Noob question about hand launching

Reaction score
As I understand it, you have to move both control sticks to start the motors which presumably means the craft has to be on the ground so you have both hands free to move both sticks. Does this mean that in order to hand launch you have to then pick up the craft while the rotors are spinning?

As I understand it, you have to move both control sticks to start the motors which presumably means the craft has to be on the ground so you have both hands free to move both sticks. Does this mean that in order to hand launch you have to then pick up the craft while the rotors are spinning?
Don't hand launch unless you'd like to lose said hand. I don't like hand catching either unless absolutely necessary but that's been debated enough elsewhere.

I have read about hand catching throughout the forum and do that myself, but I have not come across hand launching and don't recommend it.

I am trying to follow your message . You will need both hands to toggle both toggle switches up and down FAST 10 times from the very top position to the bottom inside corners to activite all motors , if you don't do this the motors will not start Make sure before this that you have Green lights and the Safe to Fly on your I-pad or phone using the Dji Go App . If your motors start while the Quadcopter is on the ground , why would you try to hand launch .I also use the neck strap connected to my Remote, that way I have control of both toggle switches . I don't want the feeling if the Quadcopter shifting in my hand and Drop my remote.Practice this taking off and landing from the ground and flying box squares for your 1st few flights. My satisfaction is bringing back the Quadcopter for a Safe Smooth landing. I do not want the Quadcopter blades to re-arrange my eyes and face . Buy you a $30.00 Quadcopter and practice hand launching and retreval. You will feel the sting when the blades hit you, most likely you won't need stitches

"Does this mean that in order to hand launch you have to then pick up the craft while the rotors are spinning?"

Reactions: Rocky50
Up and down fast 10 times to get motors started?[/QUOTEIMWOULD I . believe I was following a DJI Video on you tube. How many up and down toggle's to get yours started . I am using a DJI 3 Pro

I tend to launch and land on the ground but in uneven places like the beach I hand catch and launch. To launch just hold the bird at arms length and lean the controller on your knee and use one hand to move both sticks. A neck strap or double harness would make that easier.

Hand catching is easy. Let it hover just slightly above head height and then grab it with a stretched arm. The props will be above your head and your hand so you'll grab it easily.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't know where all this nonsense about toggling switches 10 times came from, but it's a load of rubbish. To start the motors, simply move both control sticks to the bottom inside corners at the same time, and let them return to their central position as soon as the motors start.

If you find yourself in a situation where hand launching is your only option -(maybe the side of a steep hill with no flat area available)- it's quite easy to move the sticks with the finger and thumb of one hand, while holding the Phantom above your head by grasping the legs of the landing gear. Obviously, using a neck strap makes it much easier.

Reactions: sydneymark
I hand catch 95% of the time as it is really easy and I will not have to risk landing on an uneven surface with a potential tipover as result. I just let the copter hover safely above head height, carefully walk to it, reach out for the back right landing gear with one hand, and hold down the throttle stick for three seconds with my other hand to shut down the motors.

I would not want to hand launch though, as I am a bit unsure whether or not the Phantom will start drifting about on takeoff, and I find the thought of ending up with a propeller lodged in my face or hand quite unpleasant, to be honest.

//Tom

Last edited:
a perfect hand launch & catch from a sailboat:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

a non-perfect non-hand launch:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: grottoli
That's a silly way to take off... By hand.
Hand Launching
I would never attempt to tempt fate.
Hand Launching
Too much to lose, for so little gain.
And then, there's my Motif XF8. ;-)

I want to always take off from an open clear area that will also provide me the advantage having a good landing area in the event of RTH. I Don't want any odd landing spots, cliff side.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:

Oh god, plz read the manual again.
Flicking the switch quickly is to force a compass calibration.
Both sticks down and in to start motors.

Hand launching is pretty easy. Here's what I do, useful for when it's windy.

Controller on a neck strap. Hold phantom in the right hand over head or straight out in front.

With the controller dangling, use the whole of your left hand fully extended to grab both sticks and CSC. when the motors start, grab the controller in your left hand, throttle up, and release when you feel the craft strain to go upwards.

It's really not that difficult. And I hand catch 100% of the time.

Hand launching is pretty easy. Here's what I do, useful for when it's windy.

Controller on a neck strap. Hold phantom in the right hand over head or straight out in front.

With the controller dangling, use the whole of your left hand fully extended to grab both sticks and CSC. when the motors start, grab the controller in your left hand, throttle up, and release when you feel the craft strain to go upwards.

It's really not that difficult. And I hand catch 100% of the time.

Ok, sounds like the right way to go - will give it a try once the weather turns reasonable again...

Although I sometimes wonder if the landing gear is strong enough to hold the full weight of the copter during launch and catch, without developing cracks in the plastic shell or something...

//Tom

I've hand launched a couple times and all seemed fine. My concern is that when hand launching the aircraft is most likely not as level and stationary as it is when on the ground. Can this cause a problem with flight stability?

Thank you for all your replies. People here are right - hand launching sounds way more dangerous than hand catching. The only reason I wanted to do it is because in the English countryside it is surprisingly difficult to find places to launch - every field belongs to some farmer or other and country lanes are too narrow to launch from. And I find it takes ages to find, say, a farm gate with a bit of space in front of it so as to be away from a road.

Hand launching would solve that problem...but then, I'm very attached to my hands (and fingers) to try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers