P3A - so how do you shut down in an emergency?

Reaction score
If you catch a twig or something while flying, it's handy to be able to stop the motors quickly (isn't it).
In the manual it says that to shut down the motors quickly you should use the same CSC as when starting them, ie pull both sticks back and either inwards or outwards.
When I do that the motors actually speed up for about five seconds but do eventually stop.
Just pulling the left stick back also stops the motors, and quicker!
My little video.

Last edited:
Can use left stick to inner bottom corner and RTH button for mid air shut down.
I dont know how fast it shut in,I never tryed it

This was the one I refer to
Screenshot_20210622-110840_Chrome.jpg

Would you believe the drone will drop out of the sky Pygar70? ?

The only time one would need to stop the motors in flight, as far as I'm concerned, would be if it clipped a tree or something and came down anyway, it's good to stop the motors as soon as possible to prevent further damage or, as has happened, the drone flips on landing.

Reactions: David01
Would you believe the drone will drop out of the sky Pygar70? ?

The only time one would need to stop the motors in flight, as far as I'm concerned, would be if it clipped a tree or something and came down anyway, it's good to stop the motors as soon as possible to prevent further damage or, as has happened, the drone flips on landing.
I'm sure Pygars repy was in humor,,another good reason is somehow gets out of control around people or close to people it can be shut down,or a tree or house or barn,I think the hard part here is remembering to use it in these circumstances, bit of panic can make us forget these things,some here in the past have hit road signs that say stop,I bet they wished they remember that csc,,pitty it's something that we cant practice without risk of damage, I hit a steel pole on our deck once,I had no idea csc was even possible back then,would have saved a set of p4 props ,I do think your idea of finding quick shut is a good one,maybe a sticker with csc on it on your remote so always a reminder it's there,then it become second nature in a bad situation for all pilots

Reactions: Earls Court
I have just been through all the combinations of sticks back, RTH button etc and still the quickest way to stop the motors on my P3A is by just pulling the L/H stick back. Every other way involving pulling either stick back into one or other corner results in the motors initially speeding up and then stopping, whether you press the RTH button or not.

Conclusion again is that there is NO WAY TO INSTANTLY STOP THE MOTORS!

I don't see the props spinning as a problem. I hit a palm tree once. As it started to drop it recovered and maintained a stable position. I then landed and checked things out. All was well. Hitting something doesn't make it take off and go crazy. It always tries to maintain position.

The props thrashing around on the ground, in foliage, in long grass, wherever is a problem Breaking a prop is NOT a big deal, but you can easily crack the motor mounts and that IS a problem!

Reactions: brigerdrones
I have just been through all the combinations of sticks back, RTH button etc and still the quickest way to stop the motors on my P3A is by just pulling the L/H stick back. Every other way involving pulling either stick back into one or other corner results in the motors initially speeding up and then stopping, whether you press the RTH button or not.

Conclusion again is that there is NO WAY TO INSTANTLY STOP THE MOTORS!
Good testing,that's handy to know
When I hit this pole the p4 was spinning upside down on concrete,,I think cause it knew it was not on the landing gear it didnt want to shut down,blooming thing,I never crash but had couple silly mishaps,,almost needs a rc kill switch,,one time I was drone fishing I was in hover about to clip swivel on the bottom when it came back at me so I had to swipe it out the way,cut me finger but p4 hit the sand and props stopped immediate but it never turned off,,strange,,I blew it off and I was fishing again,,duno what happened,,mayby it didnt want to fish lol,,it behaved for rest of the day...

You must be aware that those CSC measures work only when in air!
Practicing this is impossible as you need some extra drones to replace the crashed one.
Flying over the people unintentionally and having control problems the CSC measure could be dangerous! You can't be sure if when motors stops the drone will not going to hit somebody.
The safest way is to do that over the water if there is any. The drone is lost, but it's lost over the ground aswell. With CSC we only try to prevent further damage. One of the situations for doing CSC is generally the situation where there is great possibility to hit other manned flying veichle (heli or airpl.)

I am NOT going to turn the motors off with my drone in the air, that's for sure but it's very useful to be able to do so if the drone is in trouble.

I cannot see what CSC will do if you're going to hit another flying thing. Best thing would be to put full climb/dive, get lout the way under power!!

Um I wonder if a restart before terminal velocity is possible, yeh I'd prefer to dodge aswell ,I had 1 freefall and it's not pretty ending :eek:

Can use left stick to inner bottom corner and RTH button for mid air shut down.
I dont know how fast it shut in,I never tryed it
FYI that the method you mentioned, stick plus RTH button, was put in place in early 2016 for the P4 models but was not added to the P3 models.

Later in 2016, the P3 models saw a change to CSC. The change increased the time it takes for CSC to stop motors from near instantly to about 3 seconds. The RTH button method was not included for the P3.

Ever since 2015 we have been advising P3 owners to not use the CSC to shut down the motors once landed because it often causes flip overs due in part to initially surging motors. Since 2015, we have recommended using only the left stick down method to stop the motors once landed. CSC is still however the means to stop motors while in flight even if it takes a few seconds longer than it did when the P3 was first released.

One side note is that several people over the years have reported that the CSC method failed to stop the motors, even if holding the CSC long enough, if their AC was inverted following a mishap. They either had to use left stick down to stop the motors, or physically remove the battery if they didn’t think to use left stick down.

Last edited:
This was the one I refer toView attachment 122335
FYI that the method you mentioned, stick plus RTH button, was put in place in early 2016 for the P4 models but was not added to the P3 models.

Later in 2016, the P3 models saw a change to CSC. The change increased the time it takes for CSC to stop motors from near instantly to about 3 seconds. The RTH button method was not included for the P3.

Ever since 2015 we have been advising P3 owners to not use the CSC to shut down the motors once landed because it often causes flip overs due in part to initially surging motors. Since 2015, we have recommend using only the left stick down method to stop the motors once landed. CSC is still however the means to stop motors while in flight even if it takes a few seconds longer than it did when the P3 was first released.

One side note is that several people over the years have reported that the CSC method failed to stop the motors, even if holding the CSC long enough, if their AC was inverted following a mishap. They either had to use left stick down to stop the motors, or physically remove the battery if they didn’t think to use left stick down.
Ah ok was not aware,,I just read ""for the phantom series """ well that's more misinformation on djis part..
Sorry bout that,,I not have posted it,they should be more specific

Old we got that sorted and Oso's comment confirms what I found about speed of motors actually increasing initially when using the CSC method.
Good old left stick back - for the time being.
I'm waiting for the circus to come to town then I'll try the various CSC methods over the trapeze catchment net ??

I own several models of the Phantom. When landing in certain situations I will hover the drone within arms reach, grab it with my hands, and turn off the battery. This worked well with the P2V+ when I was launching and returning to a boat on the water. There was really no room to safely land. But with the P3A this method did not work. The P3A would not shut down. I would not call this an emergency, but it was starting to feel like one. I had to ask a nervous passenger to hold the Phantom while I shut it down using the controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic