P3 Standard vs P3 SE range in the UK

Reaction score
I've decided I'd like to buy a drone for recreational use and I had decided on the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. Then I noticed that the SE had been introduced with an extended range of approx 4km and 4k video - so I wanted that one.

I'm a beginner but I want the best, most feature-packed drone that I can afford so that I don't end up having to upgrade. I cannot afford a Pro / Advanced and don't want to have to upgrade in the future.

On the official DJI website (Dji.com) the P3 Standard costs £509 and the P3 SE cost £599. However, a quick search online revealed that I can get the Standard for £354 and the SE for £446 from a website called Tomtop (import from a Chinese warehouse).

However, I'm now confused because It's my understanding that the extra range of the SE is countered by UK restrictions, meaning that the range of the SE here will not be much more than the Standard (assuming the same environment and weather etc).

Can somebody please clear this up for me. Is the SE range a big improvement in the UK where we use CE instead of FCC and would a Chinese import via Tomtop.com be different to one from Dji.com?

Thanks

Reactions: Smiffy62
Phantom 3 Standard and SE are the same CE: 500 m per the DJI website.

As to TomTop, I would avoid. They have the worst customer service on the planet. They will take your money and you may, or may not, ever receive your item. And they are in China. Good luck pursuing any kind of legal action.

Thanks for the advice.

I can't see any reference to a 500m range on the DJI website. I've found;

"Phantom 3 SE offers reliable control and image transmission from up to 4 km away..."

The key part being "up to" I suppose. But I can't find definitive details about their capabilities and limits in the UK.

I hear what you're saying about TomTop. I assumed buying using PayPal would offer me some consumer protection. I'm probably being naive.

I could probably live with 2.7k on the Standard if the additional range benefits of the SE won't work where I live.

Last edited:
I think the advantages of the se over the standard for you would be better GPS accuracy because it uses gps/globals, 4k video, a better mobile device holder, and that the se has optical sensors as well. Other than that, they will be the same in UK, because of the ce 500m restriction.

Reactions: LarBear360
Thanks for the advice.

"Phantom 3 SE offers reliable control and image transmission from up to 4 km away..."

The key part being "up to" I suppose. But I can't find definitive details about their capabilities and limits in the UK.

I hear what you're saying about TomTop. I assumed buying using PayPal would offer me some consumer protection. I'm probably being naive.

I could probably live with 2.7k on the Standard if the additional range benefits of the SE won't work where I live.

Standard specs Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

SE specs Phantom 3 SE –Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Despite the range, the SE does have other advantages that may interest you. The 4K video is one, however, you need to a lot of fire power to edit. I have found the standard to be adequate for flying line of sight. I took the money I saved and put it toward extras like storage case, batteries, filters, props, prop guards. The list goes on!

Thanks for the advice.

I did use PayPal and ultimately that is what saved me. 45 days after my order was placed nothing had been shipped. PayPal got me my money back.

It was the fact they stated "usually ships in 2-3 days" that aggravated me. 45 days later I still had nothing.

By the way it wasn't a DJI product I had ordered. Something else unrelated. I don't know if they are authorized or not. DJI customer service could answer that.

This guy flew his stock SE 4,250 meters - that's 14,000 feet, in CE mode:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: LarBear360
There's plenty of vids that show less range, but I think the difference is he is flying in optimum conditions. Flying from a mountain over a valley or over water with zero interference is as good as it gets...

There's plenty of vids that show less range, but I think the difference is he is flying in optimum conditions. Flying from a mountain over a valley or over water with zero interference is as good as it gets...

Good point. I have seen plenty of people fly well beyond the range stated by DJI. I'm a sissy and have yet to go beyond 600 feet!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers