P3P Camera off center

Reaction score
I have a P3P and the camera is pointing towards the left of drone. I have recalibration of IMU, Gimbal and compass. I looked at the screw for gimbal, it seems to be square to flat side of shaft. It functions correctly at start up but goes slightly off center and films landing gear when in motion.
I have looked over most of the threads and tried most fixes for similar problems but mine has not been fixed. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted in discussion first time.
I changed stickers to red for U of L Cardinals, wife went to school there.

Drone Camera off Center 1st.jpg
Drone Camera off Center 2nd.jpg

Magnet on the yaw shaft moved. You see, yaw arm doesn't have a sensor board like pitch and roll with physical potentiometer on it. Yaw arm has magnetic sensors on the main gimbal board and there is a small round magnet on the yaw motor shaft and depending on the position of that magnet (yaw arm) those magnetic sensors will read the value and send it to the main processor on the main board and that's how yaw position gets centered. If that magnet turns either way the effect will be that the yaw position will be skewed like in your situation.
Problem is that these magnets are so frail that if you grab it with plyers it will just break. You need a new motor that has that magnet perfectly centered like on stock new gimbal.
Sorry for a long write up. Hope it helps understand why this is happening for some.

Thank you for your advise. Where can I purchase a new motor? and how much are they?
I know it has been over 2 years but I just replaced my gimbal main board, the ribbon cable for the gimbal assembly and the yaw motor and all works fine but the camera centers to the left or right. Have checked everything I have read on all related posts and was wondering if a new yaw motor fixed your problem.

Anyonew have a photo of that magnet on a yaw shaft? I always knew the sensor is magnetic but could never pinpoint location of the magnet..

It is the ring on the shaft. I read that it was very brittle and would break if a little force was applied and that is true. Here is my old one that I replaced when the cable burned in two. The ring is no longer in place but part of it is still hanging on to the shaft. The best I could determine there were 2 or 3 points of magnetism on the ring.
20190705_102521[1].jpg

Reactions: quaddamage
Csparks is it the thing I have coloured red in the attached photo?

Attachments

• poss sensor mag yaw mount.jpg
    poss sensor mag yaw mount.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 295
Reactions: joeruby
Looks like the magnet

Yep, that's it. Magnet encoder on a motor shaft is used with magnetic sensor to read absolute position of the shaft.
Found several engineering articles on it, and even videos.

but don't know how to get it on the shaft correctly.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'd just go with finding the proper position and then hot glue.
I has been over a year since I last fixed a gimbal; I wonder if I can find one to try it on..

Yep, that's it. Magnet encoder on a motor shaft is used with magnetic sensor to read absolute position of the shaft.
Found several engineering articles on it, and even videos.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'd just go with finding the proper position and then hot glue.
I has been over a year since I last fixed a gimbal; I wonder if I can find one to try it on..

My old yaw motor and the new one looks like the magnet is pressed on. I would have to study to figure out the precise orientation of the ring and not sure I would be able to do that. I would almost send my drone to you to see if you could get it going. Supposed to have another yaw motor in today or tomorrow, contacted the seller and they preferred to send another one rather than credit me. If the new one doesn't work may send it in to the service center.

The linked to thread includes a link, provided by quaddamage, to possible replacement sensor rings https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=magnet+encoder+ring&switch_new_app=y
Thank you. I think one of the components I bought was from that site. I had to replace the yaw motor as the ribbon cable to it was burnt. The yaw motor was only $16 but the magnetic ring was not positioned correctly so after taking it apart and moving the ring and putting it back together to test after 7 times I got it but now it has a slight case of "chicken dance".

Whoops, I thought I had posted #13 in the thread

"p3p-camera-misalignment"

Did I make a mistake or has this been moved?

Going to try to replace my your motor, and somehow it got bent in a crash. I hope it’s not the main board. Any updates on this thread would be great

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31