Optimal Stable Firmware and Concurrent RC/Battery/Gimbal Versions

Reaction score
Good Day Pilots!
I hope I am posting this right; did a couple searches, didn't really find what I was looking for, but a little nervous to post.... don't want to get yelled at.

Previous DJI Pilot, had a Phantom 2 Vision (not +), and as many have posted, WiFi went crispy (suspect a firmware release forgot about keeping the fan on or maybe just too old?).

Ordered a BRAND NEW Phantom 3 w/Extra Battery from "SkyBoss Drones", and while I await, am reviewing diligently all the releases, documentation, etc.

I know first hand that a lot of Firmware upgrade versions w/their counterparts i.e. A/C must have version XXX, R/C Must have version XXX, Gimbal must have version XXX, and in some cases, batteries must have XXX.

I would like to ask some of you more seasoned Phantom 3 Pro Pilots out there WHAT Firmware "Set" is the most stable and performs the best for you? I am an avid believer in "if it's not broken, don't fix it", and I have read several comments that vary from "This Firmware XXX Broke my Bird, Can't Bind", or "Now I have less than half the range after Firmware version XXX was applied", and so on.

Looking to avoid all the nightmares and learn from you all what is the best "Set" of Firmware for all of the above mentioned that seems to work best and be stable? I really don't want to have a bad experience right out of the box, and wish for things to go smoothly.

I realize that most likely I will have to upgrade "Everything" as there is no telling how long the Bird that is delivered was sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

Any advice from the Professionals out there?

Best Regards All,

AJ......

I am an avid believer in "if it's not broken, don't fix it"
I'm an avid believer of "what goes up must come down". Therefore, I always install the latest firmware after it's known to be stable. I'm a software developer, so I know how software companies work. Few normally disclose all of the bugs that have been fixed -- even more so if nobody has publicly reported them.

If you decide to upgrade the firmware, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Reactions: AJLebeau
Thank you Msinger for the link; pardon me if I wasn't clear but I understand fully the resources that are available and have looked into them regarding as to how to conduct the upgrades. What my concern is or what is more my question is has anyone had any problems with the most current releases that I should know about other than the pilot here or there. I have not been able to find any specific firmwares ( current or otherwise) that seemed to be the norm or trend. I do see the occasional post asking for instructions on how to roll back to previous versions Etc.

I suppose what I'm asking all those Pros out there is if indeed the current versions/levels are giving everyone what they expect and is not inhibiting and or otherwise compromising the birds performance, range at cetera. Has anyone experienced any problems with the most recent versions of the remote, gimbal,A/Chris and Battery updates? Apparently Msinger is offering that the most recent releases are stable and are of no consequence regarding performance distance and other aspects of the Phantom 3 professional. Is there anyone else that agrees or disagrees and has comments regarding the most conversions on the DJI site?

Thank you Msinger for the link; pardon me if I wasn't clear but I understand fully the resources that are available and have looked into them regarding as to how to conduct the upgrades. What my concern is or what is more my question is has anyone had any problems with the most current releases that I should know about other than the pilot here or there. I have not been able to find any specific firmwares ( current or otherwise) that seemed to be the norm or trend. I do see the occasional post asking for instructions on how to roll back to previous versions Etc.

I suppose what I'm asking all those Pros out there is if indeed the current versions/levels are giving everyone what they expect and is not inhibiting and or otherwise compromising the birds performance, range at cetera. Has anyone experienced any problems with the most recent versions of the remote, gimbal,A/Chris and Battery updates? Apparently Msinger is offering that the most recent releases are stable and are of no consequence regarding performance distance and other aspects of the Phantom 3 professional. Is there anyone else that agrees or disagrees and has comments regarding the most conversions on the DJI site?

I'm sorry, using my phone and voice recognition doesn't always do it. Needs to be a bit more careful about proof reading but what I was asking was about the most current versions on the DJI site.

Hi again Msinger,

I am an IT Pro (Retired Now) myself; glad to know from a software development point that you approve. My biggest fear is that the latest software somehow "Limits" the performance characteristics originally intended and capable of the system. I know the rules well, however, on the right occasion in the right region, I might like to "Take advantage" of some of the range features for instance (both height and distance). I not talking about extremes, as for instance 400ft is pretty high, and visually one doesn't get much from being higher that can't be obtained from a satellite map, but there are occasions where I might need/want to push that. Also, same said for distance.

Have you noted any specific limitations around what I am talking about here by chance?

A.J. Lebeau
Computer Network Systems Administrator/Engineer
M.C.S.E., M.C.P. + I., M.C.P., CompTIA+
[email protected]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers