P3 not able to record video's over 4gb size on one file?

Reaction score
Hi, my 64gb sandisk extreme sd card is formatted to Exfat but when i record 4k videos which are always over 4gb in size the P3 makes another file as soon as 4gb is reached, this means in a single flight you can end up with 3 files for just one continuous video, is there a way for the P3 just to record in one file larger than 4gb?
I see there are similar problems with the Inspire 1. http://forum.dji.com/thread-13720-1-1.html

Hi, my 64gb sandisk extreme sd card is formatted to Exfat but when i record 4k videos which are always over 4gb in size the P3 makes another file as soon as 4gb is reached, this means in a single flight you can end up with 3 files for just one continuous video, is there a way for the P3 just to record in one file larger than 4gb?

I question if the SD card is really formated in ExFAT. I suspect it's just FAT as this is what the P3 uses.

My windows 7 pc says its Exfat and when i format in the P3 it also formats it to Exfat.
Is anyone able to record a video on one file larger than 4gb?

Last edited:
The file segmentation is called "spanning" and it's a common recording practice on many video cameras. I don't mind the smaller files, less chance for encountering a write error that could ruin an entire take.

I have no need for video editing though, i just watch on my 4k tv straight off the P3.

I hope a new firmware update in the future allows the P3 to record a single file over 4gb in size. :(

Sorry to say but i don't see that happening.
Anyone notice a few dropped frames at the split? I've only got one flight on this bird (P3P) and I noticed it...

Ahh...formatted in the P3P camera....perhaps extFAT32 format in PC might do it....hmmm..

I also prefer the spanned video files for handling later. 4GB is big but it's a reasonable chunk - holds over 9 minutes so typically a single flight will be only 1 or 2 files. I haven't tried it with P3 files yet but I'm sure there's simple free software that can combine multiple files into one quickly without re-rendering or editing if you need.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with importing the spanned clips into Premiere (I'm on CS5.5, but it should be similar right up to CC). In any case, I am used to dealing with spanned clips for other formats, but the workflow I use for those doesn't seem to work for Phantom 3 footage.

I record the full flight in 4K. It gives me 2 .MOV clips. Whether I let them be split automatically or manually (stopping recording and pressing the button again for a new recording), the second file is lost.

The second clip will not load in Premiere CC. Only the first of the pair will load, the other will give a "The file has no video or audio stream" and refuse to load. With avidemux I could shorten the second file to the portion that has a videostream but this is usually just the extra seconds to complete the 9 minutes from the first file. The rest of the second 4GB file is lost.

Strange thing is that in some cases stopping the recording mid-flight and starting a new clip a few seconds later worked, and now during my last four flights it doesn't anymore. I'm now formatting my SD card to exFAT and seriously hopes this helps.

It's very frustrating not to be able to record a full flight in 4K with the P3 Pro.

So the result is that I could achieve 6 working files out of 7 with the SD card formatted with exFAT Only the second file has 24 seconds with video stream after which it stops. In all other files the video stream has been complete up till the end. The P3 seems to have no problem now to save the extra files correctly, except when I stop the recording around 9 minutes myself.
[RECORD]
DJI_0055.MOV 9:20 4.103 GB : OK
DJI_0056.MOV 3:36 1.585 GB : ERROR (0:24 OK)
[STOP][RECORD]
DJI_0057.MOV 9:20 4.105 GB :OK
DJI_0058.MOV 1:25 0.636 GB :OK
[STOP][RECORD]
DJI_0059.MOV 9:21 4.110 GB :OK
DJI_0060.MOV 9:21 4.112 GB :OK
DJI_0061.MOV 7:11 3.163 GB :OK
[STOP]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members