One reason Amazon is a great place to shop

Wow... I guess I'm on a streak here tonight... pissing off people left and right. I should quit while I'm ahead.

I'm not saying the warranty is a scheme. Or that Amazon or Smart Guard are evil. But just looking at it from a business point of view, offering full replacement of a $500 product, for a $1/month policy just isn't sustainable, when, as you said, crashes are nearly inevitable for almost anyone who buys the product. Especially when you also figure there has to be some profit in it for Smart Guard (since they're not a non-profit).

There have to be some restrictions on the policy. Restrictions that you probably won't know about until you try to make a claim. Is all.

Not trying to be mean, or a negative Nancy. And like I said... I'll love to be proved wrong. But for now, I'm skeptical.

ProfessorStein said:
Wow... I guess I'm on a streak here tonight... pissing off people left and right. I should quit while I'm ahead.

I'm not saying the warranty is a scheme. Or that Amazon or Smart Guard are evil. But just looking at it from a business point of view, offering full replacement of a $500 product, for a $1/month policy just isn't sustainable, when, as you said, crashes are nearly inevitable for almost anyone who buys the product. Especially when you also figure there has to be some profit in it for Smart Guard (since they're not a non-profit).

There have to be some restrictions on the policy. Restrictions that you probably won't know about until you try to make a claim. Is all.

Not trying to be mean, or a negative Nancy. And like I said... I'll love to be proved wrong. But for now, I'm skeptical.

I appreciate your thoughts and input. I really agree with you and when I found out that someone had a quad replaced and that I could buy for only $58.00 a warranty, blew my mind. I got focused and now as I look at my future purchases I am getting this warranty. Not because someone has proven to me that it works, but because I am a real major *** sometimes and what makes sense should be what it is. Who am I to determine how much this warranty should cost, but as we both are very aware the way the money is made here is from those folks who buy the service but never use it. If this is true and other then just our historical memories there is not a single reason to think the warranty is not what it says it is. It would be hard for someone to use it as a scam and get paid more then once. Since you probably have to register with serial number the coverage really can only be used on the product it was bought with. and Finally, we really try hard to not crash, to keep it clean and working well and that is what will make the warranty company money, is our efforts to protect our quads. No one pissed here. all good and again, thanks for your thinking, if we all just agreed this thread would have died

I just wanted to post my further experience in my relationship with Amazon. So, if you have followed my saga, in the beginning, like last week I called to see about adding a warranty on my FC40 purchase over 2 months after I made my purhase and since the Amazon agent was unable to get me the insurance on my used bird he arranged a return with full refund so I could so ahead and buy a new one, add the warranty and sleep very well at night. I have since mailed back my FC40 (and I miss her dearly, but I do have my other toys to help me through this bump in the road) and I have the complete and full refund to my credit card.

But as I reported above I am having second thoughts about buying another FC40 since I got this Phantom V1.2 and should have my Vision plus back in a week or two from DJI. So, I called Amazon and asked them if it was ok if I did not do as I had originally said I would, I am a man of my word and I wanted to know if it would be ok to get other stuff instead. The agent said once the refund was made I could do whatever I wanted and it was nice of me to as.

What I think I want to do is play with the Phantom V1.2 and add a gopro Hero Black + (with drop and spill warranty) and get that zenmuse h3-3d gimbal, do all the board changes I need to the v1.2 and the transmitter. Get some fpv stuff to round out the equipment.

I am very aware that as of this point there is no solid examples of a warranty experience, but if more folks see this thread, buy from Amazon with warranty we will soon see how well it works. I would cross my fingers but with the arthritis I cannot for long.

I purchased my very first Quadcopter, the Phantom Vision 2+, from Amazon yesterday. UPS will be delivering it today! I plan to take it on a surf trip to Costa Rica in a few weeks. It's going to be flying over ocean. I was originally justifying my purchase figuring I would return it when I got home... but I really doubt I'll be returning it.

My biggest fear of course is it breaking... really more from the horror YouTube videos of the thing flying off uncontrollably. (My favorite one is the one that goes to like 10,000 feet.... WELL above the clouds) before losing power and skydiving without a parachute.

Anyway, I was offered the warranty, so of course I bought it. Plan Purchased: 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($1250-1500). It was $85 with tax.

They send you an email with an order ID and PIN, and you have to go to a website to register your purchase... the website has a bunch of dropdowns where you select the type, manufacturer, and model of the item you are protecting. I chose Camcorder, next, I could select DJI, and the third column has the Phantom Vision 2 + as a choice.

I don't understand either. Amazon is making some money off selling the plan... Even if the insurer is getting $70, one claim out of 19 policies is just the break-even point on the plan itself, not including overhead, administering the policy, and profit.

The math truly does not work... but if Amazon is bundling the plan with the drone, and their very own website allows you to register the drone for EXECTLY what it is that they are covering, how would they get out of paying a claim? I happen to live in Florida as well, which is one of the tougher states when it comes to insurance regulations...

I hope I don't crash the thing, but if it happens, hopefully this will take care of it.

Please note: I'm not saying Smart Guard will do this, or that this WILL happen to you.

But from experience with just simple manufacturers warranties on other products... all the insuring entity has to say is "manufacturing defect" or "use not as intended" or "act of God" or point to a section in the fine print and they are free to do whatever they want... either pay out a reduced sum, and even not pay out at all. And the consumer has little recourse.

Again... not saying Smart Guard plays this way. We won't know until someone actually makes a claim. But the question was asked "how could they possibly get out of paying"... and that's how.

Actually the reason I started this thread was a person who had used the warranty and had his quad returned. After I saw that post I went to Amazon and saw the option to purchase the plan. So, there was a person who reported that he was satisfied about how a warranty claim went. Professor, I bet you are in your 60's or later as I am. In the past add on warranty was where the profit was made in retail. But remember why that worked. People did not use it. So the companies made money. It was not as you say that claims were refused as much as we, the customer, try very hard to not break things and if we do we forget about the warranty or it has expired. As you are, I am waiting for someone to make a claim and tell us how it went.

I plan on buying my second Phantom, and happened to come across this post. This time I plan to buy the P2 w/ H3-3D. The best price I can find is ~$950. I found it for that price on Amazon now also, after reading this thread and searching. As you can see from the link, the 4 year drops and spills warranty is $76.99.

I hope we can get some clarity on how worthwhile this coverage could turn out to be. The insurance threads don't have any real firm answers either..

jaxbert said:
I purchased my very first Quadcopter..... I plan to take it on a surf trip to Costa Rica in a few weeks.
jaxbert, where in CR??

- Most of those "warranties" are not worth the paper they are printed on. Every few years, there are new companies offering these things. They pay out at the beginning to get good reviews and lots of customers and then they switch to deny, exclude, not-respond mode.

- As for Amazon, if you don't have Prime it sucks. They _purposely_ delay "free shipping." It takes me a lot longer to get anything from Amazon versus Newegg, B&H, etc.

So, did we ever determine... does the protection addon really cover accidental damage for a copter?

I also read that same thread about Squaretrade. Someone said it covered it and they made a claim successfully. Then the last post in the thread someone says they called and it is not (no longer?) covered.

witold said:
- Most of those "warranties" are not worth the paper they are printed on. Every few years, there are new companies offering these things. They pay out at the beginning to get good reviews and lots of customers and then they switch to deny, exclude, not-respond mode.

- As for Amazon, if you don't have Prime it sucks. They _purposely_ delay "free shipping." It takes me a lot longer to get anything from Amazon versus Newegg, B&H, etc.

Used to be true. My son's son knocked over his Smart TV and broke it. Square Trade had a brand new replacement tv there in less then a week. I have not heard of a single upset Square Trade user. For example, we as a people really like to complain when things do not go our way. Square Trade and Now Square Guard have been around for some years now. I am not hearing from people who bought a warranty and it was not honored as I think we would have. I am sure if you bought the warranty and tried to use it and it did not go the way you wanted, you would be here or somewhere yelling at the top of your voice? Am I right? Where are the folks who have wasted their money? Instead, if you do a search like I just did, there is one person saying not to buy the warranty. And not because, like yourself, because he was refused, but because he did not like the wording of the warranty. Go ahead, google, does square trade warranty work.

I worked in retail, in the past it the add on warranty was horrible, things have changed. And finally to end my speach, would you want to not have a warranty if it did work? Remember if you don't have a drop and spill warranty for your bird, you should not fly, because you will crash, and you will cry. (I hope everyone understands I am not trying to be offensive, I am really trying to convince myself that this is a good thing)

Wedeliver said:
in the past it the add on warranty was horrible, things have changed. And finally to end my speach, would you want to not have a warranty if it did work? Remember if you don't have a drop and spill warranty for your bird, you should not fly, because you will crash, and you will cry. (I hope everyone understands I am not trying to be offensive, I am really trying to convince myself that this is a good thing)

I don't know where you did your research, but on the most comprehensive and legitimate site, Reseller Ratings, Square Trade gets pretty abysmal marks. People are getting denied for all sorts of issues or pushed to use manufacturer warranty (which in case of DJI, is a several months long process.)

These people are not in the business of giving away money. They're in the business of collecting as much as they can and paying out as little as they can. That's how this business model works. If they spot that Phantom warranties are losing them money, they will raise prices and start being very strict and denying people. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not this month, but they will do it eventually. They're not just going to sit idly by and keep writing 1K checks because someone bought their $50 "insurance."

If you want real insurance, contact a real insurance company and add a personal article rider to your car insurance. This is probably the easiest and most legitimate way to cover your toys - Phantoms, cameras, etc. It's dirt cheap, and they don't operate in a scummy way like 3rd party insurance plans.

Like witold said... they have great customer service and great coverage, processing amazing claims... for the first year or so of the companies life. And then they start to decline into "abysmal". Just in time for them to file for bankruptcy and reemerge as a new company and a new warranty product to start the process all over again.

witold said:
Wedeliver said:
in the past it the add on warranty was horrible, things have changed. And finally to end my speach, would you want to not have a warranty if it did work? Remember if you don't have a drop and spill warranty for your bird, you should not fly, because you will crash, and you will cry. (I hope everyone understands I am not trying to be offensive, I am really trying to convince myself that this is a good thing)

I don't know where you did your research, but on the most comprehensive and legitimate site, Reseller Ratings, Square Trade gets pretty abysmal marks. People are getting denied for all sorts of issues or pushed to use manufacturer warranty (which in case of DJI, is a several months long process.)

These people are not in the business of giving away money. They're in the business of collecting as much as they can and paying out as little as they can. That's how this business model works. If they spot that Phantom warranties are losing them money, they will raise prices and start being very strict and denying people. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not this month, but they will do it eventually. They're not just going to sit idly by and keep writing 1K checks because someone bought their $50 "insurance."

If you want real insurance, contact a real insurance company and add a personal article rider to your car insurance. This is probably the easiest and most legitimate way to cover your toys - Phantoms, cameras, etc. It's dirt cheap, and they don't operate in a scummy way like 3rd party insurance plans.

Research? I don't need no stinking research, I just say what comes out of my mouth. Sometimes I am very amazed at what I say, but I don't think I ever claimed to have done research. I just thought that if we could get coverage so that if I drove off with my quad on the roof of my car and it broke, I would not be out all that money. I never really thought that I could get a warranty that would cover me being a stupid person and flying over water with a weak battery. So, I and remember its just me, do whatever I can to cover my ***. It is an old *** and needs to be properly cared for. If you and the professor think that this is a ******** warranty and a waste of money, I don't think it is productive to just speak without a real reason. I went to Reseller Ratings and read what the folks there have said.

1st report:

"SCAM SCAM SCAM > I purchased a 4 year warrant for a 60 inch projection TV. Site says all parts and service included. After purchasing and recieving policy I find in fine print that the projection lamp is not included. Of course I did not find this until the 3rd year when the lamp failed. What a waste of money. They know this is the part that fails on these tv's. You don't find this until after you have purchased. DONT DO IT!"

That is so stupid. I also purchased a projection and I have had to replace the lamp 3 times in 8 years, no it is not covered, it is disposable.

2nd report:

"Bought a TV from eBay. Went to SquareTrade to purchase a warranty. Found and purchased a 3 year warranty for $22.47. A month later, the same warranty on the same eBay item is offered for 99¢. I called SquareTrade to see what, if anything, they could do for me. The CSR said call eBay and that they would not be helping me in any way. Poor customer service. If you didn't want to deal with people requesting price adjustments, you shouldn't be offering different prices at different times.
I hope I never have to open a claim with Squaretrade. I am afraid that the customer service would be terrible with claims as well. "

So,this is a reason not to get warranty coverage for you quad?

3rd report:

"They claim their warranties are cheaper and better than what you can get through the manufacturers. They are cheaper, but on items like cell phones and tablets, it's worth paying more, because then you are covered for everything, including being lost or stolen, which square trade does not cover.

If your item quits working, it is a great warranty, as I have used it and got fully refunded. I should have paid Verizon the $10/month for my Elipses 7 tablet, which was stolen & it would have been replaced.

Lesson learned!"

Again, these 3 people all gave square trade a horrible rating like one or two stars, yet to me their complaints are crazy to begin with. lets have a look at the next one.. everyone can play, find one that says service was refused for a resonable service request.

"I purchased a Square Trade warranty through e-bay for a phone (purchased in July 2013) now that I need to use the warranty it seems Square Trade cannot find the warranty. I have a receipt and everything but after two weeks of trying to get someone to find it I am not happy and will never buy from Square Trade again."

Oops, as it says on the warranty.., go to square trade dot com and register, that way in the future we can honor your warranty. I don't think that is very much to ask, that we register makes complete sense,. During that registration process the purchase is confirmed to be one that they cover, where and when you bought it. Then you can use your warranty later during its period. OK, That is 4, the very first four. one more just to show I did some kind of research, as opposed to other people who asked me if I had done research, but I wonder now what research they had done, or were they just having fun with me.

this one is a two star rating..

"I had an asus laptop that I purchased through tiger direct and warrenteed for 3 years. Now, it seems that this laptop was a trouble laptop for replacement parts, as neither tiger direct or square trade managed to replace the motherboard in the end (the repair tigerdirect suggested).

Firstly: The same day service advertised strictly means that if you call them and wish to send the item to them, they will -send you a box- within 2 business days. Nothing more.

Secondly: The suggestion to please back up your data in case of damage is also important because (for me) they salvaged my laptop -without asking or even telling me.

Thirdly: You have to take the innitiative to call them yourself. I never got an email on any updates after sending my laptop away.

Fourthly: Refunds of the item in case of inability to fix come in the form of a cheque in the mail.

Fifth: It is one of those companies you have to call to set up an account with them, after purchase of their warrenty.

I can not say that their customer service was bad. I guess they had an attitude to try to be helpful, but the consistancy was just not there. And if your warrenty is neither hassle-free or worry-free, then you really have to ask yourself what it is you are paying for."

Ok, my turn. I really find this one above very funny. I am not sure what the ***** is, but I can tell someone is not happy but they aren't sure who to be mad at, Tiger Direct or Square Trade. Also as I said in a previous post, a big way that money is made by these companies and people who do not wish to follow some rather simple steps. Register and make your claim timely.

so, spend a good amount of time writing this.. and I gotta hit send before I accedently delele half of it.. thanks guys for the discussion, but I think I am winning! Your turn! :)

ok, after submitting the above I went and read the next two reviews which were 5 star.. they follow.

"I bought Square Trade insurance for several items because I wanted insurance from a company with a reputation of taking care of their customers, and I wanted the accidental damage coverage when it was available. Desktop PCs are not eligible for some reason. Granted, like all insurance, I bought it hopping I'd never have to use it. Then one day,Aug 2013, I spilled pop on my MacBook Air.

I filed a claim on the website, they shipped me a box with easy to follow instructions on how to process the claim, they fixed my MacBook Air, and shipped it back. I wish the shipping process was faster, but that was up to UPS. Money well spent. I also like the new program where they give you a little money back if you don't file a claim. The only place where they can improve is to make it clear that they will not process a claim unless they have proof of purchase, so keep the receipt for the item you want covered. This needs to be made clear when you buy their insurance. "

Next review as also 5 star

"SquareTrade, Despite a very long repair process, called me to make things right. I now have my money and can buy my tablet replacement. "

Finally, I have no idea if a warranty will get paid or not, but having a warranty like this I would sleep better at night and hopefully I never make a claim. If I do I know that I have to be reasonsable and I cannot tell them that I crashed it on purpose because I wanted to buy a different one.

Well it looks like from reading this page on Amazon, the camera is the only thing covered, and not the quadcopter. Read the "Questions and Answers" section of the page, someone asks this question:
Q: This accident protection plan is also attached to the DJI Phantom Drone, does that mean that the Phantom Drone and gimbal is protected with this plan?
A: It protects the camera. Attachments not under the plan are not protected.

I think that is an answer from the company providing the coverage,.

Other people posted these answers:
NOT covered! Just did online chat with them and it is NOT COVERED. They are working with Amazon to have it removed as an option!! Wish I could post a screen shot because I saved it.
-and-
iraq

Whatever that last post means, lol.

Unfortunately, it does not seem like it covers the Phantom. Unless I am reading this wrong, which I hope I am.

I know it is really hard to think that a warranty like this might be real and I am getting really tired of trying to defend it since I have no horse in the race it makes no difference to me if you loose out when your quad crashes or get it fixed. It might be only the camera but to a reasonable person it looks like the Phantom is covered including the camera. All that we see on the page you linked to is a warranty for an item that cost between $900 and $1000.00 which phantom costs that amount? The answers to questions are usually done by other customers, not by the business btw. In my opinion if the warranty company did not cover the entire product they would need to say that as part of the plan. I read the plan and it is all covered as far as I can tell. I am not a lawyer,but I aint stupid either.

Dollerprod, I also hope you are reading it wrong and I hope it is real. Thanks for your input as it does help the discussion, sorry for my little vent above.

To me though, I am very suprised at how strong peoples feelings are about warranty being offered. I had thought that this would be a great thing and instead of having to defend myself and this program, I thought we would all be so very happy and thankful for it. Instead I have had almost arguments with nice people who in general I would get along fine. I was not tryig to be a jerk or cause anyone any harm here at Phantom Pilots, just trying to help.

Wedeliver, you're the man and I'm not giving you any flak! It's good on ya to take the time to come here and try to help out.

In my mind, if they allow to purchase a drop and spill plan, then they should honor it. Otherwise it's kind of a fraudulent charge, if you will. Although, the definitions of 'drop and spill' are probably up for interpretation... Oh well, time will tell when someone eventually is denied coverage, the warranty is honored, or they try and last-minute sidestep and just try to offer a refund of the warranty purchase price. Who knows...

I've been wanting to look into some type of coverage for the quadcopter too. Really for any accidental damages to property and such... beyond the cost of replacing the quadcopter and equipment. The insurance threads I have read seem to be as debatable as this one and there is no final answer, that I know of anyway.

I checked this out and clicked on the amazon link then clicked on the warranty offer and below was the result
4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan.it appeas the coverage is for the camera not the quad itself.

Gary48 said:
I checked this out and clicked on the amazon... it appeas the coverage is for the camera not the quad itself.

The funny thing is that a camera is not even up for sale on the listing. So if it only covers the camera, and you are not buying a camera, then... :?:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj