P2 Altitude restrictions?

Reaction score
Howdy! I looked around a bit and couldn't find a definitive answer so here goes...

Are there altitude restrictions with the Phantom 2? I was just flying and I could not go higher than 122m. I tried multiple times, and it would stop at 122m. I called the shop I bought the unit from 2 weeks ago, and they said that you can't go any higher than that. Well.... I have gone higher than that. Just the other day I was as high as 375m, at a different location. I haven't updated any firmware or software. I tried last night but it said everything was up to date. So, are we topped at 122m or 400' and the software/firmware won't allow you to go higher? If so.... why was I able to a couple days ago? Another thought, where I was flying this morning it was maybe 3-5 miles off the take off path of an airport. Are flight paths or no fly zones incorporated into the software? Thanks!

Howdy! I looked around a bit and couldn't find a definitive answer so here goes...

Are there altitude restrictions with the Phantom 2? I was just flying and I could not go higher than 122m. I tried multiple times, and it would stop at 122m. I called the shop I bought the unit from 2 weeks ago, and they said that you can't go any higher than that. Well.... I have gone higher than that. Just the other day I was as high as 375m, at a different location. I haven't updated any firmware or software. I tried last night but it said everything was up to date. So, are we topped at 122m or 400' and the software/firmware won't allow you to go higher? If so.... why was I able to a couple days ago? Another thought, where I was flying this morning it was maybe 3-5 miles off the take off path of an airport. Are flight paths or no fly zones incorporated into the software? Thanks!

Yes there are restrictions.

Review this page to see if you were effected:

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

Reactions: GregS
The limits are set in the assistant software. 400' is the default max height. 122M = 400'.
That would seem to explain that but not your ability to get to 375M unless the limits were changed.

The limits are set in the assistant software. 400' is the default max height. 122M = 400'.
That would seem to explain that but not your ability to get to 375M unless the limits were changed.

Depending on which software you have installed v3.8 or v3.6 the only altitude restriction are around airport that listed in the no fly zones and Washington DC. At present the FAA has asked that we fly no higher than 400' and use LOS but there is no limit in how high or far you can fly.

Depending on which software you have installed v3.8 or v3.6 the only altitude restriction are around airport that listed in the no fly zones and Washington DC. At present the FAA has asked that we fly no higher than 400' and use LOS but there is no limit in how high or far you can fly.

I'm referring to the limits tab under advanced where the user can set max height and max radius. This is in 3.8.

That could well be in v3.8 which I do not intend to update to. First off I set my altitude 305' and radius to 1640' which is more than enough, Now if I'm not mistaken if you which to ATTI in the Naza-M mode there is no limit regarding altitude or distance and of course the FAA has no restriction either. FAA has some proposed rules they will send to Congress some time this year but I don't see Congress acting on those rules till after 2016 if then.

That could well be in v3.8 which I do not intend to update to. First off I set my altitude 305' and radius to 1640' which is more than enough, Now if I'm not mistaken if you which to ATTI in the Naza-M mode there is no limit regarding altitude or distance and of course the FAA has no restriction either. FAA has some proposed rules they will send to Congress some time this year but I don't see Congress acting on those rules till after 2016 if then.

Max height is still active in Atti.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision+_Flight_Limits

image.jpg
I tried to fly down to a park they're building near my house but my 1000' distance limit bit me. Would have liked a few 100 more but I was was freaking out as it was.

Hey Jason have you been past the 400 ft limit?And how do you correct the curvature in the pics?

No I haven't past 400' as a videographer there isn't anything at that height or beyond that I need. The point to this discussion was there an altitude restriction of 400' and the answer to that is there isn't any restrictions whatsoever. The FAA as requested that we fly under 400' and within LOS but they have no authority to impose any restrictions on height or distance at is time other then near airports and a 15.5 mile radius from Washington DC. If you read my last post on this subject and took the time to check to see what was true or not.

You can remove the fisheye off the horizon /vertical by process of distorting the parameters and cropping the photo. The same can be done in video but not as well when the cameras is being tilted up and down as that footage is good for home monies and nothing else. On a GP in ultra wide/medium the easiest way would be to change the lens to get rid of the fisheye altogether.

Hey Jason what's the best setting in your opinion on the go pro hero 3+ silver for getting great video and for Picts as well thanks

Hey Jason have you been past the 400 ft limit?And how do you correct the curvature in the pics?

I assume you are using a GoPro and if you are download GoPro Studio as it does a nice job of removing fisheye and best of all it free.

Hey Jason what's the best setting in your opinion on the go pro hero 3+ silver for getting great video and for Picts as well thanks

If you don't fisheye then shoot 1080p 30fps in narrow.

Reactions: Oscar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.