Nvidia shield K1

Thanks for the info. I have also seen talk of a headplays unit as well, not sure though.
I have the Headplay googles and they work fine both plugged into the controller or plugged into the HDMI Out on the Shield tablet. I prefer to use the HDMI on the tablet as it gives you the same info as on the tablet in case you have to make a quick correction to something on the tablet. When you plug in to the tablet it asks if you want to mirror the screen -or- I guess send the video to the goggles and turn off the tablet screen. Anyway I choose "mirror". It takes a while to get used to the wide screen 4" from your eyes as it looks like a wall to wall TV. Some have said the extra fresnel lens they send with the Headplays gives a smaller picture and they like that better as they don't have to move their eyes so much. I haven't tried that yet.

Reactions: NCFlyGuy
It uses a standard usb to micro-usb cable to charge. They've been around since 2007. I'd be pretty shocked if you don't have one laying around. I have one from every cell phone I've owned since 2008. In any case, every description I've seen of the K1 clearly states the USB cable and stylus are not supplied.
The output of each charger NOT always the SAME. My three devices I use - an Apple I pad 2 Air and Samsung Tablet + Nokia mobile phone - all of them have the different output...
Agree with you - I must pay more attention on the description info and any info.

I have the Headplay googles and they work fine both plugged into the controller or plugged into the HDMI Out on the Shield tablet. I prefer to use the HDMI on the tablet as it gives you the same info as on the tablet in case you have to make a quick correction to something on the tablet. When you plug in to the tablet it asks if you want to mirror the screen -or- I guess send the video to the goggles and turn off the tablet screen. Anyway I choose "mirror". It takes a while to get used to the wide screen 4" from your eyes as it looks like a wall to wall TV. Some have said the extra fresnel lens they send with the Headplays gives a smaller picture and they like that better as they don't have to move their eyes so much. I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for the good info. For the price they seem like a good deal, they look really big though. How hot are they to wear in the summer? Do they have any cooling fans or provisions for such?

Thanks for the good info. For the price they seem like a good deal, they look really big though. How hot are they to wear in the summer? Do they have any cooling fans or provisions for such?
Since your nose is outside the device it's not too bad. I don't think there is any fan in there, if there is I haven't seen or heard it. I guess in the middle of summer it could be a bit uncomfortable but the straps are well made and will hold it in place okay I think. Since I just recently got it I haven't really used it that much on warm days here in NW Florida. It's constructed of semi-hard foam and I guess one could add a small fan easily as it's would be easy to cut. I need to add some more of the soft foam they provide to get it off my nose as it gets uncomfortable after a while. It's supposed to rest on your cheek bones so no weight is on your nose. So it may have to do with the shape of one's nose and head if it's an issue or not. Most people say they like them and like I said some people don't like the wall to wall screen as they were used much smaller screens with the Fat Shark type goggles so it takes a while to get used to it. The picture is clear for goggles but not as clear as looking at the video on the Shield. I could barely make out the circular lines of the Fresnel lens. And if you wear glasses most of the glasses frames will fit inside but mine won't.

Reactions: NCFlyGuy
Got the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet a day before Christmas. Looks great. Still need to fly with it. The screen is a magnet for fingerprints. I bought these screen protectors. The seller suggested them and I have no regrets. No fingerprints at all and crystal clear.

What if any are the differences between the original Shield and the K1 Spec wise?

Jack
The batteries on the K1 should not catch on fire like the ones on the original Shield did. The hardware specs are identical but the new K1 does not come with a stylus or charger, so that lowered the price. Also, the K1 has rubberized ends on the speaker areas for better grip. I think that is all.

The only sensor missing from some tablets is a barometric pressure sensor. As far as I know this currently is only used by Litchi's magic leash, and then only matters when following in hilly areas or when there's a a change in elevation along the route.
Also used by Autopilot

Anyone tell me process from playing video in 4K? Do I just take micro sd out of Phantom and pop in K1? What video player? VLC or another? I have read and read posts and haven't seen this answered maybe I am searching for the wrong terms

Never mind, finally figured it out now can play .mov (wont play .mp4) files straight from the Micro SD with the Nvidia shield using the HDMI port. They are in H264 but it played on my new Vizio 70 inch great! I am enjoying the new shield K1, this is one big reason I wanted it.

So...I ordered an ipad mini 4 yesterday.Now I am pondering if I should have gotten the k1...Any suggestions?

Mini 4 should work fine. I have the Nvidia Shield. In my opinion you get more for less money with the shield. Runs the DJI GO and Litchi apps great, and it has an HDMI port and a micro sad card slot. You have to buy several accessories to have the same capabilities with the mini 4 and it cost a lot more to begin with....Shield has GPS and the mini only will if you bought a cellular one...You also have screen record built into the tablet with the Shield.

All in all The mini 4 should be fine..just depends on what else you plan on using it for.

Mini 4 should work fine. I have the Nvidia Shield. In my opinion you get more for less money with the shield. Runs the DJI GO and Litchi apps great, and it has an HDMI port and a micro sad card slot. You have to buy several accessories to have the same capabilities with the mini 4 and it cost a lot more to begin with....Shield has GPS and the mini only will if you bought a cellular one...You also have screen record built into the tablet with the Shield.

All in all The mini 4 should be fine..just depends on what else you plan on using it for.
I got it for $329 the cell version which Verizon just attached it to my plan already. However, that is still $150 more when you consider the taxes. I honestly just wanted a dedicated tablet for my P3pro so I would not keep getting calls on my note5 while flying. And wanted a bigger screen. I can still return it as I have 3 days with verizon

I got it for $329 the cell version which Verizon just attached it to my plan already. However, that is still $150 more when you consider the taxes. I honestly just wanted a dedicated tablet for my P3pro so I would not keep getting calls on my note5 while flying. And wanted a bigger screen. I can still return it as I have 3 days with verizon
They're both great. If you're happy with the 4 keep it, it'll be brilliant. Equally the K1 is great too, just cheaper.

Hmm, I had looked into the Headplay goggles a while back, not for the drone, another project. I thought they were only 5ghz? They have HDMI only version?

The head plays have a hdmi port built in.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

FWIW: I had a HDMI module and now have a Shield K1 with HDMI port. The Shield blows the HDMI module away, as you can see exactly what you see on the screen. So ALL telemetry, the radar on DJI Go, anything. Moreover, there is no discernible lag difference between the module and the HDMI port on the K1. The Shield HDMI also works with apps that don't officially support the official HDMI module. Great and cheap tablet. Just a pity the battery drains so quickly, and the screen could be a bit brighter.

Hi.

Try install "Autobrightness - from Velis" and share the results.
I use it always on my phone and works like a charme on daylight!

Hi.

Try install "Autobrightness - from Velis" and share the results.
I use it always on my phone and works like a charme on daylight!
Thanks but I set maximum brightness all the time. So autobrightness is not necessary.

The funny thing is, I previously ran with a Nexus 7 which is generally recognised as having the brightest screen of all. Now, although on paper the K1 is not as bright, I've found the screen to be easier to use in bright sunlight. Not sure what they've done, but the colours and contrast and lack of glare just seem better to me. I've got my Hoodivision for really bright days anyway, which works a treat.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost