it & I think u cleared it easily

You truly looked to have adequate room to move , good learning curve for my p3 , keep well away from structures that appear remotely close encountered. LOL

we need to understand the interaction between GPS and OPTI when flying in the P mode when you lose satellite, which happens a lot when near buildings. I was able to find a spot at my house very close to ground that I can lose directional control 100% of the time when I fly into this location with the artificial "CLIFF" that I setup. When this happens, only remedy is switch to atti mode or shut down and grab it by hand.
At least I now know what to avoid until they work on the VPS and sonar mode on the next update.
But if you are running low on battery you are screwed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic