P3 calibration

Reaction score
Hey guys

Ok, so I've now got some time in the next couple of days to finally get my bird out of the box!!!

Still undecided as to whether to upgrade to the latest firmware for the quad and the app as I'm a new pilot but I am still tempted not too until any kinks are ironed out

With regards to calibration, would someone be so kind as to post what needs to be calibrated, in what order, if it needs to be done on a regular basis and if it needs to be done if you upgrade firmware please

Many thanks

Chris

1. Cold IMU calibration
2. Gimbal calibration
3. RC stick calibration
4. Compass calibration before you fly.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

Hi Chris,

As far as the firmware, most of us have had no problems with the latest versions. To be honest, I have not noticed any difference at all, I'm on 1.2.6.

As far as calibrations, you need to do an advanced IMU calibration. Many of us found this works best when the bird and battery are cool. It needs to be a nice level space with no vibrations.

Next, do your gimbal. Same level spot. Then do the Tx. sticks and camera tilt.

Lastly, before you fly, calibrate your compass. Do this outside, away from any metal. Start the calibration from the app, and hold the bird horizontal at arm length so you can see the tail lights. Turn 360 degrees around, (some, including me, have to go past 360) until the lights change to green. Then, hold the bird nose down, and repeat the 360 degree turn, again, some need to go a bit past 360.

You should turn the bird off after calibration, then start again to fly.

Do not take off from anything with metal in it, as this will mess with the birds compass which is very sensitive. I use my case or backpack for take off.

Reactions: Pepperami
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

Hi Chris,

As far as the firmware, most of us have had no problems with the latest versions. To be honest, I have not noticed any difference at all, I'm on 1.2.6.

As far as calibrations, you need to do an advanced IMU calibration. Many of us found this works best when the bird and battery are cool. It needs to be a nice level space with no vibrations.

Next, do your gimbal. Same level spot. Then do the Tx. sticks and camera tilt.

Lastly, before you fly, calibrate your compass. Do this outside, away from any metal. Start the calibration from the app, and hold the bird horizontal at arm length so you can see the tail lights. Turn 360 degrees around, (some, including me, have to go past 360) until the lights change to green. Then, hold the bird nose down, and repeat the 360 degree turn, again, some need to go a bit past 360.

You should turn the bird off after calibration, then start again to fly.

Do not take off from anything with metal in it, as this will mess with the birds compass which is very sensitive. I use my case or backpack for take off.
Good description!!

Really really appreciate the info guys, for someone new, with all the threads about fly always and crashes, I want to do it right from the start

With regards to calibration on the bird, I've seen the 360 turn video that dji did but I also saw one guy do a 360 then he rotated the hold bird around on its side so nose down then rotated it 360 but he did this without rotating himself is that ok to do? Just wondered why he did it like that??

Morphious I know that a lot of people aren't upgrading, my hope is, as this was straight from the factory as I had to wait stock, that this will be one of the OK ones, and for the first few flights, it's not going more than about 20 or 30 feet and out from me less than that whilst I get the hang of the orientation and the controls. If I'm hovering and it starts moving about with no input from me, then it's being grounded until the next firmware as I'm not taking any chances, the ratio of no problems far outweighs the problem ones, and although I accept that there are ones with problems, if I do all the calibrations right, make sure I'm nowhere near metal objects and buildings, and I'm flying it close to me, hopefully (he says fingers crossed) there won't be any problems :)

On a side note, is there anyway you can check for things like magnetic fields and things like that?

Last edited:
Really really appreciate the info guys, for someone new, with all the threads about fly always and crashes, I want to do it right from the start

Morphious I know that a lot of people aren't upgrading, my hope is, as this was straight from the factory as I had to wait stock, that this will be one of the OK ones, and for the first few flights, it's not going about 20 or 30 feet and out from me less than that whilst I get the hang of the orientation and the controls. If I'm hovering and it starts moving about with no input from me, then it's being grounded until the next firmware as I'm not taking any chances, the ratio of no problems far outweighs the problem ones, and although I accept that there are ones with problems, if I do all the calibrations right, make sure I'm nowhere near metal objects and buildings, and I'm flying it close to me, hopefully (he says fingers crossed) there won't be any problems :)

On a side note, is there anyway you can check for things like magnetic fields and things like that?
Avoid flying close to, near, or over power lines, power stations, antennas, cell towers, metal structures, and anything that is magnetic or produces magnetism. If you experience a compass error, fly the copter back and to you and land it or if it is on the ground, do not take off with out recalibrating. . With a compass error, always recalibrate the compass.

Now take it out and get it in the air.:):):):)

DJI only mention calibrating the compass before first flight.
They say nothing about IMU, gimbal or controller calibration before flying.
They are more useful for correcting problems.
I have only ever done the compass calibration for four new Phantoms now and had no problems.

DJI only mention calibrating the compass before first flight.
They say nothing about IMU, gimbal or controller calibration before flying.
They are more useful for correcting problems.
I have only ever done the compass calibration for four new Phantoms now and had no problems.
So only calibrate the compass before the first flight and don't worry about calibrating it again, if you get a compass error?

If I bought another Phantom I'd only calibrate the compass for the first flight.
I'd recalibrate if I travelled a long way from home, crashed and repaired, changed the Phantom equipment or had problems flying straight.

Why do a stick calibration as long as the bird hovers OK and doesn't drift and you can CSC ok?
IMHO A brand new phantom setup needs a stick calibration -- before it is flown-- even if DJI doesn't state it.

IMHO A brand new phantom setup needs a stick calibration -- before it is flown-- even if DJI doesn't state it.
Fair enough, I do check the the RC calibration page to see if they are centered but don't bother with a calibration unless I see a need for it. My P2 needed one on occasion, but with 50 flights so far the P3 is rock steady so far, and responds great. I did extend the control knobs to where I like them and added large soft rubber knob covers for a better feel.

Compass calibration every flight for peace of mind is a superstitious ritual.
It's like pushing the elevator button more to make the elevator come quicker.
The gods of quadcopter flying don't make any allowances for performing extra rituals.
Understanding what calibration is for and when it's needed though, improves your safe flying success.
Automatically calibrating every flight introduces to chance for a bad calibration.

Fair enough, I do check the the RC calibration page to see if they are centered but don't bother with a calibration unless I see a need for it. My P2 needed one on occasion, but with 50 flights so far the P3 is rock steady so far, and responds great. I did extend the control knobs to where I like them and added large soft rubber knob covers for a better feel.

For the most part that should be true-- but I don't believe that they don't flight test every Phantom before shipping. I didn't calibrate mine out of the box and it had a fair amount of side drift to it when moving forward or backward. I calibrated the sticks and that solved it.

Probably should be be recommended by DJI as a part of the quick start-- as there are a lot of folks flying these as if they bought it off a vendor kiosk in a mall and all they have to do is charge the battery and put it in the air.:):)

Compass calibration every flight for peace of mind is a superstitious ritual.
It's like pushing the elevator button more to make the elevator come quicker.
The gods of quadcopter flying don't make any allowances for performing extra rituals.
Understanding what calibration is for and when it's needed though, improves your safe flying success.
Automatically calibrating every flight introduces to chance for a bad calibration.
What about calibrating for different locations and when receiving a compass error?

What about calibrating for different locations and when receiving a compass error?
If you are within 100 miles of home you shouldn't need to worry about recalibrating.

The usual cause of a compass error is trying to launch from a car roof, manhole cover or concrete with steel reinforcing.
In those situations, moving the Phantom to a clear launch point is all you need.
Trying to calibrate for the magnetic effect of a bad launch point won't help you fly up in the sky away from that point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.