One reason Amazon is a great place to shop

Reaction score
So, I bought my first Phantom an FC40 on May 2, 2014 from Amazon. Price was $499.00. At that time there was no warranty offered, if there was I did not see it. I purchase those warranties today as I find a real value in having that protection. Today, when you go to purchase a DJI Phantom you are offered an drop and spill warranty for like $58.00 for 4 years (for a $499.00 fc40). Naturally that is a good idea for this type of item. I called Amazon and asked if I could add the warranty to my purchase and the tech tried but they were unable to add it, I would have had to bought it with the quad. So the tech issued me a full refund and a prepaid shipping lable and instructed me to return my quad and buy a new one with the protection, either 3 or 4 years with the new one. Now I am floored as I would never had expected them to do this. I am going to follow through but I recommend for anyone looking to buy a Phantom quadcopter to look into the coverage that should be offered. We have heard so much about broken and damaged birds and to think that insurance is available is FRIGGIN FANTASTIC. I am sure you all agree. Has anyone seen other ways to get drop and spill coverage for these types of devices??

I just hope they havent sold it to you by mistake, I remember someone posting something similar a while back and when they went to claim they were told they shouldnt have been sold it and that the phantom wasnt covered. I'd really check that one out.

I would be leary of just how much coverage it can offer. Seeing as how nearly everyone who buys a quad is going to crash it at some time or other... that's, like, 90-100% risk to the insurers. That's not sustainable at $12 a year. So I would guess that they don't cover some items and deny others depending on circumstance.

But, I suppose something is better than nothing. And it's ultra cool that Amazon let you return and rebuy in order to add on the warranty.

Here's a funny idea... return your Phantom, then give it a day or two to see if they activate the "Used" link. You might get your exact same copter back, for a little less. ;-)

And yes, I'm just joking.

Ok, I agree this is strange that drop and spill warranty is offered for this kind of product, but who am I to argue with them. The reason I found out was I was reading some guys post and about some other subject and he just mentioned that he crashed are got a full replacement from square trade. I use square trade whenever I buy something that I think might fail and cameras are one of those things that can be dropped and broken in an instant. Either way here is a link to the Amazon that shows the warranty offer of either 3 or 4 years for almost nothing.
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-CP-PT-000027- ... antom+fc40
Now that Amazon has issued me a full refund, I have cleaned up, made it look like new my FC40 and will return it tomorrow.
But I am not sure if I want to buy another FC40. Since I got that one on May 2nd I got bitten bad so I got a Phantom V 1.2 and a Phantom 2 Vision + both used from ebay. The vision plus had camera damage so I sent it to dji for repair, a little over a week ago and with the july 4th holiday I have not heard back as to when it will be repaired. The Phantom V 1. I paid $350.00 but when I went to run software I found that the micro usb connection had been removed from the led board. So I contacted that seller and he took off $50.00 and sent me a new led with usb connector on it. I did the switch and it works fine now. I am thinking since I feel obligated to send money to Amazon for what they have done, I think I should get a gimbal and camera for the Phantom V1.2 with warranty instead. I notice that when I go to buy a gopro the warranty is offered but not for the gimbals that I could find.

Thats my story and I'm sticking with it!! (so today I drove by our local deputy sheriffs house and I gave him a demo. He will see if this is of interest to the search and rescue folks here in Modoc County, California) If we wanna get the FAA to approve what we do, so public service might be a good example of what is possible.

The problem is that these are not Amazon warranties.

They are 3rd party add-ons and all these warranty companies have horrible reputations. When you read the fine print, everything under the Sun is excluded and when you make a claim, it's going to be very tedious and they will do their best to deny you for the most random reasons. It's like rebates for some companies where they deny pretty much everyone.

witold said:
The problem is that these are not Amazon warranties.

They are 3rd party add-ons and all these warranty companies have horrible reputations. When you read the fine print, everything under the Sun is excluded and when you make a claim, it's going to be very tedious and they will do their best to deny you for the most random reasons. It's like rebates for some companies where they deny pretty much everyone.
Yep it is not worth the money . I got their drops & spills for a camcorder and everything I wanted it for was not covered . I suggest you go read what is covered and what is NOT its a bad deal IMO .

So, the ongoing saga of my attempt to get warranty coverage for my FC40. As offered by Amazon today for $58.44 a person can add 4 year drop and spill coverage to the purchase of a QUADCOPTER. And as I have detailed above when I attempted to purchase this currently offered warranty I was instead told to return the quad and buy a new one with the warranty. That I would be issued a full refund of $506 and I received an email both saying that and a return shipping label. Thennnn last night I check my email and I read that the refund has been issued for $4xx and that a $94.00 restocking fee has been retained. Soooooo. I go to bed, sleep restlessly all night, get up and have my coffee, call Amazon.. I tell the first person that I want to reverse the refund, that if I am charged $94.00 restocking I would not be a happy camper.. the first person says they need to transfer me and I end up with this nice young woman from Kentucky of all places. She after listening to my rant directs me back to my email where I see a goodwill refund f $94.00 has been issued to my account bringing the totaled refunded to $506.00 I thanked her and checked my mail.. there it is..

Now, above there are folks who have not had good experience with product warranties sold with products as an addon. And for good reason, in the past it was a horrible us against them experience. Today things might have changed. Think about just this one example. You buy a FC40, you get the warranty, you drop the quad overboard in the ocean. You call them up. They give you money to buy a new one
This is what the short version is of the coverage. I don't see much wiggle room. Who am I to argue with what seems to be a great deal, without hearing that it does not work from someone who has the need to invoke the warranty.

I know I have been somewhat long winded on this subject but the value here might be fantastic, sleep at night and fly during the day. Join AMA and get coverage over those other things that can befall us.

100% Parts and Labor Coverage PLUS Accidental Damage
5 Day Repair Guarantee on Depot Service
Repair or Replacement Promise on Every Product
Contract shipped via email so there is no waiting
Repair Plans are Fully Transferable at No Cost

and..and....and you can sell the quad with the coverage?? wow.. that just kills me...I love it - buy from Amazon they are GREAT. (say that like tony the tiger)

From one of the only reviewers who seems to have actually tried to use the coverage:

"My camera was damaged and I called them. They did not pay saying that this type of damage is not covered! I called them several times and the person who answers the phone just repeats the same sentences, he says this is what they told him (i.e., no matter what I say, he can only repeat the same stuff! ) So beware"

(all of the other reviewers simply talk about how great the coverage sounds, without ever actually having filed a claim)

Okay just got off the phone with smarts guard that's the company insuring this (also see link) even though it says camera/Camcorder protection plan does not mention quad copter at all. I specifically asked representative if this warranty protection plan includes the quad and not just camera even if you crash he had to check with supervisor. Comes back and tells me it includes and his words the drone and camera.

Holy buckets this sounds weird for me, I told him I was going to call back later and just see if I got the same response and record conversation he agreed and understood. And assured me it covers the quad itself.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Year-Camcorder- ... 0CV9MJU2_t

Yes, you can call and check all you want. Those are all just words. Until someone can tell me they've actually received compensation on a claim for a fly-away or crash, I will have trouble believing it.

Like I said, all of the "good" reviews on Amazon are from people who have not yet tried to file a claim. And the only review from someone who did try to file a claim says they were denied. And one of the other reviews says that there are all sorts of disclaimers and restrictions in the "fine print" of the policy you actually receive (after you've paid your money already). So even though the quad is "covered", I doubt very much that they will cover much of anything in terms of circumstances of any merit or value. Smart Guard would be out of business within a month if they actually paid out full value on quad-copter claims. There would be more money going out then coming in.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong! I'm just skeptical.

Gator113 said:
Hey Wedeliver,

When are you going to post a video of your RV park?

We drag an Airstream around and I can tell you that you're right, your prices would be hard to beat. ;>)

I have been learning about video recording from above and I have not made a real video of my place yet. But here is one that shows the park. Although I don't think it shows it as well as i could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grijLto_1t4

and the video below shows a crater lake that is close to us. I will go again soon I hope since we are in drought. If you look you can see where the normal water line is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBYiAsY3ShE

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Post back when you ever have to claim please ;)

Have you read my post. I got warranty service and I didn't even pay for it ask for it or need it. Full and complete refund and it wasn't broken, just so I could add the 4 year $58.00 coverage. Amazon ROCKS. At least they take care of me. I really do understand your feelings that this cannot be real but it is. As I said, I started this thread because I read a post from a guy who had his quad replaced under warranty. I have looked a little, just since you request this, but I was unable to find it. It was either Vision plus, Fc40 or maybe zenmuse thread.

This is not the first time that Amazon has made a purchase I was concerned about all better even after the 30 day return policy. Back around Xmas I bought the Asus RT AC68U wifi router and it was a piece of junk that lasted only 3 monthst. I had not bought the warranty but Amazon still gave me a full refund. (I got the netgear nighthawk and my guests are very happy). I don't think there is much wiggle room for square trade or square guard to say they will not fix or replace something since the coverage is so simple and clear. I also hope someone with a recent claim might also post their experience here.

When I bought my FC40 on May 2nd the option to purchase a warranty was not there. So I think most of the reviews are from people who never had a chance to cover their quad is my guess why there is no mention of anyone trying to use the term warranty.

This is fantastic as there are so many folks who have been hurt by crashes and I think this will help with the pain. 5 day turn around is also promised. And you can transfer the warranty if you go to sell your quad. THIS IS GREAT! I want to yell it from roof tops.

ProfessorStein said:
From one of the only reviewers who seems to have actually tried to use the coverage:

"My camera was damaged and I called them. They did not pay saying that this type of damage is not covered! I called them several times and the person who answers the phone just repeats the same sentences, he says this is what they told him (i.e., no matter what I say, he can only repeat the same stuff! ) So beware"

(all of the other reviewers simply talk about how great the coverage sounds, without ever actually having filed a claim)

I searched for the word warranty I could only find it used once, here it is

3.0 out of 5 stars It's so much fun until it drops out of the sky, June 20, 2014
By F. Lastname (Midwest) - See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I've had this little fellow for all of two days. I purchased a second battery with it (DJI branded), and had both batteries charged up for day one. Got about 10 minutes out of each battery and it was very fun. The drone is responsive, quick, and quickly out of sight. I tested the return-to-home function a few times, and it did what it's supposed to: Drone rises to about 50ft, returns to the starting position, then lowers itself to the ground and shuts off. Rising high into the sky, it maintains its position by GPS. When leaving the sticks untouched, it just sits there. Perfect!
After the first outing, I brought it back, connected it to the computer, and confirmed that it was on the latest firmware. I also limited the altitude to 150m (500ft) and the radius to 200m. This still seems a bit far, as the drone is barely visible at those distances. The next morning, more flying -- exploring a water tower, nearby conservation land, a few buildings. On the second flight, the battery was running low and I brought it down toward me before it landed itself. All, not bad. I went home and charged the batteries again, and did another run in the evening. First battery was fun, got some good footage of a local park and lake, brought it back and replaced the battery. I flew it over the lake, confident now that I had plenty of battery and that it would return itself safely if something went awry. About two minutes into the flight, the sounds just stopped and the drone fell into the water. Gone. With no boat or other way to get on the lake, I had to abandon the thing.

Based on what I've read online, this is an *unusual* thing for the Phantom, not so for the Phantom 2. Fly-aways seem much more common (and are scary enough). I believe this was a manufacturing defect in my particular specimen, not a general problem with the drone itself. An internal connection going lose or failing, or maybe failure of the electronics.

The camera holder is insufficient, and lost the camera twice in the short time I had it -- both times when landing. I recommend adding a couple of rubber-bands around it to keep them tighter, or adding a piece of duct-tape over the back of the camera and holder.

I need to give kudos to Amazon for handling this as a warranty case (which I believe it was), and refunding the purchase price. Of course, I will return the (now useless) transmitter to them, and hopefully it will find a new home with a future user.

Based on reviews and anecdotes I've read for the Phantom series of drones, I'm planning on making a few modifications for the next one:
- Write my phone# on it... in case it flies away.
- Tether the camera to the body of the drone with a piece of rope, to keep it near the drone should it fall out of the holder.
- Install a secondary GPS and RF link (I already ordered the parts) which report back position, battery voltage and other parameters to me... in case it flies away. I might add a buzzer or brighter light as well, in order to make finding it easier in tall grass (see below). Yes, this adds $100+ in cost, but compared to losing the aircraft, it's nothing. (If anyone is interested on something like that, please leave a comment)

I think that DJI have a decent product, but they missed a few easy and free features that would make this drone easier to use... and easier to keep. For example, plugging it in produces a ludicrous sound with no apparent utility. This means it has a speaker or piezo element. So... why not have the drone start beeping and making noise if it finds itself crashed? The IMU would know how it landed, and could determine that it might have to be found -- this would especially important in fly-away situations.

Also, reading one anecdote, I'm wondering why *anyone* would *ever* want to turn off the GPS feature in flight. I think this might be the main reason why those things fly away -- perfect GPS, locked home-position, but... accidentally toggled off the GPS/ATTI/FS switch. DJI -- fix your firmware. If I take off with GPS, I expect the thing to land with GPS. Better yet, prevent liftoff if GPS is turned on but can't acquire a lock!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

The point is... it's really only "great" if the warranty is truly useful and not just another way for Amazon to take your money.

Yes... it's very cool customer service on Amazon's part. But they aren't just doing it out of the kindness of their heart. They're a business. They do it to make money. And if what you're spending your money on isn't useful, you might as well save that money... no matter how good they were to you.

ProfessorStein said:
The point is... it's really only "great" if the warranty is truly useful and not just another way for Amazon to take your money.

Yes... it's very cool customer service on Amazon's part. But they aren't just doing it out of the kindness of their heart. They're a business. They do it to make money. And if what you're spending your money on isn't useful, you might as well save that money... no matter how good they were to you.

You are probably right. I mean we never ever thought that a company would offer this kind of coverage since it is inevitable that we will crash. Not just a chance. And Amazon sure is out to get our money without giving us anything of value. I think you might be over analizing (sic) this as you see it as a scheme to take our money rather then a financial transaction with a benifit for both parties. The coverage is pretty clear. But our debate will not satisfy nor give us the answers we are looking for. good luck, god bless and happy flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik