High-Power Rocket Launch Video

Reaction score
I took my P2V to the Northeast Florida Association of Rocketry (NEFAR) launch this past weekend. Unfortunately, the forecast for nice weather was wrong and we were greeted by overcast sky and strong winds. Due to the weather and this being a busy time of the year, fewer people than normal showed up. The weather also discouraged many of those in attendance from flying.

But, a few diehard rocketry enthusiasts went ahead and poked some holes in the sky. And, I was determine to record as much of the fun as I could.

I've only flown the P2V a few times so I was nervous about the wind. So, I first took it up to about 25 feet in altitude and let it hover. I was amazed, and quite pleased, to see how well it handled the wind (which had dropped a little by then to about 15 mph with gusts to about 20).

Because of the wind, I was cautious and didn't fly the 'copter too high or too low and I didn't try to move it around very much. The only real problem I had, though, was landing. I tipped it over most times and completely flipped it once. No damage to the P2V fortunately. After a while I took a break from videoing and practiced landings. I discovered that I was in the habit of using the "CSC" gesture to shut down the motors as the Phantom landed. This worked okay on a day with no wind where the 'copter would actually be on the ground before I did the shutdown. But, on a windy day, I was trying to shutdown the motors while the craft was just above the ground. The problem was that the Phantom was responding to the stick movement before the motors shut off and that was contributing to the tip-overs. When I just pulled the throttle down for a few seconds, I had better success.

The rockets are launched in sessions. The flyers set up their rockets on the multiple launch pads then the range is "closed" and all of the rockets are launched one at a time. I found that I could fly back and land while the rockets were set up on the launch pads and either let the Phantom sit to conserve battery power or swap the battery with one I had charging. In this way I was able to have the Phantom in the air for just about every launch.

If the day had been busier though, i think I would have needed a third battery (and second charger) to keep up. But, most of the time I'm going to be flying my own rockets so there' will be time for batteries to charge when I'm busy doing other things.

I took mostly video and just a few stills. I didn't realize that I was doing that at the time. I think I did it just so I could concentrate more of flying and watching the rockets. As it turns out, I only caught one good still picture of a launch.

The video is just "okay." The wind made it very bouncy. I cleaned it up in Premiere as much as I could and just discarded clips that were too shaky. Not very many larger rockets were flown and I was nervous about flying high, so I didn't capture much of each rocket's flight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wzFGknFXM[/youtube]

Here's hoping for better weather in January!

-- Roger

Oh ... another thing ...

I had "Return to Home" trigger a couple of times even though I'm sure that the Phantom was not too far away. In both cases, it returned to home and hovered. Before it landed, i was able to regain control. I'm not sure why it was losing connection. If it happens again, I'll be less freaked out so I'll think to check the orientation of the transmitter and antenna.

-- Roger

Thanks Roger,

I like that bit too, I had hoped to fly the phantom more FPV, but on that occasion my battery was very low 19% as I was hovering for about 5 mins before it launched, I was originally a lot higher but started to come down as the battery was very low.

Cant wait till March and get some more footage.

Also tempted to fly my blade 350qx with a qopro 3 pointing straight down and fly almost right over the pad.

Pete

You know what ... After using the Phantom 2 Vision a few times, I am starting to daydream about a larger 'copter carrying a DSLR. Hmm ... when is the Mega Millions lottery drawing?

jadebox said:
Oh ... another thing ...

I had "Return to Home" trigger a couple of times even though I'm sure that the Phantom was not too far away. In both cases, it returned to home and hovered. Before it landed, i was able to regain control. I'm not sure why it was losing connection. If it happens again, I'll be less freaked out so I'll think to check the orientation of the transmitter and antenna.

-- Roger

You kidding? If I was sharing airspace with rockets (with some being not so well guided) I'd do a quick RTH !!! INCOMINNNNNNNNNG !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

-slinger

gunslinger said:
jadebox said:
Oh ... another thing ...

-- Roger

You kidding? If I was sharing airspace with rockets (with some being not so well guided) I'd do a quick RTH !!! INCOMINNNNNNNNNG !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

-slinger

There were, of course, jokes about that.

Seriously though, while I intend to keep the Phantom a safe distance from the launchpads, the sky is big and there's little chance of a rocket getting near the Phantom. Most of the time, the next rocket is launched while the previous one is still descending under parachute. I have witnessed probably 10000 or more launches since I got back into rocketry about 15 years ago and have never seen a rocket going up come very close to one going down.

A bigger concern is rockets under parachute. They are larger and in the air longer than the rockets that go "whoosh." (My six-year-old grandson was convinced that there were those two different kinds of rockets.) But, a rocket coming down under parachute would move slower and be easy to avoid.

When I am more comfortable flying the Phantom and the wind is less, I would like to try following some of the larger rockets on the way down. Seeing a rocket under its parachute from above would look really cool.

-- Roger

I'm reviving this old thread because it's interesting to see how much my videos have improved since I made my first quadcopter rocketry video with a P2V back in 2013.

Here's the old video as posted in the first message in this thread:

And here is a recent one filmed with a P3P:

It's also funny reading myself writing about "Return To Home" being triggered a couple of times while flying my P2V. I eventually did learn how to properly orient the antennas and hold the controller to prevent the problem. But, with the P3P, I haven't really even thought about it. I fly all the way around the field, and into adjacent fields, and the worst I've seen is a warning about the video transmission being weak.

-- Roger

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1