Nvidia Shield k1 android 6.0 compass issue

Wow, thanks for the info Wacker, that's very helpful.
Here's the issue; for me, there's one very big reason to upgrade: integrated storage. The idea of not having to manually move apps and media between internal and external storage, and sometimes hitting the wall of won't move, is a huge selling point of Marshmallow and one of the main reasons I've been looking forward to it.
However, it's not worth it if it breaks other, more drone-specific things.
Also, I had heard that battery life was greatly improved on 6.0 over 5.x, but you seem to be indicating otherwise...
I guess I'll stick with Lollipop until they get the bugs squished.
Thanks again for your time in explaining these things, especially the warning about not putting the tablet near a metal/magnet source, I'm sure I never would have thought of that one.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Do you have to repeat the compass calibration before every flight, as mentioned by others?

I am not sure if it mandatory, but lot of ppl dont do it. I as a habit have gotten used to compass dance before every flight. Takes a min, but gives me peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have to repeat the compass calibration before every flight, as mentioned by others?
No, if I had to do that I would have definitely went back to Marshmallow. I installed the compass app from google apps and use Google maps. I calibrated the Nvidia shield compass once when I first installed the app and all orientation has been fine since then. I have about 36 flights and about 90 miles total. I do not move anywhere as I just fly from different places on my property as I live in the country on acreage.

There is another 1.1 update for Marshmallow replacing the one that screwed many devices. From forum feedback looks like they fixed problems caused by previous update but compass is still not working.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd still avoid it if I were you, there's nothing more irritating than a dodgy tablet compass as it takes quite a bit of the fun out of it as you're constantly worried about orientation. Lollipop still working beautifully, as long as you NEVER put the Shield on something magnetic (fridge, microwave etc etc).

There is another 1.1 update for Marshmallow replacing the one that screwed many devices. From forum feedback looks like they fixed problems caused by previous update but compass is still not working.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
They still didn't fix the compass? Incredible!

I have the k1 since 1 week and i received it updated to 6.0..considering the 2 options:
is it better to update everything, turn on the tablet and simply launch field compass to calibrate before the flight,
Or downgrading is still a better options? (In case why?)
Thanks!

Compass not working here either on my Shield with Marshmallow OS.
Anyone know how to go back to Lollipop? :(

I have all current updates installed on my shield and all is fine.

download " 360 compass" app,
run it to calibrate the compass and it should be fine

Sorry you're having trouble.
The answer to your question is at the top of this very page.
Please at least read the thread before asking for help that's already been given.
In this case, in page 1, post # 12.

I tried to use field compass but radar still not pointing to right direction, ****!

Dont know how it is with nvidia but if its like many other Androids during and after lollipop; once the bootloader is updated you cannot downgrade unless its the same bootloader which it would not be.

I've kept mine on Android 5, removed 5 magnets from inside it and tried calibrating with the compass apps but I still can't get the compass to point north.
Love the tablet but the compass issue is too much.
If I can't get it working soon, I'll go back to Nexus.

Are you saying the compass doesn't work for any apps or just Litchi and DJI Go?

For some reason my radar never worked on DJI Go.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20