Each day, I shoot the same sequence of stills and video along this stretch of central Arizona's Verde River. These images will be used to test a new technique of monitoring changes in the River's flows and the health of its ecosystem.

Since it's important to get as complete a record as possible, I sometimes press the limits of good sense, as far as the safety of the aircraft is concerned.

On this day, April 25th, 2016, high winds threatened to make the day's record impossible, but I thought I'd try. Winds at the aircraft's altitude, according to mesurements on "Healthy Drones," hovered around 38 mph, sustained. The flight is programmed using Litchi, to fly this route at 30 mph, and you can see that the drone had a tough time maintaining that speed.

But the Phantom 3 did an amazing job of stabilizing the video in incredibly tough circumstances, don't you think?! See the video at:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Are used to inner tube down the river in the 60s and 70s great times

I went to the Oregon coast a not to long ago, was in pretty strong wind. They had a small craft advisory, so it was 15-35mph winds. I was flying FULL throttle the whole time, this is my MPH graph for two flights. You can see on a few times where the speed drops to 5mph or so when flying into a heavy wind .. and with ATTI on, flying with the wind went quickly as well. Other than one hiccup on takeoff, the Phantom 3 performed amazingly well. I'll post a video here before too long.

upload_2016-7-2_12-13-1.png

upload_2016-7-2_12-13-20.png

Flying in 35mph winds at the Coast

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

New gimbal under warranty.. Say it isn't so.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.