P4P Crashed upside down, motors did not shut down?

Reaction score
Had my Phantom around 30 ft and clipped an outlying branch, causing one of the props to break, it tumbled down after I bank the drone away from the tree and landed up side down with the props still spinning/stuck. I tried to do the blade stop command and no luck.

Saw the motors with sparks/heat in the them and had to grab the fully spooled drone to (hopefully avoid) permanent damage. After grabbing it the motors were still spinning full force with no signs of stoping. After my friend grabbed the controller, it took an additional 10 seconds of the command for them to stop.

Was the drone unresponsive? I figured in a crash situation an auto-shut down under load would occur.

Luckily the drone seems to be fine, but have not taken it for a flight yet.

What kind of command did your friend use to stop the motors?

Had my Phantom around 30 ft and clipped an outlying branch, causing one of the props to break, it tumbled down after I bank the drone away from the tree and landed up side down with the props still spinning/stuck. I tried to do the blade stop command and no luck.

Saw the motors with sparks/heat in the them and had to grab the fully spooled drone to (hopefully avoid) permanent damage. After grabbing it the motors were still spinning full force with no signs of stoping. After my friend grabbed the controller, it took an additional 10 seconds of the command for them to stop.

Was the drone unresponsive? I figured in a crash situation an auto-shut down under load would occur.

Luckily the drone seems to be fine, but have not taken it for a flight yet.
Far out lucky u still got some fingers:eek: yeh left stick down,,,no auto shut off,,,,u can stop mid flight to reduce damage but those situations no one can predic,,,,,best of luck

P4P offers two options for CSC. Never stop motors in flight, or the new CSC. Pick your poison! :cool:

Last edited:
Left stick down I believe would only work on a normal landing and not flipped.
I too can't seem to stop the props with the emergency sequence (CSC on a P3). I agree if it detects a crash and on the ground,, shut her down.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

P4P offers two options for CSC. Never stop motors in flight, or standard CSC. Pick your poison! :cool:
This would have been good to know (always learning) in this case the standard CSC would have been crucial.
What kind of command did your friend use to stop the motors?
Left stick all the way down. Same as what I tried when it was on the ground.

Coming from a P3P I did not know the Phantom 4 Pro CSC command is left stick down to the center and RTH button. Definitely feel foolish for not knowing this, and some how overlooking it in the settings.

Anyone have thoughts on overloaded motors? I did not receive any error messages, and the motors seem to be physically fine, bearings spin smooth and evenly.

For the P4 the emergency stop is left stick "lower right corner" with the RTH button pushed.

Instant motor stop, especially if hanging in a tree chopping leaves due to a moment of inattention during ATTI flight at night.

AD (No damage to bird. Slight bruising of ego)

HI AWD. When you say left stick "lower right corner", what would the command be with Mode 1?

For the P4 the emergency stop is left stick "lower right corner" with the RTH button pushed.

Instant motor stop, especially if hanging in a tree chopping leaves due to a moment of inattention during ATTI flight at night.

AD (No damage to bird. Slight bruising of ego)
It's a pretty good tree trimmer, for its size! :p

Thanks, AWD - I thought perhaps that with the left stick controlling the "throttle", it would be a logical thing to bring it back to the lower right corner with the RTH. Now I fly mode 1, and the "throttle" is on the right stick. Was just wondering if that function moved across to the right stick and RTH? You say no, that it is still a left stick function?

HI AWD. When you say left stick "lower right corner", what would the command be with Mode 1?

I would think that that the "Left Stick down/right" coupled with the RTH button is a universal "Stop Motors" command on the P4 series.

I believe it replaced the previous CSC commands.

AD

I would think that that the "Left Stick down/right" coupled with the RTH button is a universal "Stop Motors" command on the P4 series.

I believe it replaced the previous CSC commands.

AD
Yes, the original CSC method is no longer an option on the P4P, and the new CSC should be mode independent, but I haven't tried it! I have it turned off completely. Never shut off the motors in the air, no matter how creatively fumbly I get with the remote! I fly like a crazy monkey! :p

...Definitely feel foolish for not knowing this, and some how overlooking it in the settings...
It's always the one thing you don't know or the one thing you forgot that you'll desperately need in a crisis! :)

Also remember the CSC command will take 3 full seconds to initiate.

I'll have to go "one misippi, two misippi, three misippi, four misippi". 4th misippi for good measure.
And misspelling Mississippi was intentional. That's how it usually comes out in that context.

It's always the one thing you don't know or the one thing you forgot that you'll desperately need in a crisis! :)

Also remember the CSC command will take 3 full seconds to initiate.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose? It's supposed to be instantaneous. At least it used to be...:confused:

With true CSC, where you pull both sticks down and towards each other or away from each other, no. You don't want instantaneous as you might accidentally shut down the motors mid-flight. Would be very very unusual to make such a move accidentally but it is possible.

With true CSC, where you pull both sticks down and towards each other or away from each other, no. You don't want instantaneous as you might accidentally shut down the motors mid-flight. Would be very very unusual to make such a move accidentally but it is possible.
As I recall, the original DJI CSC maneuver was instantaneous, with the argument that you had to be flying "like a crazy monkey" to trigger it accidentally. It's a kill switch. You don't want any delays when it is executed. The reason for changing it to left stick to 4:30 and RTH was because that would never happen accidentally in flight, with both hands on the sticks, so the original CSC was being acidentally triggered, whether instantaneously or with a 3 second delay.:eek: P4P allows choosing a no CSC at all option, "Never turn off motors in flight.":cool:

Last edited:
I believe the P4 alternative with RTH button isn't technically CSC.
Although most would agree the traditional CSC being executed accidentally would be extremely rare, it could be possible to go there accidentally briefly, or even on a brief panic. When it was instantaneous, loss of power would be argued as pilot error.
The 3 second delay ensures you really can't execute accidentally.

I believe the P4 alternative with RTH button isn't technically CSC.
Although most would agree the traditional CSC being executed accidentally would be extremely rare, it could be possible to go there accidentally briefly, or even on a brief panic. When it was instantaneous, loss of power would be argued as pilot error.
The 3 second delay ensures you really can't execute accidentally.
It's the new and improved version of the Kill Switch, but DJI still calls it CSC in Chinglish or Englese. :p I can confirm that on the P3P, there was no delay on the real CSC. It was instantaneous and intentionally so. Any delay would not have helped, as the trigger of flying backwards from a boat while descending and orbiting while slowing down would last more than 3 seconds anyway! :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl