P3 vs. Yuneec

Reaction score
In the group's opinion, what does the introduction of the Phantom 3 do to the Yuneec bird? Is Yuneec's quad DOA when compared to the P3?

It would appear (at least to me) that on a price vs. features basis, there's no way Yuneec can justify the price they're asking. But that's just me.

Thoughts?

Yuneec just released the newer Q500+ with a "better" camera. Only time will tell, I was dead set on the Q500+ mostly because it seems ( at this time) to be a rock solid performer ( flight wise ). No reports of fly away or really strange behavior. Yuneec also is getting rave reviews on customer service as well as repairs.

The rock solid flight and good CS is worth the extra $$ in my opinion as I will not be using the camera for anything really needing great quality video/picture's.

I figure I will be buying somewhere around June. Untill then I will watch the reports on the P3 as it does look very nice. DJI always seems to be just a step ahead of the competition in that price range but they also seem to put out some questionable products.

djl

In the group's opinion, what does the introduction of the Phantom 3 do to the Yuneec bird? Is Yuneec's quad DOA when compared to the P3?
The P3 is a shot across the bows for every maker of multicopters under $3000 (and some that are more). It's hard to see anything currently available or coming soon that can compete on features or price. DJI have leapt far ahead of the pack and their pricing is a huge slap in the face for their would-be competitors.

I have a Q500 and it's great. I'm definitely watching the P3P. Love the Light Bridge inclusion. Not really in love with the Q500's FPV on the TX. Other than that it flies great and I never think about a flyaway. ThE flyaway issue and firmware regression is what worries me the most about DJI. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The P3 is a shot across the bows for every maker of multicopters under $3000 (and some that are more). It's hard to see anything currently available or coming soon that can compete on features or price. DJI have leapt far ahead of the pack and their pricing is a huge slap in the face for their would-be competitors.

I'm at the NAB show this week. The South Hall is crowded with drone wana-bes. They're all pretty much going after the professional photographer and cinematographer, but it's interesting non the less.
In 2013 there was only DJI and now there are at least 20 folks out there, many of whom didn't exist two years ago.

The Yuneec has issues, a weak fc that lacks processing, in strong wind it has been known to just drop out of the sky, due to overloading the main board and Yuneec owners have been known to blame blades coming off and denying it has this issue. It also effects the Blade 350qx as they both use tge same underpowered processing fc. Has been known to yaw erratically at times and not always accurate RTH features.

The Yunnec now has become very old very fast. The P3 and Solo are miles ahead in technology.

The P3 is the best, most advanced multicopter in its price range and blows the Yuneec out if the water. The P3 offers far more then Yuneec and far more advanced. Now for tge money they Yunee is no longer value for money and really need to drop the price, as the p3 offers so much more.

Sure the have the Yunee q500+, but is the same as the older model. It only offers a better camera and bigger screen, but offers far less them the P3, which costs less and offers more in every way over tge Yuneec.

Was going to get the Yuneec q500+, but you would have to be a fool to pick the yuneec now over the P3, which is now the best multicopter you can get for the price range.

Yuneec are going to have to do something quick else they have lost the race in this price range. Even the advanced P3 is cheaper than Yuneec and offers so much more.

For a first time flyer the Q500 is the easiest to fly, due to it's smart mode. The follow you feature is great. The screen in the radio is a advantage for some. You don't need to tie up your phone.
The P3 can handle stronger winds (30mph) and has a farther range. For some the use of a tablet on the radio gives them a bigger screen.
Next the Hubsan X4 Pro comes out about the time the Q500 with the 4K camera is available. When it comes in we open one and fly it out back of the store to get a feel for it.

But specs aside, there's another really important difference between the two... customer support.

I'm living that nightmare right now. If anything goes wrong with your Phantom, you can plan on spending hours on the phone over the course of weeks and months in order to get back in the air. The common reaction to a fly-away or spontaneous low-voltage flaw is "go buy another one for 30% off"

Reports regarding Yuneec show a DRAMATIC difference, with quick replies and generous support.

But specs aside, there's another really important difference between the two... customer support.

I'm living that nightmare right now. If anything goes wrong with your Phantom, you can plan on spending hours on the phone over the course of weeks and months in order to get back in the air. The common reaction to a fly-away or spontaneous low-voltage flaw is "go buy another one for 30% off"

Reports regarding Yuneec show a DRAMATIC difference, with quick replies and generous support.

BlueVista keep in mind that it's a lot easier to give GREAT Customer Service for a small number of units in the field. I know for a fact that DJI has had some delays (some significant) and CS issues in the past but as of lately I have heard that the majority of this have been at least minimized. It takes a small army to support that many units out in the field.

Any problem I've had (or question) I went back to my DJI Authorized Dealer and they have handled everything in-house and with NASCAR pitcrew speed.

This may not be "standard" for DJI dealers but Emergent RC has been nothing less than phenomenal since I started talking with them.

I have both a P3P and a Yuneec 4K, the P3P (when working properly) is by far the better piece of equipment. I will admit, the clarity of the CGO3 camera is a little better on the Yuneec. Other than that, it is no where near a P3P. It is less stable in flight, has way less range (800m max, and I've only got to about 400m and it loses video) it is half the speed (at best) and the "android" ground station has no where near the features that DJI Go app has. The one nice thing is that you can charge the controller from any Android charger, but the main batteries take 2+ hours to charge...its a nice quad, but its NOT a Phantom :)

Reactions: BigAl07
the chroma is pretty nice too. seen it go 3000 ft at night and the bright lights on it looked like a star. I then did see it trip out and fly away but horizon gave him a new drone and controller.

The Yuneec is an over sized, over priced toy. Its flimsy, poorly designed, and handles wind very much like a cheap kite. Not a bad product if it were in the $500 range. But at its current price, its an absolute joke! And the controller?!?! It feels like something that would come with an Air Hogs product!

I have the first Yuneec Q500. Love it. Probably the most stable video of any of the quads right now. It is a large slow flyer without a lot of distance. The "Follow Me" mode is near flawless and works much better than DJI's or 3DR's. Plus when you buy one you get a free hand held gimbal, enabling you to use the camera off the drone! No reports at all of flyways or wacky problems with this drone. The newer models have improvements over mine in GPS and a few other things, as well as a 4K camera or a gimbal for the GoPro are now available.

Yuneec has been in the business for years. They make two all electric manned aircraft, all the the Blade quads and helis for Horizon Hobby, as well as a majority of the foam fixed wing RC aircraft that Horizon Hobby sells.

My Q500 handles the wind as well as my Phantoms, Solo and Iris+.

My Q500 handles the wind as well as my Phantoms, Solo and Iris+.

BS! We set a Q500 and P3P in the air next to each other in heavy winds, 25kts gusting to possibly 45. The P3 never moved from its location. Heading in to the wind the Q fell back only slightly. In a cross-wind, it the Q was totally lost. Within 30 seconds it was 50 yards away and at full tilt trying to get back to its position.

BS! We set a Q500 and P3P in the air next to each other in heavy winds, 25kts gusting to possibly 45. The P3 never moved from its location. Heading in to the wind the Q fell back only slightly. In a cross-wind, it the Q was totally lost. Within 30 seconds it was 50 yards away and at full tilt trying to get back to its position.
Bummer. I haven't flown in "High Winds". In fact I have never flown when winds have been gusting at 45 mph. Seems senseless to me.

In moderate winds my Q500 has been very stable. Your BS may vary...

Bunch of YouTube videos showing the Q500 in "high" winds:
https://www.google.com/search?q=yun...7.8271j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
IMO, until P3 competitors start including systems comparable to Lightbridge in range and image quality there is no competition unless they cut the price drastically.

Take the Solo for instance. Forget the fact that it doesn't even do half the stuff that the marketing material claims it can do, even this far after release. The radio system on that thing is a joke. It's a cobbled together hack on top of a hack. For what it does it should cost closer to $600, or include the gimbal in the base package.

As far as the Yuneec features, they seem very "last generation".

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
The yuneec has a fresh firmware update that improves flight in wind, increases speed, and improves gps. I will be updating mine shortly. And to that point, the yuneec is way easier and more successful just doing firmware updates. They don't brick the system in the process and they actually fix things without adding critical bugs. In contrast, I only feel safe flying my P3 by having not updated my air 2 past 8.x and keeping that completely usable ipad in airplane mode at all times to avoid go app updates and bird/rc updates because I'm not at all confident in anything but 1.4.10 on the bird and absolutely want to avoid the latest rc update. With dji, when your bird flies stably you want to keep it that way, and you throw up a brick wall to keep it that way. Thank God mine at least flies well with all the new autonomous modes. This makes being a dji owner and flyer extremely tedious. I love my P3 but I love it in its current, working state. A simple firmware update could destroy the fun. Not cool at all.

My q500, just flies. Never a worry. However, to improve stable range I needed to spend more money and mod my rc with fpvlr and boosters. And while you get all the necessary telemetry in a very comprehensive layout on the rc, there's is no comparison to the range of functions and user experience that you get with the go app. There is no poi or waypoints either, which was my primary reason for buying a phantom, even though I had the Q already. However, my opinion is that yuneec stands alone at this point with really well implemented follow me and watch me modes.

The yuneec package is all inclusive, including a hand held steady grip. Truly open, charge, and fly and/or ground film. Way more included value in the box compared to the phantom. But dji includes some major value to the pilot too, in the form of a really powerful flight app and smart batteries, to name a couple. It's tough to compare the two. I think they are both awesome in their own right and it's really great owning both.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I agree with you shockwave. I think for the average person who is just a recreational flyer who wants to record family vacations and outings, and you aren't the most tech savvy, the Q500 is perfect solution, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues