Reaction score
First, the motor made a strange metallic clicking noise when I turned it with my hand. After that, I made 2 short <5 min flights, and in the second one I accidentally crashed into a branch of a tree and the drone fell on the props onto the ground. There was no damage except one broken prop. After these flights, I tried to shake the noisy motor and the sound disappeared. But then I noticed that that motor works much louder than the others like described here: DJI Phantom 3 (Standard) Motor Noise?. I must say that I am not sure that this loudness didn't take place before. Do I have to replace the motor? Is there any danger flying with it? Can I just disassemble the motor and clean inside of it?

I don't blame you for being concerned but I have yet to read about somebody who experienced an odd sound from a motor and then the motor subsequently failed. It seems that if you ignore it and fly, all is likely going to be just fine. I've had funny whining sounds from my motors and I just let them go. I've never had a motor fail in flight. I would make sure the motor is clean inside and out. And if you don't see anything obvious, I'd keep flying. MHO

OTOH if you can't sleep at night, you should replace the motor.

I don't blame you for being concerned but I have yet to read about somebody who experienced an odd sound from a motor and then the motor subsequently failed. It seems that if you ignore it and fly, all is likely going to be just fine. I've had funny whining sounds from my motors and I just let them go. I've never had a motor fail in flight. I would make sure the motor is clean inside and out. And if you don't see anything obvious, I'd keep flying. MHO

OTOH if you can't sleep at night, you should replace the motor.
Me too. One of the motors making a high pitched squeal. It's a bit noisy if you spin the prop, compared to the other 3 which are very smopoth. There is about 2mm up & down play in the motor housing. I checked the screws - all tight. Wondering if it's a bearing? I don't fancy trying to change the motor myself. Any thoughts?

There are three common items that go on a brushless motor :

Most common :
Grit or debris in the motor getting between magnets and touching the stator coils. Good blow out with contact cleaner or air is usually good enough .. if cleaner - then be prepared to lubricate the bearings !

Second most common :
One or more magnets comes unstuck from the outer bell. This can manifest itself as motor locking up or hard clicking and poor running. Solution can be to reglue the magnets back in place .. but to be honest if it happens ... better to replace the motor.
Why does it happen ? Usually because motor has got hot. Good to find out why ... could be bad bearings, something caught in it preventing free running ??

Third :
Tired or 'grubby' bearings ... some people mistakenly believe they are sealed - WRONG ... they are only shielded. This means that dust and crap CAN get in and this leads to that graunchy gritty feeling / sound when turning the motor. Again this can be sorted by contact cleaner or good blast of air ... with a tiny touch of sewing machine oil dropped onto the shaft to work itself in.
Replacing motor bearings is not hard in fact ... and they can be bought as generic versions using the serial number that all bearings carry. They are a press in item.

To those who are considering arguing about the Oil part ... forget it ... these are shielded motors and that oil is not a problem.

Nigel

Me too. One of the motors making a high pitched squeal. It's a bit noisy if you spin the prop, compared to the other 3 which are very smopoth. There is about 2mm up & down play in the motor housing. I checked the screws - all tight. Wondering if it's a bearing? I don't fancy trying to change the motor myself. Any thoughts?

If you have 2mm up / down ... sort it out before you have to sort out the whole AC !! from a crash.

For that amount of movement ... with many BL motors - that would mean Bell is loose on the shaft or the C clip has failed at back end of shaft.

I strongly advise - sort it before disaster. There should be NO play in that motor ...

Nigel

There are three common items that go on a brushless motor :

Most common :
Grit or debris in the motor getting between magnets and touching the stator coils. Good blow out with contact cleaner or air is usually good enough .. if cleaner - then be prepared to lubricate the bearings !

Second most common :
One or more magnets comes unstuck from the outer bell. This can manifest itself as motor locking up or hard clicking and poor running. Solution can be to reglue the magnets back in place .. but to be honest if it happens ... better to replace the motor.
Why does it happen ? Usually because motor has got hot. Good to find out why ... could be bad bearings, something caught in it preventing free running ??

Third :
Tired or 'grubby' bearings ... some people mistakenly believe they are sealed - WRONG ... they are only shielded. This means that dust and crap CAN get in and this leads to that graunchy gritty feeling / sound when turning the motor. Again this can be sorted by contact cleaner or good blast of air ... with a tiny touch of sewing machine oil dropped onto the shaft to work itself in.
Replacing motor bearings is not hard in fact ... and they can be bought as generic versions using the serial number that all bearings carry. They are a press in item.

To those who are considering arguing about the Oil part ... forget it ... these are shielded motors and that oil is not a problem.

Nigel
Thanks, Nigel. I'm out tomorrow so will look into that on Tuesday. It may be my imagination, but I think the prop is corkscrewing very slightly , though it doesn't affect handling. I've tried replacing the prop.
As for replacing bearings / motor: I'm a retired English teacher !!!! Is there anything on YouTube that might help if it comes to that? Something like "Brain surgery for Dummies" would help....I don't even know how to take off the top of the fuselage.....

Maybe search Youtube ... I'm travelling so its not so easy for me.

Corkscrewing ? If motor bell is loose .. that may do it ... but ??

Retired English Teacher ... that puts you up above many drone fliers in intelligence - judging by some of the crap they get up to !!

Nigel

Retired English Teacher ... that puts you up above many drone fliers in intelligence - judging by some of the crap they get up to !!

Nigel

Nigel
How kind! I know the theory but I'm clumsy. By the way, hope you're not travelling by drone.... Yes, the prop in question doesn't seem to run quite true. Bent shaft? Unlikely as I haven't crashed it [bought used off gumtree 6 weeks ago]. I assume the motor bell is the bright metal cylinder that houses the motor [ told you I was thick] No lateral movement in it, but about 2mm play up & down. I checked the screws: all tight. I'll get some contact cleaner tomorrow. - & hey, thanks for continuing advice & putting up with my ignorance.

You really need to find out why the motor bell is moving 2mm up and down ... there should be no detectable movement up and down.

Nigel

AND any Contact Cleaner is Plastic safe.

If you have 2mm up / down ... sort it out before you have to sort out the whole AC !! from a crash.

For that amount of movement ... with many BL motors - that would mean Bell is loose on the shaft or the C clip has failed at back end of shaft.

I strongly advise - sort it before disaster. There should be NO play in that motor ...

Nigel
Thanks. I think I'd better send it to a repair shop. Thanks for your advice

Thanks. I think I'd better send it to a repair shop. Thanks for your advice

Ask around ... there must be someone to help you without the agonising cost of repair shop ?

Nigel

Ask around ... there must be someone to help you without the agonising cost of repair shop ?

Nigel
Yeah I live in rural Wales. To my knowledge, nobody within 50 miles owns a drone! I doubt my ability to change the motor myself, so it's gone off to be repaired. £60 GB including carriage & 24 hour turn araound. Probably cheaper than the mess I might make trying to take the thing apart myself. Thanks for your advice
Chris

To be honest ... they are not simple machines and I agree with your decision. OK - for a motor issue like this - I have possibly enough knowledge to sort ... but anything else ? Its of to the boys in DJI !!

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.