P3P CRACKED AGAIN!

Reaction score
Just noticed cracks near a motor mount, this comes just over a year since I had a new body shell under warranty for the same reason. I intend to pursue DJI and or my supplier for the cost of repairs as although it’s out of warranty there is obviously an inherent issue going on here. Anybody had this conversation with DJI?

22136776-CC5A-435E-8066-EAEFD18EC613.jpeg

Last edited:
obviously an inherent issue going on here. Anybody had this conversation with DJI?
This has happened quite often over the years, unfortunately. Not much that can be done other than attempt a "fix" yourself. If this is an out of warranty case, even though it was repaired under warranty previously, your options are quite limited in that regard. Inside the shell, you will most likely find the screw mounts cracked as well. I will say this area is the most prevalent of all the stress cracks I have seen and those have been quite a few.

Reactions: zac444
Just noticed cracks near a motor mount, this comes just over a year since I had a new body shell under warranty for the same reason. I intend to pursue DJI and or my supplier for the cost of repairs as although it’s out of warranty there is obviously an inherent issue going on here. Anybody had this conversation with DJI?

View attachment 108688
No harm in trying,since just out of warranty,could order one just in case,easy to change,,it's stupid cause some crack some don't,,even if you got original props check that they are balanced to prevent unwanted vibration

One cause is the motor mount screws torqued too tight. Loosen then retighten so they're firm, but not overly tight. There are several plastic adhesives that can be used to seal the cracks and stiffen things back up. I've repaired mine several times to where it's almost ugly, but still solid and flies properly. Those motor mounts are the load bearing and strain points on the Phantom and should have been a bit more robust.

I think I naively imagined that the new shell DJI fitted would be a modified / upgraded version - planley not, they just replaced it from the same stock of defective shells.

No harm in trying,since just out of warranty,could order one just in case,easy to change,,it's stupid cause some crack some don't,,even if you got original props check that they are balanced to prevent unwanted vibration
The new shell was fitted when it was about 10 months old and that was nearly a year ago so we’ll out of warrenty now but only flown about 10 hours since the new shell - it’s disappointing to me that DJI clearly haven’t addressed the problem but then again it’s no longer a current model so maybe they’re just not interested.

The new shell was fitted when it was about 10 months old and that was nearly a year ago so we’ll out of warrenty now but only flown about 10 hours since the new shell - it’s disappointing to me that DJI clearly haven’t addressed the problem but then again it’s no longer a current model so maybe they’re just not interested.
DJI addressed the problem- the P4’s don’t seem to have this issue.

The shells are cheap- anyone with basic mechanical aptitude and simple hand tools can manage the replacement in the time it takes to drink three beers.

I had one done by DJI under warranty and have done several myself since.

Yes you probably could argue manufacturing/material defect and probably have a good chance of getting DJI to come to the party here but for the potential savings that probably isn’t worth your time. Order a shell and get on with it.

Best preventive measure one can take as soon as they acquire a DJI Phantom is to back off those screws a little, as NM_Quad said.

Reactions: Deezbs
Is there a manufactured date range where this is an issue with the P3P or is it a general issue with the entire model run?
I bought one new in 2017 and haven't used it much. I'm wondering now if I should loosen those a bit

Is there a manufactured date range where this is an issue with the P3P or is it a general issue with the entire model run?
I bought one new in 2017 and haven't used it much. I'm wondering now if I should loosen those a bit
No. Any date from the first P3 leaving the production line to the last seems to cover it.

Reactions: Firehawk
This has happened quite often over the years, unfortunately. Not much that can be done other than attempt a "fix" yourself. If this is an out of warranty case, even though it was repaired under warranty previously, your options are quite limited in that regard. Inside the shell, you will most likely find the screw mounts cracked as well. I will say this area is the most prevalent of all the stress cracks I have seen and those have been quite a few.

Not a chance, dji will blame it on crashes ur not telling them. That's why I don't get insurance. They will blame it on neglecince.

Reactions: Sirsly
FYI if your interested in trying to repair yourself, I use a product called RapidFix. It's a two part kit, basically super glue on steroids with a filler powder that makes the damaged area stronger than original. This product is similar to the stuff they use to repair rock chips on rotor blades of helicopters.

Plastic cracks like that occur because of 2 main reasons. 1. Screws are overtorqued, and 2 thermal stresses when operating drone in cold weather. Any temperature gradient near the screws and motor area (especially when u have cold shell and warm/hot motors) will more than likely generate heat-induced stresses/cracks.

Reactions: lallhands
I used these motor reinforcing plates after I had done the business on multiple stress cracks. First drill killed then hot needle stitch welded the cracks. A few dribbles of “Mannol 9904” Epoxy Plastic applied with a cocktail stick for neatness. Use your own choice of epoxy, I just took a chance on the first epoxy plastic I came across. Repair is rock solid.
Just be sure not to over torque the new screws which are supplied with the kit. Check the sizes before you fit the plates.
“Plates” is a bit of over statement as they are made of light pressed aluminium. Sufficient for the job.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQ33LCS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_dauBCbWW1193Y

It's a general issue. Design flaw. There aren't defective ones out there. Essentially, they are all defective. Despite what all the awesome people here say, changing the shell sucks. Use some superglue and baking soda. Fly it for the camera work, as these aren't racing drones.

I agree about the screws possibly being over tourqed. I also believe freezing cold weather can be very hard on plastic, but also sitting in the hot sunlight could be bad as well.

Mine did this 3 years ago.After reading all the fix's ,I just decided to wrap with clear strapping tape. Worked for me

Plastic cracks like that occur because of 2 main reasons. 1. Screws are overtorqued, and 2 thermal stresses when operating drone in cold weather. Any temperature gradient near the screws and motor area (especially when u have cold shell and warm/hot motors) will more than likely generate heat-induced stresses/cracks.
No, at least with the exception of the over tightening issue (which is a likely contributor) the temperatures (absolute and differential) probably has no relavence. Poor mould design and injection pressures and cooling during production are what we are suffering from.

Reactions: AuldGimpy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan