Reaction score
Firmware update 1.7. Dark Side of dji updates ect ect

THE GOOD
Improved compass accuracy.
2. Fixed issue of image being corrupted in rare occasion.
Notes:
The firmware can be downgraded to v1.6.0040.

QUESTION I ASK TO MYSELF?
I had never got compass accuracy error nor image being corrupted so why dji loosing time for a firmware upgrade for that, when there are many more thing that could have been upgrade like, video fps, better video coodec, more automated fights mode and much more p3 users will know that???

What I also observed was dji never says to customers what there are exactly in their firmware updates. Example when the introduced the geofense and altitude limit they did not mentioned about it when they put the firmware with lot of limitation online. They just announce an update and if you are “not satisfied” you can downgrade to a version before?

Big question is, when downgrading, is it really fully downgrading the whole thing or its just playing with version number so that you think that you have downgraded and all new limitation and stuff that come with the firmware get stick to the drone????

That's only my point of view, i nave no proof of what am saying for this one. Its just my heart speaking.

THE BAD
Only thing observed really in last firmware update is all p3 non OEM batteries are blocked. For me that update is to block all p3 users who are using cheap non original p3 batteries. So if you are using non genuine battery beware you will not be able to take off.

CONCLUSION
That’s my personal point of view. Am just what I observed.

Thanks to comment your point of view !!!

Because i feel bad to update a firmware without knowing exactly what in it.

Last edited:
DJI please why you are taking your customers for fools? You should lift up limitations there are other drone companies coming with drone more performent keep on like that and soon you will be closing the company.

Maybe they are taking some advice from Apple and/or Microsoft as to updates and how to monopolize a market..........despite how you feel about the updates and/or DJI, one thing is for certain --- they won't be closing the company any time soon - LOL.

You are entitled to your opinion for certain and perhaps some of what you say might have a little bit of truth to it! However, don't let conspiracy theories or thoughts cloud your mind.

Updates for the most part are good and most are for the benefit of us all, regardless of the product.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
You shouldn't let your expectations exceed what you have been promised or agreed to.
Have you seen any written documentation on their f/w disclosure policies that contradict your experiences?

Reactions: ianwood
What I also observed was dji never says to customers what there are exactly in their firmware updates. Example when the introduced the geofense and altitude limit they did not mentioned about it when they put the firmware with lot of limitation online.

I think that dji in their firmware they put lot of things like limitation and other stuff that they world never mention just for you to download and update, when done too late.
Altitude limit? What altitude limit?
Your Phantom 3 can fly as high as when the Phantom 3 was released.
DJI has not introduced any altitude limit.
You say the firmware has a lot of limitations ... what are they?
My Phantoms don't seem to have any and I don't hear many other people complaining about them.

DJI please why you are taking your customers for fools? You should lift up limitations there are other drone companies coming with drone more performent keep on like that and soon you will be closing the company.

I have regrets why I did not buy from another company, that give you all facility to upgrade and fix your drone.
Look around at what else is available and you see that DJI outsells all the other makers by a huge margin for two reasons.
1. No-one else makes a ready to fly drone with such good performance and features
2. DJI drone prices are great
If you think you can get a better product or a similar one for a better price, I'd like to know what it is.

This most recent firmware upgrade seems to have change the video codec. In January my 3 Pro recorded video as an H.264 Mpeg-4.
After the firmware upgrade (without which the aircraft would not depart) the video recordings are in the .MOV format.
To me, this is not an improvement!

Reactions: clivek_77
After the firmware upgrade (without which the aircraft would not depart) the video recordings are in the .MOV format.
You should always check settings after a firmware update as some may revert to defaults.
You can reset to MP4 any time you want to.
Your Phantom would have flown without updating as DJI have never had a compulsory update.
The app just advises that an update is available but whether you update is up to you.

Almost all my settings had to be redone after update.
For example.....Aspect ratio, video format, flicker, NTSC/PAL, RTH, White balance custom sharpness, contrast and saturation, etc.

Reactions: grottoli
I actually did get the compass error, and glad it's fixed and it doesn't drift in forward flight any more. So I'd say it is a good update.

If you want things unlocked build a f450 or f550 with a naza v2 and you can do any alt you want. I think a lot of people miss the point of what dji is doing with the phantom series. They are trying to make a good professional drone that has good rep.

But dji does have a solution for those who wanna take it to other levels it's called f450 and f550!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This most recent firmware upgrade seems to have change the video codec. In January my 3 Pro recorded video as an H.264 Mpeg-4.

DJI supports both. It simply defaults to MOV (Apple). Both use the same compression codec. The difference is simply the file format of the content in this case.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I stopped updating at fw1.6 after the vibrations of fw1.5 and the drift and video signal loss of fw1.4 and I am happy how it is now with the gains lowered :)

It's always been a switch. .MOV has been the default, I think - at least I don't recall changing it. It's possible that .MP4 is the default and the upgrades are famous for moving all of your carefully tuned settings back to the default.

Ediot:

(oops, a half dozen other people have chimed in to say the same thing. At least we agree on something.)

It's only a matter of time before DJI will force its users to update otherwise, they won't be able to fly. Upgrades for the most part are improvements however, not all will be pleased.

Firmware update 1.7. Dark Side of dji updates the secrets, lies, ect ect

For the firmware v1.7.0060, dji Says:

Improved compass accuracy.
2. Fixed issue of image being corrupted in rare occasion.
Notes:
The firmware can be downgraded to v1.6.0040.

I had never got compass accuracy error nor image being corrupted so why dji loosing time for a firmware upgrade for that, when there are many more thing that could have been upgrade like, video fps, better video coodec, more automated fights mode and much more p3 users will know that???

What I also observed was dji never says to customers what there are exactly in their firmware updates. Example when the introduced the geofense and altitude limit they did not mentioned about it when they put the firmware with lot of limitation online. They just announce an update and if you are “not satisfied” you can downgrade to a version before?

Big question is, when downgrading, is it really fully downgrading the whole thing or its just playing with version number so that you think that you have downgraded and all new limitation and stuff that come with the firmware get stick to the drone????

I think that dji in their firmware they put lot of things like limitation and other stuff that they world never mention just for you to download and update, when done too late.

Only thing observed really in last firmware update is all p3 non OEM batteries are blocked. For me that update is to block all p3 users who are using cheap non original p3 batteries. So if you are using non genuine battery do not update. The only thing that you will get form the last firmware is that your drone will not take off lool.

For me putting time to release a firmware that supposed compass accuracy and image being corrupted that I never heard about is a complete joke. Am not gonna update !!!

That’s my personal point of view. Am just what I observed after using p3 sometime I have regrets why I did not buy from another company, that give you all facility to upgrade and fix your drone.

That’s it, thanks to dji for their secrets, bad online chat, lies etc etc etc !!!!

Thanks to comment your point of view !!!

Sturm Und Drang much?

Basically, I agree with you - minus the emotive misery you seem to have developed. DJI (and Apple and Microsoft) would likely do better overall if they stopped this silliness and did a full disclosure of 'updates'. But then they couldn't add features that were remotely contentious. Unfortunately, this requires putting the legal and marketing teams of the various companies in heavy, locked boxes for long periods of time. Ain't gonna happen.

So deal with it the same way we've been dealing with tech upgrades since Windows for Workgroups. Wait. Test. Discuss.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Sir i think you have to change your video compression settings to mp4, because default is mov. I updated my drone too. I could choose to record in mp4

There is no adjustment available in my Phantom 3 Pro software that allows a video compression setting. If you know how to do this please let me know.

Altitude limit? What altitude limit?
Your Phantom 3 can fly as high as when the Phantom 3 was released.
DJI has not introduced any altitude limit.
You say the firmware has a lot of limitations ... what are they?
My Phantoms don't seem to have any and I don't hear many other people complaining about them.

Look around at what else is available and you see that DJI outsells all the other makers by a huge margin for two reasons.
1. No-one else makes a ready to fly drone with such good performance and features
2. DJI drone prices are great
If you think you can get a better product or a similar one for a better price, I'd like to know what it is.
Well said

There is no adjustment available in my Phantom 3 Pro software that allows a video compression setting. If you know how to do this please let me know.

In the app, you hit Menu ---> the video icon ---> video format and that should allow you to choose between MOV or MP4.

Thanks a lot for all your comments. Respect your point of view .. Viva open source !!!

You should always check settings after a firmware update as some may revert to defaults.
You can reset to MP4 any time you want to.
Your Phantom would have flown without updating as DJI have never had a compulsory update.
The app just advises that an update is available but whether you update is up to you.

I believe Tom meant HE won't fly it without the latest firmware. At least thats how I read his post. Of course, I could be wrong ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic