Nvidia shield K1

Just started looking at the K1..

Can someone better explain the following?

If the display resolution is only...

DISPLAY: 8-inch 1920x1200 multi-touch Full-HD display

How is it...

VIDEO FEATURES: 4K Ultra-HD Ready

(Does this refer to output capability on an external display?)

Thank You in advance! :)

It means that Shield can play 4K videos and it can be send to your TV in 4K quality through hdmi output.

Reactions: JustinJ
It means that Shield can play 4K videos and it can be send to your TV in 4K quality through hdmi output.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Sounds very good for the price.. as it can actually handle play of 4K.

I am looking into this more now!..

If there are some editing apps available - it will be King !!

I have been using IOS devices recently & I'm undecided about the iPad pro (which is too big for the rc anyway)

I like the thought of reasonable capabilities that allow everything to be done on the fly !!

JerEl,
Do you have a link to which sunshade you are referring to or prefer? I've been looking at Amazon but there are several brands/models available and don't really know which one is the tried and true best model to go for with the K1, I don't mind waiting for it either. I had also thought of making one but I don't know if it's worth the time and effort when you can buy one pretty cheap $10-15.
I didn't refer to any sunshade other than to state I didn't use one. I did mention the anti-glare film which is like the screen protector film they sell on Amazon. I couldn't see that much difference in the glare though.

As far as making a sun visor it's easy with 2" self stick velcro and a thin plastic sheet. I always make my own sun shields from when I was using the P2 and for the Note 4 using it on my P3P. Haven't made one for the Shield yet. You can get the black plastic sheet here:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QPDU5C?keywords=ABS Sheet - .060" Thick, Black, 12" x 24" Nominal&qid=1450173638&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And the 2" Velcro here:
http://smile.amazon.com/VELCRO-Indu...ie=UTF8&qid=1450173532&sr=1-2&keywords=velcro

It may or may not be cheaper (you could make two out of that sheet) but certainly better. I cut the plastic with a Dremel tool and the Velcro hides the rough edges. I used the fuzzy side on the outside and the hook side on the inside to make it look better. If you want to fold it up make sure you attach the Velcro in the folded position or it will pull the Velcro loose when you try to fold it. The nice thing about making your own is you can make it a lot deeper than the store types which really helps a lot more in bright sunlight.

Edit: The Velcro I listed my be out of your price range but you could use any kind of thick tape. Even that type of packing tape with the nylon threads in it would work. The Velcro adheres well and makes it look kind of professional.

Last edited:
I didn't refer to any sunshade other than to state I didn't use one. I did mention the anti-glare film which is like the screen protector film they sell on Amazon. I couldn't see that much difference in the glare though.

As far as making a sun visor it's easy with 2" self stick velcro and a thin plastic sheet. I always make my own sun shields from when I was using the P2 and for the Note 4 using it on my P3P. Haven't made one for the Shield yet. You can get the black plastic sheet here:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QPDU5C?keywords=ABS Sheet - .060" Thick, Black, 12" x 24" Nominal&qid=1450173638&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And the 2" Velcro here:
Amazon.com : VELCRO - Industrial Strength - 2" Wide Tape, 15' - Black : Mounting Tapes : Office Products

It may or may not be cheaper (you could make two out of that sheet) but certainly better. I cut the plastic with a Dremel tool and the Velcro hides the rough edges. I used the fuzzy side on the outside and the hook side on the inside to make it look better. If you want to fold it up make sure you attach the Velcro in the folded position or it will pull the Velcro loose when you try to fold it. The nice thing about making your own is you can make it a lot deeper than the store types which really helps a lot more in bright sunlight.

Edit: The Velcro I listed my be out of your price range but you could use any kind of thick tape. Even that type of packing tape with the nylon threads in it would work. The Velcro adheres well and makes it look kind of professional.

Thanks for the super fast reply. That's a crafty idea and could be better than some of the ones I've seen constructed on YouTube videos. I like how you made a point on making it longer or "deeper" for better light control. Thanks for the great ideas!

For U.K customers- ordered yesterday from BT Shop online and got it
today,the only mess is - you must buy the charger and any other accessories separately ,which is ridiculous! Never thought someone do not need a charger buying new tablet,does not make any sense for me...

today,the only mess is - you must buy the charger and any other accessories separately ,which is ridiculous! Never thought someone do not need a charger buying new tablet,does not make any sense for me...
It uses a standard usb to micro-usb cable to charge. They've been around since 2007. I'd be pretty shocked if you don't have one laying around. I have one from every cell phone I've owned since 2008. In any case, every description I've seen of the K1 clearly states the USB cable and stylus are not supplied.

I'm not being funny, but that's one of the reasons it's 150 quid!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using headplays out of the HDMI port of the K1? How does it compare quality wise to the DJI HDMI output module?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It looks very good. In this example there was sun shining on the monitor so it's more difficult to see in the video.

So, If the FPV head unit has HDMI input, that would be all that is necessary for use with the K1 or even the DJI HDMI board? Do all FPV goggles have HDMI inputs?

Anyone using theirs with a case? I didn't know if it would be too fat for the RC holder. I worry about dropping it, and I've found Otter box doesn't make anything for it. Just wondering.

Anyone using theirs with a case? I didn't know if it would be too fat for the RC holder. I worry about dropping it, and I've found Otter box doesn't make anything for it. Just wondering.
Not unless you want to overhead the GPU and crash the tablet. If you're worried about dropping it, sit down while you're flying :)

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this. How would it overheat the GPU? It has an HDMI output on the K1 and I thought I could use the goggles as a FPV monitor. How else could I use goggles as FPV with the phantom pro?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this. How would it overheat the GPU? It has an HDMI output on the K1 and I thought I could use the goggles as a FPV monitor. How else could I use goggles as FPV with the phantom pro?
I was referring to your second question irt using a case.

To answer your first question, yes that's all you need, and no not all goggles have HDMI in, but the ones that work best w/ the phantom/inspire line do.

Reactions: NCFlyGuy
I was referring to your second question irt using a case.

To answer your first question, yes that's all you need, and no not all goggles have HDMI in, but the ones that work best w/ the phantom/inspire line do.

I understand now about the case. I'm sometimes a bit clumsy and these tablets and smart phones are so thin and mostly light. In the past having a case with a better grip is usually on my short list of first purchases.
I am so used to standing up when I fly my helis I didn't really think of sitting down for the phantom. I did order the inspires RC phone/tablet mount to stop the wobbles
Is it a short list on which goggles work best with the phantom pro?

I understand now about the case. I'm sometimes a bit clumsy and these tablets and smart phones are so thin and mostly light. In the past having a case with a better grip is usually on my short list of first purchases.
I am so used to standing up when I fly my helis I didn't really think of sitting down for the phantom. I did order the inspires RC phone/tablet mount to stop the wobbles
Is it a short list on which goggles work best with the phantom pro?
FPV Goggles | DJI Phantom Forum :)

Who has this tablet readily available? I've been checking Best Buys website and they keep changing the available date. I have been using the Samsung Tab 4 7", it has quite a bit of lag. I kind of stumbled upon the K1 after reading about its older brother. Iam impressed with the proceccing power for the money. I can only hope the battery issues have been fixed.

Amazon has the Nvidia Sheild K1 available and with Prime free 2 day shipping.
Amazon.com: Nvidia Shield K-1 8.0-Inch 16 GB Tablet (Black): Computers & Accessories

I ordered from BestBuy.com on Monday morning and received it on Tuesday. I also ordered the cover as well, bit of a disappointment for the price. Been happy so far, just need an anti glare screen protector.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.