P3P Crash

Reaction score
Roof crash - gimbal/camera is off. I wasn't in line of sight when it happened - just offsite at the side of the house. What I can't understand is it looks like I have clearance from the first roof section.

Anyone want to chime in as to the prop hitting the roof OR the P3 malfunctioning - I really don't know. Again, it seems to me that I had enough clearance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You were no where near any protrusions on the roof. No trees or anything. No wind as all trees and bushes were calm.

Reactions: Brent10
Well... that is the problem with FPV. especially with no fisheye wide lens. You probably would not have crashed with a fisheye camera.
It does not seam you cleared it to me.

Looks like you was clear to me, see if you can get the flight log from it for dji, unsure how you do this though, someone will be here to help out shortly.
Hope it works out for you.

Doesn't look like you hit the roof. Looks like one of the motors just completely locked up. Very weird.

Very hard to tell. Looks like you were closer to the end of the roof at the beginning than you were passing the dormer, but from the angle of the camera, looks like you're slanting in toward it and climbing slightly at the end. Although you have reference to the other dormers positions, there's no way for me to tell how close you were to the corner of the one you were passing. Tough call and even tougher luck. Please let us know if you find any info that helps in the log.

I'm curious you said the cam is off, so assuming the gimbal broke? Do you think a protective gimbal guard would have saved the gimbal?

Last edited:
Very hard to tell. Looks like you were closer to the end of the roof at the beginning than you were passing the dormer, but from the angle of the camera, looks like you're slanting in toward it and climbing slightly at the end. Although you have reference to the other dormers positions, there's no way for me to tell how close you were to the corner of the one you were passing. Tough call and even tougher luck. Please let us know if you find any info that helps in the log.

I'm curious you said the cam is off, so assuming the gimbal broke? Do you think a protective gimbal guard would have saved the gimbal?

I would think a guard would have helped. The rest of the bird is perfect. Already reached out to UAV bits - I think he will be fabricating something soon.

Just watched that 5 times and i dont think you have clipped anything, seems you were clear to me. Another worrying post. hope thongs get sorted for you bud.

It's just when the video gets to 12seconds that the camera on the Phantom gets higher than the next protruding roof section. You can tell this by how many rows of roof tiles you can see beyond it. And a couple of seconds later when the crash happens you are higher again. So if all the protruding sections are the same height (which they probably are) then you didn't hit the roof. As suggested it was probably an impact or a malfunction. Looks like an impact to me.

First rule.....don't fly so close to houses.....even if it's yours. You need to have room to play with in the event of sudden wind changes. I know GPS is rock solid but you need to have a certain amount of room for a margin of error.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Meta4 and dirkclod
At 0:14 it seems clear that the front left propellor is spinning and enters the field of view of the camera. That seems like something impacted that propellor. This was before the V3 started to fall, so seems like an external impact to me. I agree with Allezdada that it could have been a bird.

Chris

Reactions: sergekouper
First rule.....don't fly so close to houses.....even if it's yours. You need to have room to play with in the event of sudden wind changes. I know GPS is rock solid but you need to have a certain amount of room for a margin of error.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Probably not what he wants to hear now, and yes your correct with what you say but it would appear at this stage he may have not clipped anything so comments like that i feel are a bit harsh to be honest.

At 0:14 it seems clear that the front left propellor is spinning and enters the field of view of the camera. That seems like something impacted that propellor. This was before the V3 started to fall, so seems like an external impact to me. I agree with Allezdada that it could have been a bird.

Chris

Yes im thinking a bird strike, or a total loss of power. Be interesting to know what tablet was being used with this crash and the other one over on Dji's forum as well. All so how long into the flight were you when it came down.

Last edited:
I agree that you did not hit anything.

I agree with what others have said about possibly a bird strike. It is spring, birds are nesting, and anything coming into their territory is fair game for them. I would be looking around for a nest, possibly a hidden one under one of the dormers may be possible. Even one in a tree, birds can be very territorial this time of year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic