Nvidia Shield k1 android 6.0 compass issue

Reaction score
Just upgraded the Shield to marshmallow. All works fine apart from the compass which seems to have stopped working altogether. Anyone else upgraded with the same issue?

Have you tried a factory data reset? Doing so usually clears up a lot of issues. I haven't yet updated the firmware to Marshmallow, kind of waiting to see how it pans out. Have you flown with the DJI Go app yet and how did go?

Yes, done the reset but still the same. I'd hold off upgrading if I were you, until they sort it. It might just be me of course though. Only had a quick flight on Litchi so far, not tried Go yet. Litchi was fine, apart from the map issue linked to the tablets compass, obviously.

Reactions: NCFlyGuy
Yes, done the reset but still the same. I'd hold off upgrading if I were you, until they sort it. It might just be me of course though. Only had a quick flight on Litchi so far, not tried Go yet. Litchi was fine, apart from the map issue linked to the tablets compass, obviously.
Thanks for the advice. I've never looked forward to OS updates, always seem to cause more problems. Good luck with the Shield, let us know if anything changes or if you get it sorted out.

On my (new) Shield K1 with Marshmallow, the compass also doesn't work. ****. Any way to downgrade?

On my (new) Shield K1 with Marshmallow, the compass also doesn't work. ****. Any way to downgrade?
Download Field Compass from google play. Turn it off and reboot. Click on Field Compass and wave the tablet about a bit. That usually works for me.
There is an inherent problem with the Shield K1. It seems to be very sensitive to magnetic interference. My theory is that it's something to do with shielding or lack of on the speakers. Once you get used to having to calibrate it all the time it's fine though.

I downgraded back to 5.1.1 just now, and the compass calibration problem is gone. The compass works fine, out of the box, and I don't have to recalibrate at all. To me, this is a 6.0 issue, but Nvidia support doesn't acknowledge it (yet?)...
Under 6.0, the compass would only move 10-20 degrees, even if I turned the tablet 180°.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Not sure, I tried raising a bit of interest in it on various forums, but didn't get any feedback whatsoever, apart from the Field Compass fix. I'm interested in your roll back - has it definitely solved the problem permanently? Is it easy enough to downgrade ?

Not sure, I tried raising a bit of interest in it on various forums, but didn't get any feedback whatsoever, apart from the Field Compass fix. I'm interested in your roll back - has it definitely solved the problem permanently? Is it easy enough to downgrade ?

Thanks for the tip and info.
I just got my shield Wed and updated pretty much out of box. never really looked at compass till your post.
It was froze/messed up as mentioned.
I had a different compass program installed but it did not work , even when I did the cal setup in it.
I did install field compass and it says magnetic interference almost anuwhere I was, I still did the figure 8 and it then just started working and functions in the compass.
I will try in phantom later if possible

Yes I've found the secret is to reboot the tablet, then immediately go into field compass and swish it about a bit. After a few seconds it calibrates, then Go/Litchi maps and radarwork fine and show the right orientation etc. I always use the map locked on true North anyway, but it's helpful to have the phantom icon showing it's accurate orientation and the tablets compass needs to be right in order to do that. Bit of a pain to do every time, but it's now become part of my start up routine. It's good practice to cold boot your tablet anyway, so no real hassle. Hopefully they'll sort this over sensitivity in an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk2579
Yes I've found the secret is to reboot the tablet, then immediately go into field compass and swish it about a bit. After a few seconds it calibrates, then Go/Litchi maps and radarwork fine and show the right orientation etc. I always use the map locked on true North anyway, but it's helpful to have the phantom icon showing it's accurate orientation and the tablets compass needs to be right in order to do that. Bit of a pain to do every time, but it's now become part of my start up routine. It's good practice to cold boot your tablet anyway, so no real hassle. Hopefully they'll sort this over sensitivity in an update.
Going to try this tomorrow thanks

I downgraded back to 5.1.1 just now, and the compass calibration problem is gone. The compass works fine, out of the box, and I don't have to recalibrate at all. To me, this is a 6.0 issue, but Nvidia support doesn't acknowledge it (yet?)...
Under 6.0, the compass would only move 10-20 degrees, even if I turned the tablet 180°.
Well, out of curiosity I threw the towel in and rolled back to lollipop. It does appear that the compass is now fine and doesn't require constant recalibration, although it is still very sensitive.

Well, out of curiosity I threw the towel in and rolled back to lollipop. It does appear that the compass is now fine and doesn't require constant recalibration, although it is still very sensitive.
I'll stay with Lollipop for now, but it's crazy Nvidia doesn't even acknowledge this issue in Marshmallow...

I agree. I think the trouble is, most people with these tablets wouldn't even notice the erratic compass so it's a non issue for them and consequently for nvidia. It does seem strange that android 6.0 mucks it up so much. I've tested again this morning and the compass is now perfectly fine under 5.1. Thanks v much for the link to the downgrade instructions .

Bit too homebrew for me, I'd be too scared of bricking the thing. I'm sticking with 5.1 as I'm 100% happy with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31