Rotor tangled in grass

Reaction score
Newbie here. Took my new phantom 3 for its 3rd flight today but didn’t pull up enough of the long grass and a rotor got a tangled on startup (rotor slowed but not stopped)

The rotors were spinning for 5 or 6 seconds while I panicked before remembering how to shut them off.

Removed the grass and took off without issues. The Phantom flew fine but at the end on the ground I could see it was slower than the others and when I cut the rotors it came to a stop quicker than the others.

I did a quick couple of take offs/landings to check and the issue is still there but it is only noticeable when the drone is on the ground with the motors idling.

Two questions, is this serious and how do I fix it? Any suggests much appreciated.

Spin the props by hand and see if they all have the same amount of drag. You may have overheated the motors. Look down in the motors with a light to see if any of the windings look burnt. If so you are looking at replacing one or more motors.

Thanks. I think there is a very slight increase in drag on the affected rotor compared to the other 3. There is no sign of burning on the windings. Maybe a bit of grass is stuck in the motor, if so I have no idea how i’d go about removing it.

Last edited:
Thanks nightwolf, taking off and landing in grass is definitely off my list now. Will give canned air a go. Is this something that should ground the drone until sorted?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl