Using DJI GEO, worked fairly well

Reaction score
So, encounter my first "full" use of the DJI GEO system tonight. I thought I'd share the experience; I had a problem and a little confusion. Now, I'm sorry, I didn't take screen shots and the place I did this I had a LOT of annoying distraction as it was happening (can't people leave you alone while you are working on your drone? seriously?!)

Let me set this all up. The place I'm flying is just one block from two national sports stadiums (Comerica Park and Ford Field). A year ago I could fly it without restriction. Then the DJI Go NFZ version came out and both stadiums, according to only DJI generate a 24/7 Red No Fly Zone a mile out. Finally the version of Go came out with GEO support and suddenly I could fly there again - EVEN during a game! (didn't expect that). I've NEVER flow OVER the stadiums, but I have flown right after a game (5 minutes) as the fireworks went off, no problem.

Today, I go to start up and I get the Cannot Take Off message. I click it and all I'm told is that I'm in a No Fly Zone. I check B4UFLY and nothing. I look in DJIs map and see nothing. I can find yellow circles on the map on Go but that's it.

Now, here I have to apologize, I Cannot remember what I did (turning GEO off then back on again?) but Suddenly I see a screen I've never seen before. GEO asking me if I want to self-authorize to fly here! Whoa! Of course I DO!

It gives me two options, via text or credit card. I try text first, my cell is handy! It texts me a "verify" code number within seconds, BUT on the screen it simply reports, after a few moments, "Unable to verify, try again" - I wasn't given anywhere to type in the verify code.

So I switched to credit cared, typed in my info and moments later, I had authorization. 10 seconds later the red Cannot Take Off was replaced with a Safe To Fly (GPS) in green.

Footnote: I visited my DJI account page and this authorization is not listed.

So, is the text feature broken? Should I report this "Bug"? or, what did I do wrong?

And, can anyone tell us all, what IS the right way to get to this screen when there is a Cannot Take Off message - instead of me fumbling around next time.

Thanks for reading.
DJI_0094.JPG

Reactions: Squirrel!
I have same problem today.. I used my CC and text booth failed to work.. WTH? Maybe is a bug.
I had been flying this area for months now and today was something new.. I was no way near 5 miles to the airport.. To be exact is 12 miles east of me is the airport. So any I turn off the GEO system.

So, encounter my first "full" use of the DJI GEO system tonight. I thought I'd share the experience; I had a problem and a little confusion. Now, I'm sorry, I didn't take screen shots and the place I did this I had a LOT of annoying distraction as it was happening (can't people leave you alone while you are working on your drone? seriously?!)

Let me set this all up. The place I'm flying is just one block from two national sports stadiums (Comerica Park and Ford Field). A year ago I could fly it without restriction. Then the DJI Go NFZ version came out and both stadiums, according to only DJI generate a 24/7 Red No Fly Zone a mile out. Finally the version of Go came out with GEO support and suddenly I could fly there again - EVEN during a game! (didn't expect that). I've NEVER flow OVER the stadiums, but I have flown right after a game (5 minutes) as the fireworks went off, no problem.

Today, I go to start up and I get the Cannot Take Off message. I click it and all I'm told is that I'm in a No Fly Zone. I check B4UFLY and nothing. I look in DJIs map and see nothing. I can find yellow circles on the map on Go but that's it.

Now, here I have to apologize, I Cannot remember what I did (turning GEO off then back on again?) but Suddenly I see a screen I've never seen before. GEO asking me if I want to self-authorize to fly here! Whoa! Of course I DO!

It gives me two options, via text or credit card. I try text first, my cell is handy! It texts me a "verify" code number within seconds, BUT on the screen it simply reports, after a few moments, "Unable to verify, try again" - I wasn't given anywhere to type in the verify code.

So I switched to credit cared, typed in my info and moments later, I had authorization. 10 seconds later the red Cannot Take Off was replaced with a Safe To Fly (GPS) in green.

Footnote: I visited my DJI account page and this authorization is not listed.

So, is the text feature broken? Should I report this "Bug"? or, what did I do wrong?

And, can anyone tell us all, what IS the right way to get to this screen when there is a Cannot Take Off message - instead of me fumbling around next time.

Thanks for reading.
View attachment 63523

I had a similar incident just before the Labor Day weekend with my P4. I had serious reservations about using my credit card, so I chose the text option. Same as you, I couldn't, for the life of me, find where to enter the authorization code. After a few colorful expletives, and frustratingly tapping the window prompting to enter the authorization code, the window scrolled down, revealing a field to enter the authorization code. In short, swipe up on the screen to reveal the "hidden" field. I was "Safe To Fly" shortly thereafter.

The next day I tried flying again and received the same "No-Fly Zone" message. Frustrated, I found and turned off the GEO System feature (DJI Go iOS version 2.9.1). I've flown restriction-free ever since.

Last edited:
By the way, in a different thread, Check your NOTAMs - glad I did. it has been advised to NOT upgrade to version 2.9.2 as the GEO System feature cannot be disabled. I have not been able to confirm this, but since "it ain't broke", I'll stay with version 2.9.1 as my P4 seems to fly just fine to me.

I fly (part 107) within a mile or two of a hospital rather frequently, and I also fly within the radius of an airfield that is Class D during the weekdays from 8:00-4:30, but I fly when it reverts to Class G. I turn Geo off for these reasons as I'm already aware of the airspace, TFRs, etc. I don't need the app getting in my way.

Does v3 DJI go have the option to turn off GEO?
I don't have a problem with the extra info per say, but I do have a problem that the machine we bought have to seek permission from a 3rd party (DJI geo service) each time we fly. GEO makes it possible for them to ground all the drones if they wanted to. Would you buy a car that the manufacture can disable agains your will?

I fly (part 107) within a mile or two of a hospital rather frequently, and I also fly within the radius of an airfield that is Class D during the weekdays from 8:00-4:30, but I fly when it reverts to Class G. I turn Geo off for these reasons as I'm already aware of the airspace, TFRs, etc. I don't need the app getting in my way.

yep i did that too. i was in RC Flying Field too and stupid apps tell me I can't fly here Go figure! So i disabled Mr.Neo Geo[emoji85]

klnyc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4