P3P “bouncing” at 10 second intervals?!?!?...very strange...

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Phantom 3 Pro
Ipad
Litchi (newest firmware)
Clear day-flying LOS
IMU was updated prior to flight (in anticipation of possibly correcting the issue)
Waypoints are all set to an identical altitude 127'
This "bouncing" does NOT happen at a waypoint...

Issue
Part way through a Litchi flight (at the 2 minute 6 second mark), the P3P ascends and descends 3-5 feet (quickly) and repeats this numerous times during the mission.
Once this “bouncing” starts, it repeats (the increase and decrease in altitude) every 10 seconds (almost exactly).

Also at 2 minutes and 6 seconds, per airdata, the “sonar” kicks in, and gives errant altitude data…2- 3 feet and less, and this also captured in the airdata file.

During these intervals, the “real” altitude increases and decreases too.

As a band-aid, I just turned off the VPS, in hopes of stopping this problem, but wont be able to test it until the weekend,but that’s not really the answer for me..just a band-aid….
Can someone look into the Dat files…see if there’s something more definitive and solvable?

Here is a link to the airdata, DAT and short snippet of the video file….if you need anything else…let me know.
You can see the "bounce" on the video at the 6 seconds, 16 seconds, and 26 second mark

Dropbox - DROPBOX SHARED FILES - Simplify your life

Also…its hard for me to know for sure which dat file is the correct one…there are creation dates, and modified dates….neither which match exactly the time stamp of the airdata file, so I have included both files I have for the day.

This is NOT the first time it has happened, and I believe it may be happening every flight…seems to happen only when moving…not hovering…but I haven’t confirmed that yet.
a very weird issue!
Thanks gentleman
Ralph Matile

Last edited:
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Phantom 3 Pro
Ipad
Litchi (newest firmware)
Clear day-flying LOS
IMU was updated prior to flight (in anticipation of possibly correcting the issue)
Waypoints are all set to an identical altitude 127'
This "bouncing" does NOT happen at a waypoint...

Issue
Part way through a Litchi flight (at the 2 minute 6 second mark), the P3P ascends and descends 3-5 feet (quickly) and repeats this numerous times during the mission.
Once this “bouncing” starts, it repeats (the increase and decrease in altitude) every 10 seconds (almost exactly).

Also at 2 minutes and 6 seconds, per airdata, the “sonar” kicks in, and gives errant altitude data…2- 3 feet and less, and this also captured in the airdata file.
So if you look at the airdata

During these intervals, the “real” altitude increases and decreases too.

As a band-aid, I just turned off the VPS, in hopes of stopping this problem, but wont be able to test it until the weekend,but that’s not really the answer for me..just a band-aid….
Can someone look into the Dat files…see if there’s something more definitive and solvable?

Here is a link to the airdata, DAT and short snippet of the video file….if you need anything else…let me know.
You can see the "bounce" on the video at the 6 seconds, 16 seconds, and 26 second mark

Dropbox - DROPBOX SHARED FILES - Simplify your life

Also…its hard for me to know for sure which dat file is the correct one…there are creation dates, and modified dates….neither which match exactly the time stamp of the airdata file, so I have included both files I have for the day.

This is NOT the first time it has happened, and I believe it may be happening every flight…seems to happen only when moving…not hovering…but I haven’t confirmed that yet.
a very weird issue!
Thanks gentleman
Ralph Matile
I know nothing about Litchi so I have no idea if your issue is related to that but it does sound as if the VPS could be causing it. My VPS is always turned off. It's useless and causes more issues than it solves imo. If turning it off solves your problem then I'd suggest just leaving it off.

This is most unusual data. It appears this is a VPS issue, however, you were in and out of mission mode as well for whatever reason that was. Looking at the VPS, these signals are very abnormal. I think you have an issue with the aircraft of some sort. Turning the VPS off may eliminate the issue, but just IMO your VPS is not working at all correctly.

Capture.PNG

but I have a feeling it is a symptom that could be related to other issues....
That is why I mentioned a possible aircraft issue of some sort. This is not related to the app's at all though it appears. I haven't looked at the second file you posted as of yet. If it exhibits a similar profile, then it is either due to the VPS completely malfunctioning ( Which it certainly looks like )....or a combination of another issue with the AC.

Second flight file.....Same response......Definitely a VPS issue and not one that I have seen. It appears completely disfunctional....OR at a wild guess something under the aicraft is blocking the signal....but honestly it doesnt look like that is the case, although possible.

Capture2.PNG

Thanks Mr Dawg.....
I fly manual, as well as Litchi, yet this only seems to manifest itself with Litchi...but I absolutely do NOT think its a Litchi issue.... I probably just don't notice it in manual...

...as a side note....if I were to replace the "board"....where does the DJI drone ID reside?....I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to do that...but its getting kinda sketchy flying this thing with unexplained errors...

I may try to repair it for a "fun" project....nothing ventured nothing gained.....would be a shame to bench this bird.....really like the P3P.....

I did just get the M2P....so at least I have something to fly! I'm a bit over my head with swapping the board, but, I did work on the P1 and added components and modified/added to the board...as long as I have a YouTube video to reference.... ;)

but I absolutely do NOT think its a Litchi issue
Nor do I. Does this exhibit the same issue with GO ( FPV ONLY ) and Litchi ( FPV ONLY ), or is this only during waypoint missions?

Reactions: 3rdof5
Ok, I turned off VPS, and tested it on the same Litchi mission....no problems.
I’ll watch it for awhile, and continue to review the airdata info....

Reactions: 3rdof5

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4