Not like it was

A

AbsPapa

I have P3P, two months old, 20 flights so far. When I first got it, it flew great. I installed the new firmware, v1.2.6 and now it doesn't fly very well at all. I have lost all confidence in its capabilities. I'd like to give it back to DJI. I don't like feeling ripped off when I buy something. DJI does not come out with any bulletins explaining what we who are having trouble should do. You want me to be patient? I spent a lot of money on this thing. I just want it to work like it did when I got it. I would stop complaining if that would happen. I'm a senior American. I wouldn't advise anyone thinking that they just have to have one of these, don't do it. You are taking a chance you will have to deal with the same frustrations. DJI has not said that they have a problem or that they will fix the problem or that the problem is fixed. Someone on one of these threads said, "DJI can't just give everybody their money back that wants it". DJI's tech support sucks, wait times are excessive. Why don't I just send it back to them in China and let them fix it? It took a long time just to get it. Who knows when I would get it back. They haven't said they can fix it. Buyer beware.

I have the latest firmware on mine. Flies great!

Did you do an IMU calibration and compass calibration after you updated the firmware?

It was just the same with the Vision and Vision Plus last year, issues crop up and they will keep adding new features which tempt even the most determined update-dodger.

Rule #1 - Don't update until it becomes clear there are few if any issues introduced - unless you like solving or reporting them.
Rule #2 - Don't throw toys out of pram, because issues will be fixed sooner or later, and some things will be gradually or dramatically improved too.

It would help to know what problems you are having, could be an easy fix.

Did that. It won't hold a steady hover at all. It moves about 6" in all directions at neutral sticks. It drifts off slowly mostly to the right. If I bring it back it then drifts off to the left. I have to constantly make corrections now or ill lose it. Many other problems also.

I'm kind of dreading flying the phantom with the new firmware... Don't want to lose my investment so I mainly fly my "toy" quads

AbsPapa, I'm a newbie but i will try and help you out. You failed to say
what the problems are in your post.
If you up graded the firm ware to 1.2.6 and got a successful .txt from both you Phantom and also the controller, then you need to calibrate your IMU while it is COLD. Once you calibrate your IMU then you need
to calibrate your compass. Once you have those completed you should
be ready to do your preflight checks and then have fun once again. If you dont know how to do these calibrations, you can go to you tube and there are full videos to watch on how to complete them. Not real hard to do, just don't get frustrated and jump ship. Hope this helps. rmarler

It was just the same with the Vision and Vision Plus last year, issues crop up and they will keep adding new features which tempt even the most determined update-dodger.

Rule #1 - Don't update until it becomes clear there are few if any issues introduced - unless you like solving or reporting them.
Rule #2 - Don't throw toys out of pram, because issues will be fixed sooner or later, and some things will be gradually or dramatically improved too.
Why does DJI continue to operate that way. I didn't want to update but I also could stand getting error messages to do so every time I fired up.

Lost of confidence its perfect description of last firmware update. Im experiencing it too. It flies, it hovers, it returns back and everything, but its just different than before...
I contacted both DJI Europe and DJ HQ in China. There was imediate response from China, that I should contact Dji Europe. There is no response from Europe after two days...

AbsPapa, I'm a newbie but i will try and help you out. You failed to say
what the problems are in your post.
If you up graded the firm ware to 1.2.6 and got a successful .txt from both you Phantom and also the controller, then you need to calibrate your IMU while it is COLD. Once you calibrate your IMU then you need
to calibrate your compass. Once you have those completed you should
be ready to do your preflight checks and then have fun once again. If you dont know how to do these calibrations, you can go to you tube and there are full videos to watch on how to complete them. Not real hard to do, just don't get frustrated and jump ship. Hope this helps. rmarler
Did that. I even put my craft and batteries in front of the air conditioners prior to my IMU calibration.

Did that. It won't hold a steady hover at all. It moves about 6" in all directions at neutral sticks. It drifts off slowly mostly to the right. If I bring it back it then drifts off to the left. I have to constantly make corrections now or ill lose it. Many other problems also.

Mine definitely drifts sometimes up to 6 inches in each direction but when it gets to a certain point it will stop drifting and go back. It seems to stay within a certain "zone." I never thought of it as a bad thing because I know it won't deviate past a certain point. If you let your sticks go completely would it keep going and going or does it stay in a "zone"?

Lost of confidence its perfect description of last firmware update. Im experiencing it too. It flies, it hovers, it returns back and everything, but its just different than before...
I contacted both DJI Europe and DJ HQ in China. There was imediate response from China, that I should contact Dji Europe. There is no response from Europe after two days...
So you have to be unhappy with the end results, right?

Sounds to me like you are in ATTI mode and not GPS mode from your description. I have the latest firmware and after calibration the hover is rock solid with no drifting.

At what height?

Mine definitely drifts sometimes up to 6 inches in each direction but when it gets to a certain point it will stop drifting and go back. It seems to stay within a certain "zone." I never thought of it as a bad thing because I know it won't deviate past a certain point. If you let your sticks go completely would it keep going and going or does it stay in a "zone"?
I haven't allowed it to just drift without correcting the drift with my sticks. Before updating it used to hover like a rock and stay right where I left it. It needs fixing and DJI doesn't have a fix.

Sounds to me like you are in ATTI mode and not GPS mode from your description. I have the latest firmware and after calibration the hover is rock solid with no drifting.
I'm hearing that and that's great but what about all of us that aren't having that kind of good luck? DJI needs to fix us and they don't have a fix.

Low and high. No wind. Doesn't matter.
Do you have IOC enabled? If so, try toggling from GPS to ATTI to GPS, see if that doesn't tighten it up for you. If not, enable it and try.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic