P3 scrutiny from the FAA and the NTSB From Tahoe Ed

Thanks Paul

Nothing in the original post was out of context.

Yes it was, they are not under scrutiny from the FAA or the NTSB. They were just not granted to fly at comic-con. I believe it was do to the airspace. DJI and the FAA are working very closely during these times. We are currently working with them in many areas.

To be fair I think Ed used a wrong choice of words.

Last edited:
Who cares? If you do the right thing you have nothing to worry about. [emoji87]

Who cares? If you do the right thing you have nothing to worry about. [emoji87]

I agree, unless you are doing reckless activities.

Yes it was, they are not under scrutiny from the FAA or the NTSB. They were just not granted to fly at comic-con. I believe it was do to the airspace. DJI and the FAA are working very closely during these times. We are currently working with them in many areas.

That is true the wrong choice of words, and as you know blade strike that forums format can lead to misinterpretations. I don't think he or myself should have to explain any further. And thank you for all you do as always.

Put to rest....I hope as we have newbies to help here...

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulMuns
I spent most of the day on the phone with the FAA Flight Standards for my area and they had no information except follow the FAA DO's and DOn'ts poster. smh

San Diego International Airport is right next to comic con. Makes sense.

Fact is the FAA and any other agency is going to do what it wants, which is usally to limit someone else.
Submit for exemptions, follow the standard rule of thumb and fly on. Point is they will do what they want and so will pilots. Some could care less about restrictions or safety it's on the individual right now.
Just remember before bashing on someones videos for being somewhere YOU think they shouldn't try to get so info. I am a professional wildland firefighter and have been for 17 yrs. I film over structural and wildland fires and over State and Federal lands. There are those of use trying very hard to promote thier use.

To be fair, that probably wasn't anyone here:
Those fixed wing drones can be outfitted with antennas to allow control of them from up to 60 miles away. Good luck locating the guy with the transmitter. He likely doesn't have his phone number on the drone!

Last edited:
Just remember before bashing on someones videos for being somewhere YOU think they shouldn't try to get so info. I am a professional wildland firefighter and have been for 17 yrs. I film over structural and wildland fires and over State and Federal lands. There are those of use trying very hard to promote thier use.
I am not going to say that what you do is wrong because I do not have all the info.
What I know after flying firefighting helicopters during 15 fire seasons and knowing the FAA regulations is that an automatic Temporary Flight Restriction Area is stablished around any firefighting area. Only specifically authorized aircraft are authorized to fly in that area.
Participant aircraft must be coordinated via radio.
Drone/UAV/RPAS are not exempted from this regulation
So if you are specifically authorized to fly your Phantom there and your are in radio contact with the rest of the participant aircraft, then you are good to go.
Here is a very nice link about airspace restrictions for aircraft including UAV. Very informative.http://www.hse-uav.com/faa_temporary_flight_restrictions.htm
The reason the FAA and most other Civil Aviation Authorities from other countries are concerned is that the actual "uncontrolled" drones may become a hazard to other aircraft.
I love flying my Phantom and I will support RPAS operations as long as they are done legally, properly and not endangering people.
So all of us that want to support drone flying, should also explain other what you can do and cannot do with a drone safely.

Reactions: Andy Collins
Yesterday Tahoe Ed from RC-Groups informed the P3 forum that they have been visited by the FAA and the NTSB at DJI Offices were he works.

What were they looking for?
Quote:" 333 exemptions and the license to operate in a controlled air space. We had the former but not the latter. That was an issue for our vendor. We were teathered at 8' and they had objections. I just wanted to let our users know that they are getting serious about drones. Especially about public displays." End Quote

Seeing posts I reached the 5 Miles limit or I hit 400 feet today on this site, one mite want to keep bragging rights on the low.

It seems the P3 is under scrutiny being one of the more advanced public saturated quads currently on the market.

This is similar to the Facebook deletions but is hitting closer to the more advanced forums like DJI Pilots and RC-Groups.

I doubt any of the "rules" violators among us broke did so because he didn't know them. In our community, it's talked about all the time. We have guidelines such as a 400' AGL ceiling. Everyone knows that. Yet every day someone uploads and brags about his 900' record. We can appreciate the "pioneering" attitude, but we're NEVER going to get the right to fly in the NAS over 400' for very sound safety reasons. So, please stop doing this and risking the right to our hobby for all of us.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic