P3 drift and crash

msinger there was a lot I know I shouldn't have done here. I think I was a little cocky assuming GPS would be a crutch for me.
To your point flying in the dark for me right now is off the radar... Just hard with work hours :) I'll take it out this weekend in an open area (fully charged) and take it slow.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. If anyone has a resolve for this GPS to ATTI mess please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If anything it makes me want to learn in ATTI mode as a fail safe in case this happens again but jeesh... Watching $1300 fly right into a fence was hard to swallow... Imagine your tree situation was about the same. Man I was so excited to start flying this thing... Now I'm scared shitless.
Someone please stroke my ego or give me some pointers for successful flight? Always calibrate... Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would suggest buying a quad that is a lot cheaper (under 75 dollars) and only flies without the benefit of GPS. (Examples include Syma X11, Hubsan X4, JJRC H8C) That will train you to fly in a mode similar to Atti. What really gets scary is when you have a quad that lets you fly in manual mode and you aren't prepared for that. Seriously, I highly recommend buying a cheap quad and learn to fly it around your home. It will help you develop the skills you need for Atti flying and if you crash, you will likely not seriously damage anything and get right back in the air. I bought a number of cheap quads before I invested in my Phantoms and I'm so glad I did. I periodically fly my Phantom 2 in atti mode which allows me to fly more aggressively. My P3 stays in GPS mode Because I use it mostly for aerial filming.

Your flight log indicates you lost GPS due to a "YAW_ERROR_LARGE" error. I did some googling and found a lot of people talking about that error, but nobody mentioned what it means.
I suspect YAW_ERROR_LARGE refers to the yaw error term of the flight controller. The flight controller has a model that predicts what the orientation of the P3 will be based on inputs from sensors, compass, control, commanded motor speeds, etc. The error term is the difference between that prediction and the next set of inputs. When the error(s) exceed a threshold the P3 can switch to ATTI mode because part(s) of the flight control aren't reliable. I suspect that other errors, such as compass error will also cause it to switch.

thanks cyberthingy I actually have a Syma. The only reason I wanted a phantom is because I'm a videographer and the shots this thing can deliver will be incredible. Just like everything else.... Practice.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you post the TXT flight log from your mobile device, we can take a look and see if there are any hints as to what might have happened. If you're not sure how to find that TXT file, then see the instructions beneath the gray upload box here.
Don't know if you got my post yesterday, but mine took off after perfect flying for no reason, when I backed off the sticks it kept going and I had no control over it. I am attaching my flight records again, not sure the one its on but it stated battery # 3, all I got with flying was" Max altitude reached yet I had not even reached 326 feet and was set at 400', also got low battery warning when at 46% and heard "Atti Mode" Did all calibrations before flight and batteries before and after are fine!.

Don't know if you got my post yesterday, but mine took off after perfect flying for no reason, when I backed off the sticks it kept going and I had no control over it.
Please start a new thread. It's too confusing to attempt to review unrelated flight oddities in the same thread.

Hey everyone. I just posted in another thread about how I crashed my P4P. What happened is I took off at night time in GPS mode and all of a sudden it started drifting very fast so I tried to la d it and hit an obstacle at 6ft high. So my yaw arm got cracked and Ribbon cable damaged. Now I 'm not sure if it was loss of gps or yaw error large error. My unit is with DJI relair now, still waiting for them to register the accpetance, although it is the 4th day since they received it...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20