Noob question about hand launching

I'm still flying my P1s. As I understand that at power up the quad should be level and not moved so the gyro stabilization takes place. After that I don't see hand launching being a problem although I have never done it. I have caught them and powered up again to fly. It's about the same thing. I don't know if the P2, P3, and P4 needs to be level at power up. I would think so. If they do need to be level at start up, I think that would be difficult on a boat or on the side of a hill etc.

I always carry a light convenient launch pad, when ever I take my drone with me, which is every single day. Like some of my other valuable asset, I never leave home without it. It's like a survival kit. You never know when I one will need it to fly and capture. . . . & so much like a boyscout, always be prepared... Ha
It's become part of my pilots flight kit. Fits in the frunk. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: davidzimagery
I tried it once just so I know how it works. I hung the RC by the strap and tipped the tablet so it was accessable. I held the quad landing gear strut with my left hand. I touched the start icon on the RC and swept the slider with my right hand. It was a little unnerving as the copter reved up. I let it go above head high, and stepped back as I did. It went into a hover until I took control. I've done a hand grab landing a few times. That wasn't too bad. I'll only use either method if there is no other way.

Why on earth would you do that? Where did you even get the idea to start it that way?
Here is why I want to hand launch. My fishing buddies a I go fishing and camping for a week each year. This year I have a new Phantom 3 Pro, I think it would be neat to send the drone up to hover in position and film us fishing together. We fish on a lake and we do not fish if it is very windy day. Our boats are small with just enough room for our gear and a battery with a trolling motor. So hand launching is the only way to get it in the air. In the 20 or so minutes I will be filming we could catch quite a few fish and it would be an awesome video. By the way my fishing buddies are my son and my grandson, the video would be very special to us.

Reactions: mikesmiley
Here is why I want to hand launch. My fishing buddies a I go fishing and camping for a week each year. This year I have a new Phantom 3 Pro, I think it would be neat to send the drone up to hover in position and film us fishing together. We fish on a lake and we do not fish if it is very windy day. Our boats are small with just enough room for our gear and a battery with a trolling motor. So hand launching is the only way to get it in the air. In the 20 or so minutes I will be filming we could catch quite a few fish and it would be an awesome video. By the way my fishing buddies are my son and my grandson, the video would be very special to us.

I was referring to the guy who says he flips the toggle switch on his remote ten times in a row as fast as he can to start up his aircraft, which is one of the strangest things I've ever heard.

With your situation in a fishing boat, hand launching and catching is the only way to go. My only advice would be to avoid carbon fiber props, as they will cut you deep and wide if you were to have a mishap. Not to mention that they are a waste of money anyway.

I think it's very cool that three generations of your family are able to get out there and have good times like that, and I agree that it would make for some very special video.

it's really easy to hand launch/recover but at sea on a moving boat in gusty conditions it helps to have a lunatic as your assistant:-
default.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"You will need both hands to toggle both toggle switches up and down FAST 10 times from the very top position to the bottom inside corners to activite all motors..." I hope you're being facetious...

Why not use the "one touch launch" feature?

Reactions: davidzimagery
"You will need both hands to toggle both toggle switches up and down FAST 10 times from the very top position to the bottom inside corners to activite all motors..." I hope you're being facetious...

Why not use the "one touch launch" feature?
Did several hand launches and retrieves today, here is what I found. If you hold the Phantom 3 with one hand at the base of the drone where the leg attaches to the body and use the other hand to pull both controls down and in the drone will start, at this point the controller is in my lap. If you tilt the drone you can feel when it is NOT trying to correct for level, when all props are turning the same speed just push up on the left control and the Drone will lift straight up. Release and away she goes. I did this several times with no problems. Remember when the drone is level you will not feel any level corrective thrust. Everything becomes smooth and the drone just idles waiting for you up command. Worked great for me every time!!!!

I don't understand why no one else is suggesting the "one touch launch" feature?
I've never used the two lever method for any start up. With one finger you can do the slider start up method. You either need a strap or set the RC on something solid.

Reactions: rockymtnrob65
Are you referring to Auto Takeoff, from the screen? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Are you referring to Auto Takeoff, from the screen? ;-)

RedHotPoker
Yes, I am. After my above reply, I went out and tried the lever start up and shut down on the ground, so I know how it works. The lever start up results in the props running at an idle. I did manage to do it with one hand, but it was awkward, and that was standing on a solid, stable surface. I assume if you hand launch that way, you'd have to get right on the throttle, so it doesn't fall to the ground or water, what ever it's held over. Now if it revs up and hovers if you let it go in this case, I get it. If not, and you mess up with the throttle, I'd think there would be a crash problem. I wasn't going to try it to find out. I have also done a hand launch using the auto take off on the screen. Like I stated earlier, it does want to pull away and it is somewhat disconcerting. The one time I did it, I made sure to back away as I released it and it went into a hover, giving me time to coordinate the RC controls as needed.

Last edited:
I only take off and land manually using the RC sticks to control the drone, and have never had a problem with either method.
I understand others need a safe method if the ground is unsuitable to launch/land safely or if taking off from a boat, out in open water.
But I am a landlubber and stay well grounded. Ha
Unless in my tree stand, during the early fall, deer season. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Myself, I always use a convenient light launch pad, which I carry with me, every where I travel with my Phantom 3.

RedHotPoker

We no longer need to hand catch or launch on difficult terrain when we're using WaterStrider. Just set it down and take off. When landing....just land.

Here is our latest fun video showing a variety of takeoffs and landings with WaterStrider from water and other difficult terrain. The campaign ends on Monday, so time is running short to get a WaterStrider from our production runs in June and July (June is already full).

On the campaign page and YouTube channel you can see other cool videos and pictures in heavy wind, soccer ball sized rock fields, etc. No problem. The link is in my signature below.

Myself, I always use a convenient light launch pad, which I carry with me, every where I travel with my Phantom 3.

RedHotPoker

I keep a 2' x 3' piece of fiber/press board that came off a packing crate at work in my truck. It cost nothing and does the job.

We no longer need to hand catch or launch on difficult terrain when we're using WaterStrider. Just set it down and take off. When landing....just land.

Here is our latest fun video showing a variety of takeoffs and landings with WaterStrider from water and other difficult terrain. The campaign ends on Monday, so time is running short to get a WaterStrider from our production runs in June and July (June is already full).

On the campaign page and YouTube channel you can see other cool videos and pictures in heavy wind, soccer ball sized rock fields, etc. No problem. The link is in my signature below.

What sort of flight time and distance are you getting with those?

What sort of flight time and distance are you getting with those?

Depending on the type of filming that we're doing, we sometimes see equivalent useful flight time. Unlike a landing pad, the WaterStrider allows you to land pretty much any time and place that you desire. This allows for greater operational flexibility. You can, for example, land 200 yards away without having to prepare or move close to the drone for landing. This can save battery while you are waiting for exactly the right shot or light position or subject to move where you need it. In addition, it saves you from having to fly back and forth for landings so much if you're filming a lot of intermittent footage.

In a pure hover vs. hover side-by-side situation, the WaterStrider costs about 30% on the battery life. So, it really depends on the use case.

We had one person who wants to use WaterStrider to film rowing competitions with the drone but always wastes battery hovering at the finish line waiting for the race to start. Then he may not have enough battery left to film the full race. With WaterStrider, he'll simply land near the finish line until the race really starts and then takeoff and complete the filming.

I have never yet needed to hand launch. Doesn't mean I won't ever need to though. I only hand catch when needed. Not afraid of catching, I just don't see the need to risk fingers when its unnecessary. Props are cheap. Digit reattachment isn't.

I appreciate the thoughts and tips on the subject here. Its always nice to have an extra tool in your kit for when you need it. Thanks.

Ok, I am going to share an awesome test of rotor blade against flesh, with you guys that will put an end to the hand catching/launching dilemma for many. Rather than bury it in this thread, I will start a new one.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Wolfiesden

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic