P3P Cracks

Reaction score
Hello,

I just finished a flight and was examing the drone and noticed cracks in the lower shell under the forward port motor. I didn't inspect before I flew, if I did I would not have taken it up. My question is if there is an effective way to repair this myself. This drone has never crashed or had a hard landing. Any insight on how to go about this repair would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis

Hello,

I just finished a flight and was examing the drone and noticed cracks in the lower shell under the forward port motor. I didn't inspect before I flew, if I did I would not have taken it up. My question is if there is an effective way to repair this myself. This drone has never crashed or had a hard landing. Any insight on how to go about this repair would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis
The dreaded cracks,,you can get things like this off ebay or similar,,,bit of glue then stick these on should hold it,,,,,some plastic is rubbish and they normally fracture crack and usually start from screws in motors,,,most phantoms get this unfortunately except p4 range
Screenshot_20190620-110315.jpg

Thanks, I will order these today. My first thought was to take it apart and renforce with fiberglass. The solution you suggest will be a lot easier.
Dennis

Thanks, I will order these today. My first thought was to take it apart and renforce with fiberglass. The solution you suggest will be a lot easier.
Dennis
Be very careful with the screws if you put them on. I used uv epoxy inside instead (the reinforces plates caused some problems)to reinforce the whole motor mount area. Worked great for all three p3ps ...on with really severe cracks is still flying 3 years later.

I put the motor mount reinforcement plates on every P3 I buy no matter if they are cracked or not. In my opinion this is the best, cheapest, easiest fix for the problem. I have never had one start cracking after I’ve installed these plates.
My opinion!

I put the motor mount reinforcement plates on every P3 I buy no matter if they are cracked or not. In my opinion this is the best, cheapest, easiest fix for the problem. I have never had one start cracking after I’ve installed these plates.
My opinion!
Second that... I used the plastic bases from quick release prop guards.That way if I ever need to or want to I can stick the prop guards on in about 10 seconds... kill two birds with one shot.

This a longtime known issue with DJI Phantoms. Something about the torque applied at the factory. Some get it, some don't. I'd suggest finding more about it on the forum from other folks who've experienced the same, then contacting DJI for a comp. repair/replacement of the shell.

Agree with all comments above and I too fit the motor plates works great. When I bought my P3P brand new in the box never opened it already had a couple of cracks on two arms, try and work that one out direct from the factory. Contacted DJI and was told repair would take six months so said forget it and repaired it myself that was several years ago and still flying great and no crack problems with regular checks made. I did some intensive repair testing and came up with the following solution which works extremely well: I make a "V" shape grove in the crack on the surface and sprinkle CRUSHED GLASS (very fine almost powder like) in the "V" grove making sure it's level with the frame and then lay Super Glue in the grove (may need a light sand when set) and it is very strong and durable. Worked for me. Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20