No Video Feed and Non Responsive Gimbal - Fixed

It didn't work. The more I keep reading abut this problem, I'm going to have to buy a new camera/gimbal assembly

Ok after watching several how to videos on you tube I took apart my gimbal/camera. On the ribbon cable that wraps around the camera my ribbon is split in two. How in the world that happened is beyond me. Now comes the choice of buying $500usd complete camera/gimbal or the replacement ribbon. Any thoughts on how hard this will be?

I had the same video disconnect problem after updating the RC, what fixed mine was a cold calibration of the IMU. I put the Phantom in the fridge for about 40 min then did the IMU calibration immediately after taking it out of the fridge. I burned thru 3 batteries now with no loss of video!! Go figure...

I had the same video disconnect problem after updating the RC, what fixed mine was a cold calibration of the IMU. I put the Phantom in the fridge for about 40 min then did the IMU calibration immediately after taking it out of the fridge. I burned thru 3 batteries now with no loss of video!! Go figure...
now that is a COLD IMU calibration--:D:D maybe some of these other chaps having these issues will follow your lead.:):)

Hey...I was skeptical too, but you can't argue with results :) I was under the impression that the IMU had nothing at all to do with the video signal transmission, but I was incorrect. The owner of Drones Plus (and one the techs as well) said the IMU is more like a CPU than a flight controller. It controls more than just the ESC's and Gyroscope...

Last edited:
Hey...I was skeptical too, but you can't argue with results :) I was under the impression that the IMU had nothing at all to do with the video signal transmission, but I was incorrect. The owner of Drones Plus (and one the techs as well) said the IMU is more like a CPU than a flight controller. I controls more than just the ESC's and Gyroscope...
They are absolutely right --

They also told me that the "cold" calibration helps by adjusting the "warm up" time for the Phantom. My P3P had the shell replaced during a heatwave we had here in the Bay Area about a month ago. After replacing the shell, they re-calibrated the IMU in their warehouse which was about 90 degrees. That caused the "operating" temp of P3P to change to a much higher temperature which was recorded during the IMU calibration. When I got it home to my house (which is on the coast and much cooler) it would take as much as 5 min to "warm up" before I could fly at all. It would just sit there, and the app would show a message that read "aircraft warming up"...this never happened before the shell replacement. The tech at Drones Plus said that there are alot of background processes that start up when you turn on your Phantom, and the IMU taking too long to "warm up" can cause some of these processes to "fail"...After the "cold" calibration, I have zero "warm up time" and the video is completely stable again!!

They also told me that the "cold" calibration helps by adjusting the "warm up" time for the Phantom. My P3P had the shell replaced during a heatwave we had here in the Bay Area about a month ago. After replacing the shell, they re-calibrated the IMU in their warehouse which was about 90 degrees. That caused the "operating" temp of P3P to change to a much higher temperature which was recorded during the IMU calibration. When I got it home to my house (which is on the coast and much cooler) it would take as much as 5 min to "warm up" before I could fly at all. It would just sit there, and the app would show a message that read "aircraft warming up"...this never happened before the shell replacement. The tech at Drones Plus said that there are alot of background processes that start up when you turn on your Phantom, and the IMU taking too long to "warm up" can cause some of these processes to "fail"...After the "cold" calibration, I have zero "warm up time" and the video is completely stable again!!
Yes, the Cold IMU calibration is well documented in threads on this forum. I put mine in the freezer also-- not 40 minutes-- but 5 minutes and the IMU works fine-- Mine is connected and ready to fly in about 30 seconds. I could fly it on Atti even quicker. Happy that you got your issues resolved and can enjoy the bird for what it is meant to do.:)

Hey BobMyers...how do you like the DBSmod antenna? I was thinking about getting one...

Hey BobMyers...how do you like the DBSmod antenna? I was thinking about getting one...
I like it -- it is very good at 3 miles-- but I got it for better penetration through trees at distances up to 1/2 mile-- penetration is better and signal strength is good. It was worth the purchase.

Those mods are a little over $100, right?

Those mods are a little over $100, right?
Correct and there are youtube videos available to help with the installation. Pretty easy install, just pay attention to the ribbon cable when you take the controller apart.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20