P2+ Flight Controller & Water Intrusion

Reaction score
I provided some history to my mishap, but my questions are in bold if my intro got too long winded.
I had my P2V+ Flip over on while taking off from a rock near a stream. The rock was somewhat tilted but it was the only spot I could get enough satellites. A mistake I won't make again. Anyway, it flipped before fully in the air and landed upside down in a couple inches of water. I grabbed it out in about 5 seconds. The gimbal and camera did not get wet but enough water got into the hull.

I removed the battery, shook the water out of it, rigged a fan to blow air through the battery opening for several hours, sealed it in a bag of rice overnight and today I took the top shell off and sprayed the boards with 91% isolpropyl alcohol. I let this sit in the sun and will again put it in a bag with rice tonight, The 2 areas I can't see are the inside of the wifi module, which I removed and have in its own rice bag & the flight controller.

Its obvious the vented wifi module could have water in it. I sprayed it with alcohol and will rice bag it again. I have a couple questions:

The flight controller looks like it could be sealed. Does anyone know if it is?
If the flight controller doesn't likely have water in it, I think I will soon be at the point of trying some tests. I'd like to try the initial ground tests without the wifi in place and the camera disconnected.
Should the P2V+ power up its motors with the wifi module out?
If the initial tests look OK, should the P2V+ fly (just a low altitude test flight) without the Wifi module?

Thank you,

I back in the air! After using a fan, rice, alcohol and setting the opened up Phantom in front of an air conditioner, every started up fine. I got a little concerned as I was losing my video connection from the P2V+ less than 50 feet away while it was sitting in the house. I let the Phantom sit powered up for an hour to allow the heat from the wifi module to cook any residual water out. I'm not sure if it was the extra "cooking" or being outside in the air but I was getting 1000'+ range with no signal loss.
:D

If you're talking about the NAZA control, no, it's not sealed. Mine (P2V) was under water for 30 minutes before retrieved. I dried it out etc. and flew it again. As time passed, the flight characteristics became more and more erratic. Not staying in one place, turning by itself and sudden climbing. Eventually, I had to crash it into a small tree to keep it from running off!

I replaced the NAZA control and it has flown perfectly since. I did take the NAZA apart and saw it was not sealed. I believe if I had opened it sooner and properly dried it out it may have survived.

The NAZA box contains the accelerometor, barometer, and gyroscope. All needed to keep it stable in the air. If it starts showing signs of drifting or otherwise not staying put where you put it, that could be the problem.

Geo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl