Noob question about hand launching

I've hand launched a couple times and all seemed fine. My concern is that when hand launching the aircraft is most likely not as level and stationary as it is when on the ground. Can this cause a problem with flight stability?
The P3 will try to stay level as determined when you calibrated the IMU. It will always try to fly UP on launch, not sideways. If YOU are sideways and the P3 is trying to go up (say on rocking boat or a steep hillside) you might have an issue with the intersection of you and the bird. But once it's in free flight, it's OK.

f@#king brilliant. One guy is taking someones head off while the other is jerking the controls 10 times fast. No wonder the FAA is cracking down.
I flip my toggles switches 10 times to get the Quadcopter motors started I launch from from the Ground . Never read in the DJI I nstruction manuels to Launch or Catch over your head . How many times does it take for you to toggle the switches to start your Quadcopter ? ? And which Quadcopter do you have . I guess you have found a way to start your motor's while holding your Quadcopter above your head and to launch , same hand catching and shut down the motors.

I flip my toggles switches 10 times to get the Quadcopter motors started I launch from from the Ground . Never read in the DJI I nstruction manuels to Launch or Catch over your head . How many times does it take for you to toggle the switches to start your Quadcopter ? ? And which Quadcopter do you have . I guess you have found a way to start your motor's while holding your Quadcopter above your head and to launch , same hand catching and shut down the motors.
WHAT?????!
Toggle to start motors? My controller doesn't even have toggles. P3P.
When I click my ruby red slippers together, my motor starts. Then I fly away to never never land.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What's this toggle 10 times stuff ? CSC motor start. I always hand catch. The only circumstance I can think of where I would hand launch is on the side of something otherwise launch from the top of my case every time. I guess if you don't have a case or are in a remote place hand launch is ok. Seems like an easy maneuver.. Controller with neck strap in left hand. Bird in right hand. CSC start, power up until it lifts out of your hand.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Will auto launch work when it's designed to hover at 3 1/2 FT.
Intriguing idea. Would make the hand launch a lot easier. Can be a little difficult using one hand to start motors. Maybe the 3 1/2 ft hover height would be from the starting point of around 6 feet assuming you hold it a little over your head to launch. Anyone want to test this? I would today but really windy here.

Yeah. I would probably never hand launch but I would practice it just in case I need that skill someday.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Besides doing a CSC to start the motors, you are aware that you can also start the motors and take off using DJI Go from the touch screen, right?

A few times I had to take off from a dusty old road, and was surprised by the amount of dirt and dust threwn up by the propellers - it's like a miniature tornado. I would not think that it's particularly healthy for the bird to get all that dust into the gimbal, the motors and the inside through those ventilation holes on the arms... Hand launching would be a better option, I am sure.

//Tom

Reactions: Trackman1
That's why I carry a convenient, light to carry, launch pad. Prevents all of that dusty turmoil, at takeoff and landings. ;-)
If nothing else was available, I would take off, from my hardshell backpack. And find a soft place to land. Perhaps on some short grass.
There is always a solution to practically any RC problem.
But hey, what ever suits the situation.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Greetings.

I just wanted to chime in with another option that we've just released that allows for easy takeoff and landing on non-perfect surfaces (sand, dust, rock) and even water! One of our key design motivations was to also allow for safe takeoffs and landing without the need to hand launch or hand catch. It really works well, so check it out if you get a chance! It you watch the full video, you can see a lot of use cases. We are still learning of new applications almost every day.

WaterStrider: Perfect Footage. Confident Landings. Anywhere.

I'm happy to answer any questions that you have about it.

Tried the auto launch it works but imu doesn't help matters, going to try a 12x12- 1/4 in. Plywood platform held above head with drone next time .

Hand catching is cool, hand launching isn't because if your by yourself you need to start the motors then pick it up.. Needlessly risky

Never tried to hand launch. Done lots of hand catches though. I tend to bring it in just above head height. Then walk underneath. Reach up and hold. Then left stick down to turn off blades.

I may try a hand launch though. More than once, even from the top of my rucksack, the wind has caught it and tipped it over. Once in the air its ok but getting it there is sometimes a problem. On here somewhere is a topic where the guy has caught his arms in the blades. Hardly slashing with razors though. Doubt if you could "cut your hand off" even if you were daft enough to try.

On a sandy or rocky beach or uneven ground hand catching is simple. Launching from hand isn't difficult either. There are areas that are wet, sandy etc. where I wouldn't want to set it on the ground. Off a boat there isn't (depending on the boat) a place to safely launch or land without doing it by hand.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik