P3 vs. Yuneec

Here is an interesting comparison between a P3 and the Q500:
Head To Head: Yuneec Q500 Typhoon vs. DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

There are plenty of YouTube vidoes showing the Phantom head to head with the Q500.
Wow this was clearly made by yuneec. The information is off and its "features" are so subjective its comical. I'm pretty new to quads in general but have built a f450, Phantom 2 from scratch, and have a Phantom 3. Dji's product is high quality to me and they are packing tech in that would cost you thousands on other platforms. Never dealt with their CS before though

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Meta4
For the price, the P3s or P3a is still a better option. Far better built. More stable, and the average person has no need or ability to manage, 4k video

Not sure who made the list.
So lets stick to facts, I like facts. :)
Fact is that everything checked on the list, actually is true.
The Yuneec actually has all the features that are checked on the list.

You say it is "so subjective it is comical" - can you show me specifically what you felt was comically subjective? I'm curious. I thought it was a bit comical that they said it takes about an hour to learn to fly a Phantom. And then I look at the "fly-aways" which Phantoms are infamous for, but they are mostly pilot error....so maybe if pilots spent an hour learning to fly, we wouldn't have so many "fly-aways?" Anyway, what was it you found?

As the owner of Phantoms 1, 2, and 3, two 3DR quads and the Yuneec, I found the chart to be accurate. Curious to see what you say.
Thanks!

That's not so much a comparison as an ad for Yuneec.
It has nothing about how they fly, no mention of things that matter like speed, range, FPV quality or the GO app..
As I said in a previous post you can find numerous YouTube videos that pit the Q500 head to head agianst the P3. If you're curious about those aspects, I say go to YouTube.

The list I found was in response to the poster who felt the Q500 is "so last generation."

No, it should mention the app - the Q500 doesn't require an app and a phone to fly. It just uses a radio - rather old school and simple. There is a tablet built into the radio - so not "old school" after all.

Seems like most P3 owners use Litchi instead of GO anyway.

Last edited:
I have both a P3P and a Yuneec 4K, the P3P (when working properly) is by far the better piece of equipment. I will admit, the clarity of the CGO3 camera is a little better on the Yuneec. Other than that, it is no where near a P3P. It is less stable in flight, has way less range (800m max, and I've only got to about 400m and it loses video) it is half the speed (at best) and the "android" ground station has no where near the features that DJI Go app has. The one nice thing is that you can charge the controller from any Android charger, but the main batteries take 2+ hours to charge...its a nice quad, but its NOT a Phantom :)
I sold my Yuneec for a P3P. Really liked the Yuneec, but the P3 is much higher quality and way more precise to fly...IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure who made the list.
So lets stick to facts, I like facts. :)
Fact is that everything checked on the list, actually is true.
The Yuneec actually has all the features that are checked on the list.

You say it is "so subjective it is comical" - can you show me specifically what you felt was comically subjective? I'm curious. I thought it was a bit comical that they said it takes about an hour to learn to fly a Phantom. And then I look at the "fly-aways" which Phantoms are infamous for, but they are mostly pilot error....so maybe if pilots spent an hour learning to fly, we wouldn't have so many "fly-aways?" Anyway, what was it you found?

As the owner of Phantoms 1, 2, and 3, two 3DR quads and the Yuneec, I found the chart to be accurate. Curious to see what you say.
Thanks!
The advance is 2.7k not 1080, I don't consider being built by an aircraft company a "feature' nor being test flown at the factory. a subjective learning curve to fly one is not a feature. The Phantom does come with an SD card, "Editors choice" is not a feature to any stretch, where the thing was engineered is also not a feature.

Not here to get in a pissing match because I don't really care about it. It was comical to me so if it wasn't to you then you shouldn't take it personal.

sounds like customer service is by far the biggest difference compared to dji. how often does dji send out a new unit for random fly aways?

So doing some digging for real comparisons I find Review: Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K :
While I can without hesitation say that the Typhoon is easier to fly than any of the Phantoms I’ve used, that doesn’t necessarily make it better. That ease of use is offset by the fact that the Typhoon is far more sluggish in the air. It takes longer to respond to input from the controller and it was not capable of the tight turns or the top speed of the Phantom 3. Its max flight range is also considerably less. And the Phantom 3’s ability to send back live 720p feed at over a mile blows the Typhoon out of the water. If you’re just learning to fly, that “sluggishness” is a plus. It makes for a more forgiving aircraft that you’re less likely to fly into a tree. If you’re already comfortable flying drones, the Typhoon will likely feel like a step backward.
Some specs that matter from Yuneec:
Max. Flight Speed 8m/s (17.5 mph)
Maximum Climb Rate 3 m/s
Max. Descent Speed
2m/s
Control Transmission Range (Optimum Conditions) FCC: Up to 800m (2624.67 ft) CE: Up to 400m (1312.34 ft)
Display 5.5 inch 480p

The Yuneec Q500 is trying to compete with the P2 series (and failing in most respects) and is clearly very much "so last generation."

The chroma definitely climbs faster than the p3p when on agility mode, but havent seen specs for this mode.

The advance is 2.7k not 1080, I don't consider being built by an aircraft company a "feature' nor being test flown at the factory. a subjective learning curve to fly one is not a feature. The Phantom does come with an SD card, "Editors choice" is not a feature to any stretch, where the thing was engineered is also not a feature.

Not here to get in a pissing match because I don't really care about it. It was comical to me so if it wasn't to you then you shouldn't take it personal.

Oh, I didn't take it personal! I don't work for Yuneec nor have I invested in them - so no reason for me to take it personal. As you can see by the different brands of drones I own, I truly have no loyalty to one brand.
Yeah, the update a month ago allowed the Advanced to have 2.7K video instead of just 1080, so the list must have been published before the update.

As someone who had a drone shipped with a faulty ESC which caused it to plummet to earth in about 10 pieces 3 minutes into its maiden flight - I can see the value of a factory test flight.
Thanks for responding though, I really was curious.

sounds like customer service is by far the biggest difference compared to dji.
DJI's customer service was a victim of their phenomenal market success and recent reports suggest that that it is improving.
But how many flyers ever need it anyway?
how often does dji send out a new unit for random fly aways?
Given how rarely P3 randomly fly away, the answer is probably not very often.

So doing some digging for real comparisons I find Review: Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K :
While I can without hesitation say that the Typhoon is easier to fly than any of the Phantoms I’ve used, that doesn’t necessarily make it better. That ease of use is offset by the fact that the Typhoon is far more sluggish in the air. It takes longer to respond to input from the controller and it was not capable of the tight turns or the top speed of the Phantom 3. Its max flight range is also considerably less. And the Phantom 3’s ability to send back live 720p feed at over a mile blows the Typhoon out of the water. If you’re just learning to fly, that “sluggishness” is a plus. It makes for a more forgiving aircraft that you’re less likely to fly into a tree. If you’re already comfortable flying drones, the Typhoon will likely feel like a step backward.
Some specs that matter from Yuneec:
Max. Flight Speed 8m/s (17.5 mph)
Maximum Climb Rate 3 m/s
Max. Descent Speed 2m/s
Control Transmission Range (Optimum Conditions) FCC: Up to 800m (2624.67 ft) CE: Up to 400m (1312.34 ft)
Display 5.5 inch 480p

The Yuneec Q500 is trying to compete with the P2 series (and failing in most respects) and is clearly very much "so last generation."
As I said, for backyard fliers who just want to film family get togethers, the Q500 would be my choice. Flight speed and range are not what determine what is "last generation" but to each his own. I think ANYONE who has used Yuneec's Follow Me and Watch Me modes and then used the P3's modes would say the "phantom is so last generation."

There have been no reports of shell cracking though. :p

Edit: Wait...Phantom doesn't have a Watch Me Mode, so can't compare there....oops.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4