Obsidian HDMI output module?

Reaction score
Hello,
New here after lots of searches and I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for.

Does DJI offer, or plan to offer, a new version Obsidian HDMI output module to add to the P4P Obsidian?
I don't want to buy the P4P+ just to get that option...

I assume the older white module could be used but just don't want a white module and don't know if there have been updates to the new transmitters

Thanks

Or maybe cover the HDMI output module with black vinyl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Techcop50
lol, I think i’m more interested to see if there are any “changes” or updates with the obsidian HDMI module outside the color.

If there are no changes with the modules itself then the white module is totally fine

I just added one to my Obsidian, the white cover doesnt look bad, and its on the back of the controller anyway .. Works fine.

I just added one to my Obsidian, the white cover doesnt look bad, and its on the back of the controller anyway .. Works fine.
Have you tested to see if your gimbal flips? Just go full speed in S mode and turn left sharp, or fly sideways to the right full speed. If the camera rotates 90 degrees for a second and then returns to level, that's the flip anomaly that P4P has had from the beginning a year ago. We're hoping the Obsidian had this fixed, but my DJI contact says it's the same, no fix. This anomaly can be mitigated by flying with OA on all the time, reducing forward speed to ~30mph. On days with no winds that fixes the flip problem. Let us know what you find.

Have you tested to see if your gimbal flips? Just go full speed in S mode and turn left sharp, or fly sideways to the right full speed. If the camera rotates 90 degrees for a second and then returns to level, that's the flip anomaly that P4P has had from the beginning a year ago. We're hoping the Obsidian had this fixed, but my DJI contact says it's the same, no fix. This anomaly can be mitigated by flying with OA on all the time, reducing forward speed to ~30mph. On days with no winds that fixes the flip problem. Let us know what you find.

I havent observed any gimbal issues. Here is a screen capture video of my Obsidian in sport mode getting flogged around. Didnt notice any problems with the gimbal.

I havent observed any gimbal issues. Here is a screen capture video of my Obsidian in sport mode getting flogged around. Didnt notice any problems with the gimbal.

That's great news! Hope this problem has finally been solved by DJI.

DJI won't admit to the issue in the first place, so they aren't going to announce it's been fixed. All we can do is test and find out, and it appears we may be in luck.

On a windy day, such as 5 or 10mph, try flying sideways to the right, with the right side into the wind, at full speed. That's the ultimate test. If it stays steady and level, then it's definitely fixed.

Thanks for the report! I'm hopeful now.

So chatted today with someone that has lots of experience and the Obsidian P4P+ module is not the same as the module you can currently buy...

The P4P+ module in the back has HMDI that will put out 1080-4K and the existing module upgrade will go 720p.

That leaves me wondering what is so different in that P4P+ model. Only work around I see is to go P4P and add the CS Monitor to get that 4K out on HDMI. Wish they’d just put out the new module :shrug:

I just got the HDMI module, a club member got it, but didn't end up using it. I gave him what it cost.
But, question, why not get a DragonTouch V10 or something just for the HDMI 1080p output? Cost is the same $100, but you get another tablet that is reported to work with Go 4. Plus, they are available, unlike the Nvidia K1.
This would allow you to use most any goggles, most up support 1080p, only the Fatshark Dom V3 uses 720p 16x9 native, HD2, is 4x3, doesn't work that well.
720p, is not really that common.

Customer Service has no information, dealers seem to have no information either so I emailed the Devs to see if the new module with 4K capability will be available or not since the modules are indeed different once you pull them off and compare

I haven't put mine in yet, but I will install the HDMI module. 720p is still OK, but it sure would be nice to have 1080p. ;)
From what I have seen, it seems the DJI goggles look good at 720p too. FS Dom V3 is 720p 16x9, so a good match, but 1/3 the FOV.
When I got to try the goggles last weekend, the view was very blurry, but I didn't adjust the IPD, didn't want to screw up hus adjustment, as he flew his Mavic.

Customer Service has no information, dealers seem to have no information either so I emailed the Devs to see if the new module with 4K capability will be available or not since the modules are indeed different once you pull them off and compare
I think you're confusing the HDMI output during flight with the HDMI output by removing the SD card and installing it in the RC to playback the recorded video.

If the P4P+ does in fact playback 4K video from the SD card, and output the 4K through the HDMI port, I would be very very surprised. I just don't believe it, but anything is possible.

Crystalsky displays do allow you to play 4K video from the SD card removed from the craft, and inserted in the CS display, SD slot. You can playback 4K video and see it on the CS display (which isn't 4K) as well as connect to a 4K TV via HDMI cable from the CS HDMI port, supporting full 4K resolution.

Trust me, no HDMI port is going to give you 4K resolution DURING flight to a display, live. The SD card must record it first, and then you remove it from the craft after it lands to play the 4K captured video in a player, such as the Crystalsky display. That's the ONLY way to see 4K video, after you land.

The Crystalsky display is the fastest and easiest way to play captured 4K video to my knowledge, from the SD card. I still haven't see this work in person, but owners of CS says it works, it really does play 4K video out the HDMI port. This is quite convenient in a variety of scenarios, as the CS device is self powered. It can be detached from the RC and you can use CS as a video player of SD cards, kinda unique.

The Inspire 2 will support 1080 live broadcast for a short distance. With the compatible "Tracktenna" this is said to go farther, around 1mi at 1080 quality.

Last edited:
I think you're confusing the HDMI output during flight with the HDMI output by removing the SD card and installing it in the RC to playback the recorded video.

If the P4P+ does in fact playback 4K video from the SD card, and output the 4K through the HDMI port, I would be very very surprised. I just don't believe it, but anything is possible.

Crystalsky displays do allow you to play 4K video from the SD card removed from the craft, and inserted in the CS display, SD slot. You can playback 4K video and see it on the CS display (which isn't 4K) as well as connect to a 4K TV via HDMI cable from the CS HDMI port, supporting full 4K resolution.

Trust me, no HDMI port is going to give you 4K resolution DURING flight to a display, live. The SD card must record it first, and then you remove it from the craft after it lands to play the 4K captured video in a player, such as the Crystalsky display. That's the ONLY way to see 4K video, after you land.

The Crystalsky display is the fastest and easiest way to play captured 4K video to my knowledge, from the SD card. I still haven't see this work in person, but owners of CS says it works, it really does play 4K video out the HDMI port. This is quite convenient in a variety of scenarios, as the CS device is self powered. It can be detached from the RC and you can use CS as a video player of SD cards, kinda unique.

The Inspire 2 will support 1080 live broadcast for a short distance. With the compatible "Tracktenna" this is said to go farther, around 1mi at 1080 quality.

Thanks for some additional info as I was looking at the CS screens as well. I’m going to stop by and chat with the Auth Dealer to grab the literature where they indicated the + model RC module tosses out better quality through HDMI than the module you can buy

Thanks for some additional info as I was looking at the CS screens as well. I’m going to stop by and chat with the Auth Dealer to grab the literature where they indicated the + model RC module tosses out better quality through HDMI than the module you can buy
I'm finding even dealers are clueless about the playback capabilities of CS. Have them demo any feature they can't show you in the manual. I think DJI doesn't provide the best manual on CS for some reason. I was in the DJI store in Costa Mesa 3wks ago, they knew very little about CS playback capabilities at the time. They claimed it didn't playback 4K out the HDMI port, however CS owners claim they've done it with full 4K resolution on a 4K TV.. I'm still waiting for the Ultra model to arrive in the next week or so, allowing me to see first hand how bright 2000 nits really is.

Last edited:
Reactions: CANEKiTA

What software is that?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl