Not like it was

You're not crazy or alone. I know it doesn't seem like it from the responses you have had so far, but many people have reported the same. I personally had the same experience. Just remarkably stable when I first flew the P3. Solid hover like a hummingbird. Really just amazing. After the update, that was gone. No change in gear or settings, just the update and then it drifted all over and lost altitude on its own. Once all the way to the ground where is started to skip to the side. Nothing that couldn't be handled, but a dramatic and surprising difference from its prior performance. Once I saw all of the reports on this forum, I learned that VPS was negatively impacted for many with the FW update. Disabling VPS gets it back to something closer to normal, but it is still not like it was before the FW update. Maybe it never will be again, but I'm hoping a fix to restore the prior performance will be out soon.

In the mean time, I still love to fly and do so whenever I can with no lack of confidence in the Phantom.
You know, a lot of my problem boils down to the fact that I really don't know the technical workings of the Phantom. I thought that the way these drones were advertised by DJI, any novice could fly one of these. And, that is true to a small degree. But in my opinion it really helps to understand the internal workings of the system. DJI only provides you with enough information to unpack the system and turn it on. In fact, if it weren't for this forum and the other owner groups, no one would know about these toys. I don't have any and I mean none/no/nada knowledge of VPS, IOC, MC, what the difference is between the three mode choices, firmware updates, all the different calibrations necessary for maintenance and a lot more technical. But now that I'm getting in to it and all these problems are popping up, I guess I am having second thoughts. I'll have to get over that.

Reactions: HoboDog and dalebb
I have always been of the opinion that if you're not pretty much technically inclined, don't buy one of these drones . I have had to know all sorts of background information not related to drones , but related to programs and apps, for the P 3 to fly correctly.by the way, my P 3 flies perfectly with the update. I think a lot of it has to do with what phone or tab are you using. I have a Samsung s5 and a tab pro 8.4. Both work perfectly. A lot of the problems I think come down to what chip is in your phone and how much memory do you have. If the program locks up you don't have a fast enough chip or enough memory.
You know, I think you have something there. However, DJI doesn't tell you which viewing device is perfect. In fact the one I'm using isn't even on their list (Samsung Galaxy Tab 3). But when I received my aircraft and had several successful flights I was impressed. Enter the new firmware and its not the maching it was. Hence, my dissatifaction.

You know, a lot of my problem boils down to the fact that I really don't know the technical workings of the Phantom. I thought that the way these drones were advertised by DJI, any novice could fly one of these. And, that is true to a small degree. But in my opinion it really helps to understand the internal workings of the system. DJI only provides you with enough information to unpack the system and turn it on. In fact, if it weren't for this forum and the other owner groups, no one would know about these toys. I don't have any and I mean none/no/nada knowledge of VPS, IOC, MC, what the difference is between the three mode choices, firmware updates, all the different calibrations necessary for maintenance and a lot more technical. But now that I'm getting in to it and all these problems are popping up, I guess I am having second thoughts. I'll have to get over that.
Strangely enough, the first operating systems brought to market by Apple and Microsoft had the same barrier to entry for users. Everyone is so used to the "I want **** now" philosophy these days, they forget what it takes for "the ****" to work, now.

DJI seem to have rushed releasing the Phantom 3 to compete with 3DR's Solo. Like someone else stated earlier in another thread. DJI is now playing catch up mode as their product was not ready for release. Unfortunately we are the lab rats and let DJI know of any errors if any errors. That is my opinion. I'm flying the P3 around just fine and I do have to admit I wish I never upgraded to 1.1.9. The first update I did 1.1.7 seemed to let the P3 fly flawlessly. But, something is just different now. App crashes a lot. FPV picture freezes. Loses connection and choppy connection at short distance. The other day I had VPS errors. My P3 was hovering 10-15 feet above ground and on the main screen it said I was -27.5 feet. I flew it last night and the VPS was working just fine. Other than that the P3 flies perfect.
You see, that's what kind of really pisses me off about Americans dealing with foreign countries. They have sold us so many of these things that are really just prototypes, if they stopped making them tomorrow, they already made a ton of our money.

Reactions: dalebb
Strangely enough, the first operating systems brought to market by Apple and Microsoft had the same barrier to entry for users. Everyone is so used to the "I want **** now" philosophy these days, they forget what it takes for "the ****" to work, now.
Boy, I resemble that statement, lol. I gotta stop buying stuff.

Is the new firmware ok to upgrade to? Is everyone experiencing issues or just a few people?

My P3A has been flying great since the updates to 1.2.7 and then 1.2.8.
The Phantom 2 Vision (that I just sold) would drift sideways a few feet whenever I would turn it (yaw) with the left stick. It would then come back to the place where the turn was started.
I read this thread:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/finally-fixed-my-yaw-drift.35131/
about putting a plate of glass across the top of the motors (props off) and level the glass by shimming under the feet with cards or paper. You then do an IMU calibration. I did this using a very precise machinist level, and it cured the problem.
I just found this thread:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/leveling-the-phantom-for-calibration.34454/
and will give it a try.
The Phantom has to be very level for a good calibration, and leveling off the motor shafts eliminates any variation in the landing gear height..

Please read the manual and you would have an understanding of the listed devices and features. The included quick start is not the manual btw. Disable VPS and see if that helps your issues. The VPS bug that was introduced in the last update is only seen on some craft. Others have no issues. This is the only part of the flight logic that was changed.

Next time when you have an issue please post clearly what those are instead of ranting, that will get you nowhere and fast.

Reactions: mmee1992

Honestly besides a few helps slides there not much better. If you had no prior PC use and think you could just turn it on and operate one, it would be like a noob buying his first drone. You can go out and buy a car, you still need to learn how to operate it correctly, right?

People this day and age want instant gratification, they don't want to learn or even try to.. Really a bummer to be honest.

This is an easy fix.
How?
DJI should allow for flexibility in the end user and have some faith and NOT assume everyone is dumb. They assume RTF = no idea and therefore not qualified.
Allow factory reset with zero firmware (P2 had the Naza Jumper option that fixed dud gimbal firmware updates). This wipes all firmwares and allows a fresh install, like formatting a PC.
Allow firmware roll backs - stick the nominated firmware on the SD card at let it roll back!!!

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Is the new firmware ok to upgrade to? Is everyone experiencing issues or just a few people?
I have had nothing but trouble since I updated. My craft flew great before I updated. Now, it sucks. And yes not everyone is having trouble after they update. But quite a few are and none of us are happy. My advice would be, if you are flying just fine without updating, then don't update. However, if you don't you will have to put up with the error messages every time you power up.

Reactions: mmee1992
Well, my beef is that it did hold firm prior to me updating the firmware to v1.2.6. It just floats all over within that 6 inches, maybe more.
Six inches isn't very far. That's well within the precision of GPS.
Try a handheld GPS unit and you'll find it's +/- 1.5 metres.

I didnt update yet.. Saw some complains and decided to not do it!

Waiting for the next weeks to see what happen

To finish. Many times some people say that a message will show up when u have old fw... Man, its just one word and just in the begginning "of the session".. I think i can survive with it

I have done the firmware update and did at least 5 flights no issues. On Saturday I tried to fly, I did a auto takeoff. After it started it was drifting a few feet I was caught of guard. So before anything happened I landed with no problem. When I was leaving to head home the GPS in my truck was showing my truck a few street off from where I really was. I am a amateur radio operator so I checked the solar storm report it showed a major solar flare hours before I tried to fly. Just remember the quads have technology that can be affected by such abnormalities. We are always quick to say something's wrong with the quad. The next day I tried again and it performed like it has in the past 50 flights stable.

Reactions: AbsPapa
Please read the manual and you would have an understanding of the listed devices and features. The included quick start is not the manual btw. Disable VPS and see if that helps your issues. The VPS bug that was introduced in the last update is only seen on some craft. Others have no issues. This is the only part of the flight logic that was changed.

Next time when you have an issue please post clearly what those are instead of ranting, that will get you nowhere and fast.
Thanks Blade for noting again that a VPS issue was indeed introduced for some. I know you have done so several times before, but it seems that the folks who are not impacted are still trying to insist that the folks who are impacted must be doing something wrong. Your reminder will hopefully help with awareness.

Also as noted, VPS off for the time being keeps things relatively normal while the fix is being perfected at HQ.

Go fly you guys! Your P3 is still amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Stephan
I have had nothing but trouble since I updated. My craft flew great before I updated. Now, it sucks. And yes not everyone is having trouble after they update. But quite a few are and none of us are happy. My advice would be, if you are flying just fine without updating, then don't update. However, if you don't you will have to put up with the error messages every time you power up.
I would say your best bet is to turn off VPS for now and do a cold IMU calibration. Make sure the surface that you calibrate on is level as well. Hope you find hope in your P3. I love mine.

I just noticed mine is just not the same as it was before the last firmware update. It was rock solid before and I could not even find any thing funny or it doing any thing it was not supposed to do. But today I also noticed 2 weird things that I never have had happen with the p3 before and never seen in any of my other phantoms.

The first thing I noticed today was if I fly forward and let off the sticks it dont just level off and come to a stop but it actually will pitch towards the other side almost just like going forward then suddenly yanking back on the stick to bring it back. THo not a big deal and just some thing its never done before. BUT one other thing its doing which is not to cool is right after it stops it will hook over to the left a few feet if if I come to a dead stop after going forward and if I'm flying back wards to bring it back and let off the stick it stops but then hooks to its right a few feet. It was sort of hary to being I was flying up and down the alley behind my house and flying in the center of the ally and a few times it almost hit some of the fences on the sides of the ally. and its a pretty wide alley but if it was even a foot less wider i would of been kissing the fences.. Thats definitely not right and was never that out of whack before nore have any of my others ever did any such thing. Then I took it up to make sure it was clear of any thing and when I was just hovering and looking at some stuff in the app and playing with some camera settings I notices on the screen that the gimbal keep yawing to the left on its own. even when the nose was staying pointed the same way. But from the view on the screen it looked the same as if I did a slow yaw with the left stick. Then if i did move the craft and yaw it it would stay ok for a few seconds if just hovering and then it would do it again. It was even doing it when I had it landed and one the ground. Tho being it started after the last update Im sure what ever it is will be addressed with the next firmware update they come out with. Tho I'm also sure it will fix them things but have some new thing pop up that did work right before.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj