No Fly Zone Map Less Than Helpful

Reaction score
I'm in the congested airspace of SoCal. I thought I could maybe use DJI's no fly map to help me stay out of trouble. No FLY Zones | DJI . The map changes every time I visit, which was encouraging. Unfortunately, nearby airports like Burbank appear and then DISappear. The map also fails to note Disneyland, a 3 mile no fly zone published weeks ago by the FAA.
Since there is no general contact info on DJI's site, I thought I'd post here in hopes someone there sees it and as a public service to let others know the map is not presently all-inclusive.

Does anyone know of any that work in Australia?
I have been trying an app put out by wicked copters called Safe To Fly but it is very slow and lags a lot and as it is based mainly on the DJI no fly zone map it is extremely inaccurate at best.
There are many active airfields and heliports not included and of those that are included many have been noted as a higher grade of airport than they actually are in reality.
For instance there are a lot of airfields that are said to be international airports that are permanently towered but are actually small reginal airfields and some that are on private land that are there for emergency use,ie. for the flying doctor,and are no more than a dirt strip with no infristructure at all,not even a wind sock,but they are listed as regional or international airports.
It's good to know they are there but some accuracy as to the type of airfield would be better.

These Apps are not an 'end all be all' for no fly information. "Don't Fly Drones Here" has Military Bases, Commercial Airports
and National Parks missing from their map. No two sites are the same, save major airports. It's best that you do your own homework,
and check maps for these restricted areas yourself. "My App said it was O.K. to fly here." will probably be met with, "Your App is wrong".

Don't Fly Drones Here does not show Marathon Airport, the Key West Naval Air base, Key West Int'l Airport, or any
of the National Parks in the area as No Fly areas. I'll bet there's more to be found, just by looking.

I have been trying an app put out by wicked copters called Safe To Fly but it is very slow and lags a lot and as it is based mainly on the DJI no fly zone map it is extremely inaccurate at best.
Yeah, I've since found one called "RPAS Logger" that has a type of flight logging system, but additionally an up-to-date map of airports in the area. I wish it had additional no fly zones, but it's quite accurate.

Thanks for the tip on 'RPAS Logger' Rumbaar,I'll look out for it and give it a try.

I was under the impression that in a no fly zone the Phantom would not start. I live within a 5 mile radius of Burbank Airport and I can start my P3A in my backyard without any warnings from the app. I haven't actually flown it here, but I wanted to test if it worked. Any idea why it lets me do that?

I was under the impression that in a no fly zone the Phantom would not start. I live within a 5 mile radius of Burbank Airport and I can start my P3A in my backyard without any warnings from the app. I haven't actually flown it here, but I wanted to test if it worked. Any idea why it lets me do that?
The current "no fly zones" in the DJI GO app are based on this map. No Fly Zones | DJI The circle for Burbank appears to be quite small. So you likely were outside of it.

The new DJI GEO system shows a much wider circle for Burbank and you likely will be inside of it, but the system will allow you to "authorize" yourself to fly within it once you are verified. DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl